• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Uncensored Strike Witches Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Official FUNi Rep wrote:
As our fans know we have always released the series we license in their original, uncut form, as their creators intended.

However, due to the mature content contained within the series Strike Witches and the feedback we received from some of our fans following its streaming launch on www.funimation.com, we have replaced the originally posted unedited episodes with their edited versions.

Fans of the series will be able to purchase the uncut episodes when the series is released on DVD as well as any subsequent subscription or download-to-own digital platforms.

Thanks for watching! Anime hyper
I recommend lots of ice water for those burnt fingers. Wink
mozychan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
mozychan wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
I think the real news here is that Funi's translations are (imho) an improvement over BOST's.

lol. Sorry to call you out on this, but no they're the same translations that were done by Bost. Funi didn't touch them. I know this because while I was watching ep. 3 and 4 today I ran both Funi's and Crunchyroll's (who's translation was provided by BOST TV) videos side by side to see what, if anything, had been edited. They were identical. Including video quality.

Mayhaps they had the uncensored Funimation translation before, and now the censored version is the BOST version. Because I watched ep's 1 and 2 last week and there were definitely differences. I was making side by side comparisons. For example:

spoiler[Funimation, ep 2:

All hands, prepare to abandon ship!
What's going on? What's happening?!
Captain! The central elevator is in operation! Someone's on it!
What?!
To do what I can...To keep my promise...To protect everyone!
Wh-Who's that?!
How is she able to wear a Striker?!
It's the girl Major Sakamoto brought with her. Her name is...
Miyafuji Yoshika!
Miyafuji?! You mean as in Dr. Miyafuji's...?!
Is she seriously going to...?!
Miyafuji?
Here I go!
Pull up! There's no turning back now!
Fly!
Fly, Miyafuji!
I-I'm flying...I'm flying!
Amazing! This is her very first time wearing a Striker, too...!

BOST, ep 2:

All hands, prepare to abandon ship!
What? What's happening?
Captain, the central elevator is in use. Someone is inside.
What?!
I have to do what I can...To keep my promise...To protect everyone!
W-Who is that?!
How is she able to a equip a Striker?
That is the girl Major Sakamoto brought. Her name is...
Yoshika Miyafuji!
Miyafuji?! As in Dr. Miyafuji?!
It can't be!
Miyafuji?
Here I go!
Pick yourself up, it's now or never!
Fly!!
Fly, Miyafuji!
I-I'm flying...I'm flying!
I don't believe it. It's the first time she's worn a Striker...]

As I said before, I didn't notice any differences while watching ep. 3 and 4. Just now however I began watching ep. 2 and I've noticed a difference in video quality:

Crunchyroll Strike WitchesFunimation Strike witches

But I still have not noticed a difference with the subs.
Edit: I just saw the scene were you compared the subs and they were both the same; both being the BOST translation. So I don't know where you got the Funi translations... maybe that was only before they took down the uncensored videos. I don't know what they're doing...

-moose
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

(wonder if this'll get the BD treatment...I can hope, right?).

It never got the BD treatment in Japan, so it's unlikely that it will here. Or if it does, it'll just be an upscale.

Many shows have been animated in HD but only (yet) have a DVD release. Since I watched it on BOST I can't comment on the Japanese broadcast quality, but Gonzo's more recent series Shangri-La was broadcast in HD and disappointingly is being released on DVD.

That's true, but IIRC, Strike Witches wasn't 720p on TV. I think that it was shown in something higher than 480p, but I'm pretty sure that there was no 720p release. I would have thought that that would indicate that the show wasn't actually done in HD, but I could be wrong. And the fact that there has been no BD release for it in Japan on top of that - particularly when Strike Witches is so popular - would tend to indicate that they didn't do it in HD. Still, we can hope.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
DPX wrote:
Wow, I'm amazed there hasn't been an influx of SW hate so far! Shocked

No kidding. It had a lot of that in the nanoha 1st season review that it was locked. I'll definately will be getting the DVD if it's uncensored,also after this news,i'm more than certain that they'll license Queens Blade and probably Kodomo no Jikan.That news would seriously turn some heads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
DPX wrote:
Wow, I'm amazed there hasn't been an influx of SW hate so far! Shocked

No kidding. It had a lot of that in the nanoha 1st season review that it was locked. I'll definately will be getting the DVD if it's uncensored,also after this news,i'm more than certain that they'll license Queens Blade and probably Kodomo no Jikan.That news would seriously turn some heads.

I expect that Queen's Blade has a good chance of being licensed since Ikkitousen has done well enough to have have multiple seasons licensed, but there's no guarantee. But it's problem is simply high levels of nudity. There are plenty of outright hentai shows that are licensed, so I don't think that that really poses a problem. It's really just a question of whether there's an R1 company who thinks that they can make a decent profit off it given however much it would cost them to get the license and release the show (and of course dub it if they were considering that).

Kodomo no Jikan... I'd be shocked if that were licensed. Only the future will tell, but I have a hard time believing that it stands any chance of it. It's just too extreme. I mean, that's not just young girls, it's young girls. At least the gals in Strike Witches have hit puberty. The manga was licensed but dropped, and I understood that it was dropped because it was deemed too risky to release in the US. I'd expect the same of the anime. But again, only the future will tell.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
IIRC, Strike Witches wasn't 720p on TV. I think that it was shown in something higher than 480p, but I'm pretty sure that there was no 720p release. I would have thought that that would indicate that the show wasn't actually done in HD, but I could be wrong. And the fact that there has been no BD release for it in Japan on top of that - particularly when Strike Witches is so popular - would tend to indicate that they didn't do it in HD. Still, we can hope.

As I said, I watched it on BOST so don't know what the TC broadcast was like, but I've look for old raw torrents and there are some in 720P, although this could be upscales. A lot of shows still do only get a DVD release for whatever reason, again Gonzo's more recent Shangri-la is among them and that definitely was HD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Official FUNi Rep wrote:
...the feedback we received from some of our fans following its streaming launch on www.funimation.com, we have replaced...

No offense, Mr(s). Official FUNi Rep, but something about this just doesn't seem right.

*bites tongue to stay focused...

Here's a tip: offer both, so the whiners aren't all pissed off over the cartoon boobs which seem to get immature little boys all giddy, despite the fact finding pr0n on the internet is easy as www.whit...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I recommend lots of ice water for those burnt fingers. Wink

It looks like I stand corrected- I assume the majority of fans must have been averse to Funi's original decision. The 'questionable' content is now a DVD-only perk, so it would seem, and those who cannot wait for their tantalising fix will probably now try the other available option until the series hits the shelves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4