• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why all the hate?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ownerizer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:48 am Reply with quote
I would have to disagree with the rising CD prices. I think they're getting cheaper to increase CD sales to compete with downloading MP3 and such. I've gotten some new releases at Best Buy for $10, like the new Offspring, Fear Factory, and Godsmack albums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but everything but the top 0.2% of groups IS going up. A CD from a non top-40 band averages $18.99+ these days at retail. The music industry has destroyed itself, a good primer was an episode of Frontline a few weeks back

Watch online free-

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/music/view/
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
ownerizer wrote:
I've gotten some new releases at Best Buy for $10, like the new Offspring, Fear Factory, and Godsmack albums.

That's just it though. A store like Best Buy or Target (or Walmart if you want something edited...) can afford to sell CDs well below MSRP because they buy in mass quantites and can make the money back in other areas like electronics. You get a dedicated store like Sam Goody or Tower and aside from sales, you're going to be paying full MSRP. This is because they don't have other places to make the money back, what other merchandise they might sell is too little to make an impact and is often sold ABOVE MSRP!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Like Emerje said, they always do that. Best Buy gets them in big quanities and also sells them for real cheap for the first few weeks they are out. That is one of the things that attracts customers. You go get it in the first few weeks and you get a "discount" for going to Best Buy to buy a newly released cd from them. Then after the first weeks it goes to the MSRP I remember like six years ago you could get cds for like ten bucks. Now for a new cd its like close to twenty. And i think the downloading music is damaging the sales of cds. But thats just me.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:42 pm Reply with quote
It's definately damaging sales, but part of that is the record companies' fault for putting out $20 CDs with 11 out of 12 tracks that are crap and refusing to put out singles. Why do you think Napster2 and ITunes are doing so well? People don't mind tossing a buck out, but they sure as hell mind tossing 20
gypsydolphin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
It is always risky to buy something you are not sure of, bootlegs quality are not all the same!! So it's better to spend your money on the official releases, especially if you are planning to keep the anime of your choice forever.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
UberTai wrote:
How is it that they are still able to liscense more series?

By this, I meant: How is it that companies such as Geneon are still able to afford to liscense more series when the bootlegs are stealing their money?

Just because a bully beats you up every day and steals your lunch money doesn't mean you starve to death. But that also doesn't mean that it's not a major issue.
nagash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:19 am Reply with quote
On the music industry:
Actually, there's another reason that Napster did so well when it was up & running. Has anyone else noticed that you can't just run out and buy a single anymore?
For those of us that are considered 'old', there was a time before CDs and digital media. We had Vinyl and 8-track tapes. Most of you probably remember the large vinyl albums that were called LPs. There were also smaller versions called singles. The smaller versions were size 45 (I forget what the larger versions were called). To change the size on the record player, you used a plastic piece that the record fit around. You saw that plastic piece as the symbol of one of VH1s countdown shows a while back.
Cassettes also had singles. The difference was, obvioiusly, that there wasn't a lot of tape on them. I don't know if 8-tracks had singles.
CDs, if there are singles (and I haven't seen any) must be few and far between.
What's the difference? If there's only one hit song on a CD that costs $20, why would you buy it? I'd just assume tape it off the radio (I'm not picky about the overall quality as long as it's not distorted) but many people out there want it on CD without paying the $20.
The music companies don't seem to want to put the singles out so Napster took off when it debuted as you could finally get the singles.

On the bootlegs:
Being one of those old guys, I think it's safe to say that anyone over the age of 30 has, at one point or another, bought a bootleg. Then again, we've been around long enough to where we know there was a time when anime was not known as anime if it was on television at all.
It was very hard in the early 80's to get any, and didn't really get even relatively easy until the mid 90's. There was even a time when you got a script along with the bootleg and you had to read along with the anime.
Quality on bootlegs varies. Some are good, some aren't. It's all luck of the draw, so if you're a stickler for quality, don't buy the bootlegs.
If you still want to get anime cheap, and keep it legal, then open your own store. Not that you'll be able to buy any anime for yourself at first, but eventually you, too, can take advantage of your distributors discount.
Another thing to keep in mind if you do choose to keep buying bootleg DVDS: todays DVD players aren't playing them. I was given my player as a Christmas present 2 years ago. My DVD can play an unmarked disc. If I try to put it in a newer DVD player, it will actually crash the player. The only way to open it and repair it is to bring it to the store, and the first question they're going to ask you is: how'd you get this?
Besides, digital recorders will be out within a year. At that point, you can start taping off of The Anime Network. Actually, I noticed the Adult Swim also has an On-Demand network, so you could tape them as well. I think that the digital recorder will do more to wipe out bootlegs than anything else. It's such a powerful tool, that it even has Blockbuster shaking in its boots, but that's another story.
If you buy them, you get quality. If you don't buy them, you take a chance. So long as you're not the type of person who must see every anime out there, then I'd say you're better off buying them.
Innotech

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I actually own about $1600 worth of anime DVDs, and its all legitimate licensed discs. I buy about 6 a month, so its not what Id call a hugely expensive hobby for me. Actually, we get a bargain in the US for anime compared to prices elsewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2