• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Revoltech Eva Provisional Unit 05

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
seriously, what the heck? I will never get used to the design. EVER.
It's like Eva mixed with Fuunsaiki. But I would have bought a fuunsaiki revoltech in a heartbeart.
fmagrave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
!!!Evangelion 2.0 spoiler!!!

Considering that the unit lasts all but the first five minutes of the movie, this is no huge loss.
Vent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
It's not supposed to look like an EVA. It's the upper torso of an EVA hastily slapped together on a mechanical lower half and some wheel legs so it can get drug around on a rail.

But I digress lest this turn into big deal about the Eva movies and I don't think anyone wants that.

The toy seems like it went for accuracy above quality which is never ever a good move. There is such a thing as compromise but Revoltech has apparently never heard of it!
Kylemakk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Wow. Every time I see a picture of this thing I immediately think "Spider-Eva". And then I think of how I hate spiders. And then I think about squashing them.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
JAJAJAJAJA, the krauser is into EVA's.... BTW I liked the first ending too!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
It's a pretty pointless thing to have in the movies, too,spoiler[ since it's destroyed a minute after it's introduced in 2.0.]

I do, however, feel like the movies do add a little something to the mythos. We get a version of the movies that seems to have a smoother narrative. However, it's also sort of sacrificed for a more traditional, paint-by-numbers delivery that saps some of the creativity of the original series at times.

But I suppose that's a different topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Faceman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
All I have to say is:

WHOSE RESPONSIBLE THIS?!
giascle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
All I have to say is:

WHOSE RESPONSIBLE THIS?!

Anno
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quote
Rob wrote:
But why am I bitching about the design of the toy when that design is clearly accurate to the movie?

Funny thing is, it's not. The colors are actually based on concept art, they're actually releasing this same figure a second time with movie accurate colors soon. The other "funny thing" is this guy is getting two releases at retail while Unit 00 ended up as a 7-11 exclusive and Unit 03 was a mook (magazine book) exclusive). Yeah, sometimes Kaiyodo just doesn't make sense...

Also the bonus little purple guy that came with him (Miniature Revoltech Assemble Borg Jarkanoid) doesn't have tight joints, he actually only has two real joints, the rest are dummy joints in a fixed pose. Yeah, I don't really get the point either.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad to hear that that monstrosity only has a brief life, because I've always found it awful-looking. I couldn't imagine owning a model of it.

Before I go on to read the rest of the review though, which I'm sure is hilarious, I have to put in my two cents on the movies. Short version: I don't think they are a money grab at all. The first movie, even having stayed mostly in line with the segment of the original which is covers, was a blast to watch. The battle with Ramiel 2.0 (or 1.0, as it were) alone was worth the ticket price. Also, the point at which You Are (Not) Alone ended clearly separated this new venture from the television series from a storytelling viewpoint, never mind the differences that showed up throughout the movie's run. Adding to that is the countless times the production staff have said that from 2.0 onwards, we're going to be looking at a very different story.

All I'm saying is that you're missing out on something great if you are assuming that the movies are "same shit different day". Furthermore, these movies don't need to "add" anything to the original in order to be worthwhile; they only need to be different.

Add: I appreciate Krauser's sentiments.

Last edited by Big Hed on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
Interesting to see what it looks like in full. It was sort of hard to see in the film. That, and like the others have said, it only lasts a short time and was unfinished, so it's acceptable. The sequence was pretty cool too.

I do agree that I'm not as enamored with the aesthetic changes to the Evas this time around. The color schemes just seem off, for lack of a better term. I'm told it's so they stand out better in dark scenes, but it rarely seemed an issue. I've gotten used to them, but 00 orange/white/gray balance is just weird looking. Unit 06 looks interesting from the little I've seen.

That said, don't count out the films before even watching them. Saying they aren't trying without even seeing them just makes you look like someone who's made their mind up before the credits even roll. What are you basing that conclusion on? The mere fact that there's new merchandise? Wink I'm a big fan of the original as well (I like the TV ending too, but prefer EoE), but aside from some overused CGI, the films are an interesting revisitation. The climax to 1.0 alone almost makes it all worth it. Sagisu's new music is also quite fantastic (even if the choir thing I love so much is getting a touch overexposed).

Oh course they'll merchandise the hell out it, but they already were to begin with. So nothings really changed outside of some new designs to collect.

Thanks for the poseabilty heads up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
Faceman wrote:
All I have to say is:

WHOSE RESPONSIBLE THIS?!

Anno

He is what you call the best of the best at what he does.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote
It should be mentioned that not all ANN staffers have quite such a dislike for this model in particular. This reviewer doesn't seem to be so ill at ease with this figure, unless Kaiyodo have made more than one type of Unit 05 model.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
as others have said,

minor spoilers...

...Eva-05 only appears in the opening fight scene of Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 ...and it's destroyed at the end of that fight scene. It on-screen life lasts under 5 minutes.

Further, the ENTIRE scene felt like it was OBVIOUSLY, I mean tongue-in cheek winking at the audience, self-consciously a scene to base an action-figure around; they knew it, and the expected the audience to know it; a good laugh was had by all.

As for "Harrumph! Rebuild of Evangelion changes nothing about the original!"

It's actually a drastic remake (and possible sequel) to the original series: This guy explains it best
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
giascle wrote:
Faceman wrote:
All I have to say is:

WHOSE RESPONSIBLE THIS?!

Anno

He is what you call the best of the best at what he does.

He takes whoring to a level that makes pimps cry.
_V_ wrote:
as others have said,

minor spoilers...

...Eva-05 only appears in the opening fight scene of Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 ...and it's destroyed at the end of that fight scene. It on-screen life lasts under 5 minutes.

Further, the ENTIRE scene felt like it was OBVIOUSLY, I mean tongue-in cheek winking at the audience, self-consciously a scene to base an action-figure around; they knew it, and the expected the audience to know it; a good laugh was had by all.

As for "Harrumph! Rebuild of Evangelion changes nothing about the original!"

It's actually a drastic remake (and possible sequel) to the original series: This guy explains it best

Here comes the fanboy!

Well, since I did see 1.0, I can completely and unbiasedly state...it's utter bullshit. It adds nothing. It's not a drastic change in the least bit. It's simply Anno running out of ideas, attempting to clean up the mess his series enders left, and frankly, trying to whore more money out of it.

Rob is 100% right. The series was good in it's own right. Moving forward with it is just plain bastardization and sheer douchebaggery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2