• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Johnston Waxes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for answering my Crunchyroll question, guys. Sounds like the prospect for DVD licenses of those shows is pretty bleak, eh? We'll probably miss out on some good stuff, but I guess it's not worth the financial losses to our already-suffering R1 companies...

Most of it seems to be crap, though. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Justin: You can have pizza in L.A. It's just that Tomato Pie now charges by the whole instead of the slice. [But if you do buy it there, try the "Mr. White" pie.] Or you could cheap it out by goin' to Little Caesar's. As for the hookers, I think Zac's just not impressed, 'cus he doesn't get that, unlike L.A., there's a greater chance the NYC call-girls will be natural women. Rolling Eyes Still surprised that Justin can distinguish the types, though. As for One Missed Call, I didn't know they financed it. I thought they just sold the rights. Anyway, the original Miike movie's not much better.

BTW, the theater is Laemmle Sunset 5. I'm just surprised 1.0 underwhelmed this badly, given that it has a more MPAA-friendly rating, and given that the current generation of anime fans should be more likely to see it than Ponyo. OTOH, if what you're saying is true about Gainax wanting it to go theatrical, maybe it should've been done simultaneously before people started bootlegging it.

As for CR, I could swear it was the Japanese companies which wanted their stuff on there to gauge demand and avoid bootlegging. I don't get how Discotek handling FOTNS on dvd works, though. Does it split profits w/ FUNi?

Zac: More importantly, how does Saiunkoku compare to Haruka? Wink And yeah, I think an LA Eva would work, FX-wise, but marketing-wise, I imagine a live-action Bokurano might have more appeal.

CJ: I don't necessarily think ADV was lying. They just lost control of many titles and assets, but I do believe they full intended to releae that shit uncut. I didn't think UV was lying about having Berserk before MB swiped it from them. And to be fair about ADV, your employers at EGM weren't honest about why they fired that Kane & Lynch reviewer, either....

Worst anime-based game for me is the NES Fist.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I wish Rebuild of Evangelion would play in my town. Or, you know, anywhere near it. Eh, I'll end up getting it on DVD, anyway.

I read a little Newtype. To me, it seemed little more than a mouthpiece for ADV. But I always get in trouble for saying that. Maybe I didn't read enough.

Gamers are part of a much sadder culture than anime otaku, in my opinion.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I love DVDs. I love them. I love collecting them. I love putting them into DVD players. I like having them play on my big screen TV, turning the lights down as I watch with a snack. (This is turning into that Hellsing speech- "Gentleman, I like DVDs. Gentlemen, I LOVE DVDs.")

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And to be fair about ADV, your employers at EGM weren't honest about why they fired that Kane & Lynch reviewer, either....

That wasn't Ziff, that was CNet.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I don't want to start a war of the nerds here, but...

You can't be serious.

... But if so, what makes you think that way?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I don't want to start a war of the nerds here, but...

You can't be serious.

... But if so, what makes you think that way?

Video gamers, the hardcore ones at least, are smug and self-aggrandizing, as if playing a video game is like a sport or some great skill useful to society. If you play against a seasoned gamer, you had better be at least as good as they are, or they'll treat you like garbage.

The gamer rooms at anime conventions are full of hardcore gamers who never shower because they want to save their place in front of their game. Gamer rooms smell like gerbil cages. They try to get you thrown out of the room, or they laugh when you want to play a game and you aren't some super gamer. Video gamers are the plague of anime cons.

I've been laughed out of arcades for not being great at Marvel vs Capcom. The arcade owner actually threw me out for not being good enough.

Most of the gamers I've known are scum. They think they're actually doing something beneficial for society. They're not. They're playing video games. They're delusional.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
Oh man, the answer to the Crunchyroll question was disappointing. So I take it I'll never see Natsume Yuujinchou & sequel on DVD? I was sort of holding out hope that eventually it'd end up as a bare-bones, sub-only release at the very least. This revelation makes me very, very sad.

Other than crushing my spirit a bit, it was a very interesting podcast as usual.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
Well, another good episode of ANNCast. I have to say that I have been really enjoying this podcast. I've tried to listen to others in the past, and while some were good, most of the time they talked about topics that I had no interest for (like an entire show about Naruto or some random manga volume that I hadn't heard of before, etc). But you guys tend to keep it diverse, which ensures that theres a little bit of something for everyone. So keep up the good work.

And Zac, I heard your contribution to the Anime 3000 Panel podcast, the Directors Not Named Miyazaki. I really liked that episode a lot, and was wondering if in the future you may do your own "themed" episode, talking about one topic with a few guests? (ps... I had totally forgotten how great the Paprika opening is. Thanks for reminding me.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Video gamers, the hardcore ones at least, are smug and self-aggrandizing, as if playing a video game is like a sport or some great skill useful to society. If you play against a seasoned gamer, you had better be at least as good as they are, or they'll treat you like garbage.

The gamer rooms at anime conventions are full of hardcore gamers who never shower because they want to save their place in front of their game. Gamer rooms smell like gerbil cages. They try to get you thrown out of the room, or they laugh when you want to play a game and you aren't some super gamer. Video gamers are the plague of anime cons.

I've been laughed out of arcades for not being great at Marvel vs Capcom. The arcade owner actually threw me out for not being good enough.

Most of the gamers I've known are scum. They think they're actually doing something beneficial for society. They're not. They're playing video games. They're delusional.

Haven't you ever heard the saying there is no hierarchy amongst nerds? You can find hardcore anime fans with those same attributes. But lets all agree that fans of Magic the Gathering are the weirdest.

On to topic, another great podcast many laughs in it. And while I agree that the amount of otaku anime is ridiculously high I think there are still many shows that offer people something much more than the big eyed loli girls anime. So far this year has been good to me. Shows like Tokyo Magnitude8.0, Rideback, Canaan and Spice & Wolf 2 all offered something diffident, and were all great titles in my mind. But the fall season is looking kind of bleak, unless I'm surprised.

And it was great to hear a voice from New-type. That was my favorite magazines, it had everything from anime to music and games. And I still have every issue from June 2002 on. The free DVD they provided lead me to discovering and buying many titles I would have passed on. I know I would have passed on Kino's Journey, Moonphase, Elfen Lied and Gilgamesh had I not seen a preview first. And now those are all shows I love.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
But lets all agree that fans of Magic the Gathering are the weirdest.
Afraid not. We used to play Ani-Mayhem in the 90's. Not only was it obscure but if you weren't a otaku (at the time), you wouldn't know what was going on.

Funny crack at our localization.

Zac:
Thanks for making the show available through direct download. I I listen on the go. The police siren in the background was haunting. Very Happy

It's funny but I agree that in my own experiences in which anime gets a movie preview, the audience will either groan or make some sort of comment. Bastards.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The Count wrote:
But lets all agree that fans of Magic the Gathering are the weirdest.
Afraid not. We used to play Ani-Mayhem in the 90's. Not only was it obscure but if you weren't a otaku (at the time), you wouldn't know what was going on.

funny crack at our localization.
Never even heard of this. But I have personally heard a guy who looked to be in his 40's go on a 5min giggle fest about how there was a rare Magic the Gathering card released with a nude female on it. So unless Ani-Mayhem bring out the same kind of pure nerdage, I stick by my first choice.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The police siren in the background was haunting. Very Happy

Life in the city I guess. I live right by 3 major hospitals, but honestly living in NYC will make you completely tune out sirens in the background.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
But I have personally heard a guy who looked to be in his 40's go on a 5min giggle fest about how there was a rare Magic the Gathering card released with a nude female on it. So unless Ani-Mayhem bring out the same kind of pure nerdage, I stick by my first choice.

At least it's not a body pillow with a picture of a naked 12 year old on it. I don't especially see the point in looking at the absolute worst of the worst. They don't represent the majority. If that's what you want to do though I don't see how you can deny that Japanese otaku are the worst.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
I guess this question is sort of a follow-up on the Crunchyroll one that's been asked. So anime that gets streamed or simulcasted in Crunchyroll have really little to no chance of getting a DVD release from the usual R1 companies?
Scamp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Druaga was an anime shown on Crunchyroll and was later liscenced by Funimation but that's the only example I can think of. Plus it was one of the very first legal streams on CR so I guess that one doesn't adhere to the normal rules of liscensing.

As for the 'next big thing', I think Eden of the East has the capability to be really big if Funi play their cards right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4