• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spice and Wolf

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Despite the fact that I'm creating this thread, I'm interested in hearing about others about these novels. I understand that the first one is due for release in December, but perhaps others have read the Japanese version or found other ways of reading these novels. Don't give away too many juicy details (without spoiler tags of course) as I plan on reading these novels (as long as I hear they don't totally suck, which I'm guessing they don't!).
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I was hoping for a bigger response than this-it's been several hours and only 10 views? I know ANN has a bigger traffic of users than that-can anyone provide some insight into these books Sad
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the novels yet for myself, but Andrew Cunningham wrote an interesting review a while back before the Eastern Standard moved. Hopefully that helps you out somewhat. It's a nice, positive review and convinced me to read the series (...also thanks to Yen Press!). Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Hmm...I was hoping for a bigger response than this-it's been several hours and only 10 views? I know ANN has a bigger traffic of users than that-can anyone provide some insight into these books Sad
The novel section can have days with zero replies. I have read few of the novels and can ensure that if you enjoyed the anime you will enjoy the novels too.

Currently books 1, 3 and 4 have been fan translated.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
What happened to 2? Shocked
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
I caution against reading fan translations of novels, as the quality is nearly always SHIT.
More so with prose than manga, anyway; it's very easy to come away with the impression that the author can't write, when it's really just the idiot 'translating' it.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah I know, I don't plan on reading anything other than the official Yen Press release, but it just seems odd that someone would translate 1, 3, and 4 but not 2.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
No self-bumping the thread, kirkdawg, especially after only 11 hours. (But this topic does interest me, too.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
it just seems odd that someone would translate 1, 3, and 4 but not 2.

If I remember corrrectly, after finishing volume 1, the fan translation team decided to tackle the novels depicting events that occurred after the end of the anime's first season and therefore skipped volume 2 which had been animated.
Rensho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first 4 (found volume 2 translated somewhere, but I don't recall where :/). Its a fantastic series imo. Waiting on a translation for 5 is killing me, but thats how these things work. If you have any interest in the series, you should definately read them.

The anime is pretty true the novels (though be warned, season two is skipping over the 4th book and going straight from the 3rd to the 5th).

First "official" translation (by Yen Press) comes out in December and they plan to release another every 6 months, but I couldn't wait that long.
Matt122004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for the light novels to be released by Yen Press. I'm going to probably buy them on day 1 of their release and then begin reading them that very day. Anime smile

Oh, and by the way, apparently, the author of Spice and Wolf has now launched a new project, a manga: http://ranobecafe.wordpress.com/2009/09/10/author-of-spice-and-wolf-launches-new-manga/
Koji98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, Yen Press has revealed the cover art for the first Spice and Wolf novel.

I don't care for it, but I understand the reasoning for it. Luckily, for people who want the original cover, like me, there will be a book sleeve of it in the december issue of Yen Plus.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
This is only slightly acceptable if that abomination is also a removal cover, and can therefore be removed and burnt.

And putting out this disgusting thing, than charging 20.99 USD total for a paperback light novel? Cool pricing scheme, bro. It's like you're paying them extra to rape your soul.

In Summation: Jesus Christ, man. Jesus Christ.
Koji98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
And putting out this disgusting thing, than charging 20.99 USD total for a paperback light novel?

It's $7.41 on amazon with a list price of $10.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Wolf-Vol-Isuna-Hasekura/dp/0759531048/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253849891&sr=8-2

Not sure where you got $20.99 from.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Koji98 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
And putting out this disgusting thing, than charging 20.99 USD total for a paperback light novel?

It's $7.41 on amazon with a list price of $10.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Wolf-Vol-Isuna-Hasekura/dp/0759531048/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253849891&sr=8-2

Not sure where you got $20.99 from.

Including the cost of the December Yen Plus issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3