• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Bubblegum Crisis Hires via Reality TV Show

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaxsonJaguar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
You know after seeing the live action Blood: The Last Vampire my faith in live action movies based on anime was restored so long as it was not handled by Americans. But I read this article and I see that little promo pic of how it may look and my faith has been dashed. Oh god why did I have any hope for this project.

Well who knows what the future will hold. Perhaps if I get my expectations low enough it may exceed. It worked for Dragonball.
gohmifune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
What's with the bias against Americans? Really? What was the last

Of all the franchises, aside from GITS, this would be the one to be handled by the American film industry. The entire original series was an homage to one of our greatest eras of film and greatest genres of literature, both combined with an 80s pop culture that we shared with the Japanese.

It seems to me that the things that made this great would be glossed over by uninvested production companies who are just property mining.
Dako Guyver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not bias against an American film company doing this film, I am just worried by the fact that Fox has a hand in it. They do not seem to know how to handle transitioning something from paper to big screen (comics, books, manga, etc).

I hope, I really really do that this comes out good. This is one of the first animes I watched when I was young, and I would love to see a movie made from it.

~Dako Guyver
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
Fox doesn't seem to have anything to do with the production other than owning the studio facilities where the filming will take place, which they frequently rent out to non-Fox productions. (Most of the Matrix was filmed at Fox Sydney, even though it was a Village Roadshow/Warner Bros. production.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, the time honored practice of hiring reality TV contestants instead of actors to do a live-action adaptation of a beloved anime.

Wait, what?

I didn't really have much confidence in this project, considering Bubblegum Crisis is essentially a time capsule from the 1980s, a retro-future, experimental anime project that has long passed its expiration date. It's one of my favorite anime of all time, but enough, already.

It's bad enough there's a live-action Space Battleship Yamato coming down the pike. How many more classics must suffer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
Kon'ya wa hurricane. Cyberpunk forever!

I want a hurricane, but not in this form. Doesn't matter what we do, it seems. Show them we like the project with our wallets, Don't show them we like the project with our wallets. They will make it regardless. There is absolutely nothing we can do but wait to see what happens.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
2040 was enough of an insult to me as a BGC fan.

I just don't know about this. I mean, a lot of Hollywood actors just simply can't act or if they don't care they don't act well (Look at DB:Evolution as the flagship example).

Maybe hiring cheap but somewhat-talented and excited actors will be better?

Oh well, I'll watch it. Just to see Priss, Nene, and Sylia.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
IMHO, the only way a live-action Bubblegum Crisis would have a chance of working as a faithful adaptation would be to do it as a retro-future, the mid 21st century as seen by the 1980's. Even then, though, success would be a long shot...

(I mean, can you imagine BGC without the music? But the music would be considered so dated by anyone who isn't already a fan.)

------RM
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
Speaking as a fan of the original series (I still have Scoop Chase in original Blue VHS clamp shell case). I am cautiously optimistic about the Live Action of BGC.

If they kept the basic premise of the original series (not the 1998 version) then I would be 100% giddy. I think with the recent trends in technology and the mixing of culture I think it is time for the "Night Sabers" to be real.

I hope they are scouting hard for the ladies who will play: Priss, Sylia, Nene, and Lina.

There are a few actress who I think can fit the bill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ah yes, the time honored practice of hiring reality TV contestants instead of actors to do a live-action adaptation of a beloved anime.

nowhere that i could see does it actually say they will be hired as actors. it's all pretty vague, but it sounds more like they might be hired to do CG work. and with HP being the sponsor of the reality show, that would seem to make sense.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
I'll buy anything related to BGC, so I can only hope they'll do honor to the original concept and characters and not spend all their energy and money on effects.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
Nice to see they're taking this seriously then. Rolling Eyes
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
To those of you worried about actors or actresses being shoved aside in favor of some "reality-show" winner(s), don't be. The HPSpace program seems to be some sort of multimedia/CG production equivalent to, say, Project Runway:

Quote:
The auditions, which go on until Sept 27, are for contestants skilled in multimedia, visual art, product design, music, fashion and publishing, among others.

<snip>

The finalists will be flown to Singapore for the filming of HP Space, where they will work with creative gurus from the world of design, film, advertising, music and art. They will have to use HP products when they compete with each other in the eight-episode series.

(sourced from ANN's article)

From what I can see, the winner will be given a chance to join the production team on the live-action Bubblegum Crisis. In what capacity? That's anyone's guess. But I'd put money on that winner being hired as a production assistant or entry-level designer. It's not like they'll be the lead project manager or anything, people, so relax. Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
To those of you worried about actors or actresses being shoved aside in favor of some "reality-show" winner(s), don't be. The HPSpace program seems to be some sort of multimedia/CG production equivalent to, say, Project Runway:

Quote:
The auditions, which go on until Sept 27, are for contestants skilled in multimedia, visual art, product design, music, fashion and publishing, among others.

<snip>

The finalists will be flown to Singapore for the filming of HP Space, where they will work with creative gurus from the world of design, film, advertising, music and art. They will have to use HP products when they compete with each other in the eight-episode series.

(sourced from ANN's article)

From what I can see, the winner will be given a chance to join the production team on the live-action Bubblegum Crisis. In what capacity? That's anyone's guess. But I'd put money on that winner being hired as a production assistant or entry-level designer. It's not like they'll be the lead project manager or anything, people, so relax. Rolling Eyes
So basically they will be given an Avid to play with in the corner whilst the "professionals" get on with it, keeping an eye on the noob to see just what he/she has doodled and if it's good enough he/she just might get 10secs of it in the production, and maybe a job offer as a runner. Hey! Youth has to start somewhere! Wink
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't think reality TV and anime should go in the same sentence. However, a $50,000 prize is quite a stash of money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2