• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Uncensored Strike Witches Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wetall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
This has the same potential as smoking in the powder mag. Wink

I'm guessing from those who never witnessed Elfen Lied?

That powder keg, as far as I know, never went off, even when the age of the girl was known.
Rolling Eyes
Elfen Lied was rated 15 here in the UK.

Like there'd be any reason for Funi to care about what's regarded as acceptable or not by people in the UK--They're only allowed to distribute titles in the United States, and as far as we all know, there aren't any companies that are attempting to get the license to release this over there. Rolling Eyes
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
And Elfen Lied also has more nudity than Strike Witches...

I recall a web thread regarding SW that I thought silly at the time. The argument was over the fact that nearly all these 14 year old girls are in their underwear throughout the show (and highlighted by numerous close-up flying crotch shots). All kinds of serious "technical" reasons were given to justify the girls having to walk around in their panties, which of course was ridiculous.

I just find it fascinating that bath nudity can even be an issue in the context of this show Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
Like there'd be any reason for Funi to care about what's regarded as acceptable or not by people in the UK--They're only allowed to distribute titles in the United States, and as far as we all know, there aren't any companies that are attempting to get the license to release this over there. Rolling Eyes

Exported Region 1 dvd, multiregional dvd player and you're ready to go.
By the way, a decent multiregional dvd player costs about 30£(45$) and the shipping fee from U.S. exports are cheap.
In the end, we pay the same as we would if they had licensed it over here, or even less.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I recall a web thread regarding SW that I thought silly at the time. The argument was over the fact that nearly all these 14 year old girls are in their underwear throughout the show (and highlighted by numerous close-up flying crotch shots).

The other argument is that only one of them is 14, and only two are younger than that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DPX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied, Popotan, Shuffle!

But SW is going to cause a problem... -_-

Seriously people?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
Erm, oddly FUNi has a UK distributor who is allegedly attempting to get them to allow UK admission to their streaming, They already sell some of their DVD's here.
mozychan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't regret having bought the DRM-free censored videos on Crunchyroll, but they are being sold for less on FUNi's website. Judging from the streams, the video quality is about the same.

So after one is done streaming them for free and finds themselves wanting to own them, but doesn't want to wait for the release of the physical DVD's, then one can purchase them for $1.99 each at Funimation's website. Or do what I did a long time ago and donate $3 or $5 to get them censored and DRM-free at Crunchyroll. I'll be grabbing ep. 8 at FUNi when it's available because CR doesn't have that one due to some licensing issues.

-moose

Last edited by mozychan on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
...and the shipping fee from U.S. exports are cheap.

In the end, we pay the same as we would if they had licensed it over here, or even less.

That's a gross oversimplification of the state of affairs over here, considering the usual woes from Customs and their like. Not that it isn't possible to find affordable importation options though. One just needs to be aware of who offers what.
___

Hopefully, no ill-consequence should arise from Funi's venture here. The age-verification system should prevent unsuspecting viewers from chancing upon material which may offend them, those still willing to watch these uncensored streams presumably being both aware and tolerant of the content shown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, I like simplified things. If they're having trouble licensing things here then I'll simply buy from overseas.
But yeah, I don't like doing this either, but it's not like I'm gonna be waiting forever.
But well, I'm so tired right now I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
LOL at the people expecting this series to kick up a fuss.
Now if we had something like Kanokon or KNJ, then yes, we could start debating what sort of reaction they would get, but this is SW, a show with a couple of non-erotic nude scenes.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow

never before did I care any lesser
mozychan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I just watched ep.3 and 4 on Funi's site and it appears that they are censored now. They must have changed it once they realized that they had uploaded the uncensored ones.

-moose

Last edited by mozychan on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
egoist wrote:
...and the shipping fee from U.S. exports are cheap.

That's a gross oversimplification of the state of affairs over here, considering the usual woes from Customs and their like.

I'm currently disliking Fedex immensely. After trying to bill me VAT, duty and £8 "admin" on two packages containing only magazines I sent a very angry email (as they aren't open on Saturdays) which took 25 days to get a response. Magically, the two shipments of books/magazines I've had from Amazon since have come through completely unscathed. Coincidence or are they really trying it on here - there must be other people who just pay the bill without realising that printed material is zero VAT so they keep on charging them
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
mozychan wrote:
I just watched ep.3 and 4 on Funi's site and it appears that they are censored now. They must have changed it once they realized that they had uploaded the uncensored ones.

-moose

A sign that they will wuss out on releasing uncensored episodes on DVD? Wink
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Honestly I find violence more of an issue than nudity. I've never watched this series, but all this arguement over nudity (SW or Elfen Lied or whatever) isn't that big a deal. It's a cartoon. I've watched Elfen Lied and wasn't bothered in the slightest. Violence is practically glorified in todays society and sex/nudity is treated like it's an evil sin when it's a natural part of life that's unavoidable.

But I don't want to debate to start on that. FUNI wouldn't buy a property that they'd think is nationally risky.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4