• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Twelve Kingdoms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I understand why they do it... it just annoys me. I'm glad 12 Kingdoms at least gets treated like a real book with a hardback release.

Don't hold your breath. Mine just got delivered to my door a couple of hours ago. Yeah, it's hard cover, but the paper inside feels like newsprint! And whereas the first book had some foil embossing on the cover, this one doesn't have any traces of that. The included pictures aren't very sharp either. I think the slip-cover uses a different type of paper too.

I understand a sagging economy, but this book is half the size of the first, uses crappy paper, and yet is sold at the same price! What gives? I bought the hardcover version for a reason (that being that it should be the collector's version).

I'm not happy, but I'm hoping the story contained within the flimsy pages makes up for the presentation.

After calming down for a few minutes, I guess I'm just glad that this series didn't get cut during the TokyoPop restructuring.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

After calming down for a few minutes, I guess I'm just glad that this series didn't get cut during the TokyoPop restructuring.

Exactly. I'm thrilled that they're continuing the Twelve Kingdoms series, even if it is at the snail's pace of one book a year. I may be 12 years older by the time I'm current with the series at it is now in Japan, but at least I'll have read it.

That said, they could print Kino no Tabi on toilet paper and sell it for a normal book price and I would still buy it.

Seriously.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
That's where sites like Baka Tsuki come in handy.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Don't hold your breath. Mine just got delivered to my door a couple of hours ago. Yeah, it's hard cover, but the paper inside feels like newsprint! And whereas the first book had some foil embossing on the cover, this one doesn't have any traces of that. The included pictures aren't very sharp either. I think the slip-cover uses a different type of paper too.

Looking at the copy we got in my bookstore, I agree, but I've always had a problem with Tokyopop's printing quality on their books. It just annoys me. When they were starting to go into the hole, I was hoping they'd sort out some sort of deal so that their distributor, Harper Collins, would get the licenses or something and start treating them like actual books. No such luck, and now the quality is getting worse when for the same price any other YA hardback out there has no such quality issues.

It's especially aggravating when you look at Viz's hardback novel releases (Simon & Shuster distributes them, not that it matters. Not sure if it has anything to do with the printers they use). They released Noriko Ogiwara's (good witch of the west - tokyopop) Dragon Sword and Wind Child, and it was just GORGEOUS. Really high quality binding, great paper, nice ink, really nice dust cover, and it could easily stand on it's own on a shelf next to any other hardback you put with it. I'm hoping Viz will release more of the series, because I'll happily buy them.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly, all of the light novels I've ever purchased except for one have been from Tokyopop. The exception is Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, and Scholastic gave it the royal treatment. It's frustrating, because this is exactly the kind of thing I hoped the consolidation would SOLVE. Now, instead of trading tons of low-quality releases for a few high-quality releases, they've simply got less releases of the same or worse quality.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Is there a reason why Tokyopop has resorted to a particularly limited run? I've already bought and read my copy, and understand that the current circumstances advise companies to put out smaller print runs, but still.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
nursemcquade wrote:
For those of you who have seen or purchased either of the Premium Boxed sets, is it worth it? The premium version is anywhere from $30-50 more than the regular version. Various websites say that the premium version comes with an encyclopedia and guide book, what kind of stuff do they contain and does it contain any other goodies? I have read all three novels and am excited to see the Anime but want to know which version to spend my hard earned money on. Thanks for the help!

Wrong forum. This is for discussing the books.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I finally finished the first novel and I very much enjoyed it. I also bought the second book right after it came out, so I'm starting it now. Since it's pretty short, I was thinking I'd get online and see where things are at with the third book, and maybe place an order for it.

What happened!?

It came out just a few months ago, and already it's nowhere to be found. You can get it through Amazon for $120, but I didn't enjoy the first book that much. I see a paperback version is slated to come out this fall, but I really wanted the hardcover version to match the other two I have.

Was it just a super small print run coupled with financial difficulties at Tokyopop? I don't really follow the industry happenings on the novel and manga side at all, so I'm sure there's a story here.

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open now whenever I'm in a bookstore and hope to get lucky. This is really disappointing, though.
Confused
xixer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
yah, i thought it was just a temporary out of stock thing. i've been keeping tabs on amazon for the past 3 months, and its still not back in stock.

luckily for me, my local book store had 1 copy of vol. 3 left Smile

amazon now lists the paperback coming out this september, so i think people looking for the hardcover may be SOL.

and btw, im also pissed about the hardcover quality of vol. 3... there's been a steady decline from vol. 1... Mad
Matt122004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
Apparently, even with the weird issues volumes 3 of the Twelve Kingdom's novels has been having, it's selling really well. lol

A best sellers list for Light Novels in America has been created, using Barnes and Noble sales information: http://ranobecafe.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/english-light-novel-monthly-ranking-sept-2009/

And the newly released Haruhi Suzumiya novel is trailing right behind it.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
That's strange. I wonder if they ran another print run. When I checked around for this a book a few months ago it was almost non-existent, at least for a reasonable price. But I see that it's available through the B&N website, and I just ordered a copy from an Amazon marketplace seller. Assuming this seller actually delivers, I'll be happy to get my copy although I'm not thrilled to read about the quality issues.

I also see that according to Amazon the release date for the paperback has been pushed back to November.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I had volume 3 (hardcover) in my Amazon cart since release but was waiting for some more stuff to get all at once (plus have been reading other stuff so wouldn't have gotten to it anyway) and now that I finally ordered it a couple weeks ago (it arrived in 3 days)... wow I'm really disapointed in the paper quality, it's worse than I expected after hearing about it. I mean, you can practically see the ink on the back-side of the next page in good light. Tis a shame... But, as noted, at least TP is still working on these!
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Woo hoo! My copy of the third novel arrived today. It's not nearly as bad in terms of quality as I was expecting after reading some of the comments here. It's definitely a step down from the first two, but I've seen worse. I got it from a store that liquidates overstock and closed out books, so it has a black ink marker line on the bottom but other than that my copy arrived in good shape.

Until I can find time to read it, it's sitting in its place on my bookshelf right next to the other two. I would have bought the paperback version when it comes out, but I'm really glad to have been able to pick this up in hardcover so it matches my copies of the first two books.
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have any idea if and/or when volume four may be coming out? What month have the others come out in? They are suposed to come out with one per year, shouldn't it be almost time for the next one? I have read all three and watched the entire anime. By far the books are much better. They changed things too much in the anime, adding characters and changing the roles of some. I can't wait for the next installment. I hope they continue releasing them because there are many more to come. They should really stick to the original release schedule of one every six months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
The hardbacked versions of the first three books have all come out in March.

And while the anime series took some different approaches to the stories, I disagree that they were worse ones. The first three books were all entirely stand-alone stories, so the anime version had to modify their presentation a bit to make them all part of a continuing narrative.

I thought the anime came out just fine and liked that they kept the original Japanese names rather than translating them (as they do in the novels).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9