• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks, Section23 Add To Love-Ru Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
woooohooooo now Yen needs to get the manga!
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Is To Love-Ru dubed? It does not say. This is one I have to have even without a dub.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Is To Love-Ru dubed?

The press release contains the answer to your question, which is "no."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
No soapboxing ~Zalis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
psychopuppet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like something up my alley so shall be buying this come DEC along with the rest of Clannad AS and Ghost Hound. Glad they have started to announce stuff before it just shows up on Rightstuf or Amazon. Getting more anime can't really ask for much more. Very Happy
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn Damn Damn! They strike again! Nice job at always ruining everything.... Another waste of a good show. My Golden Darkness I am sorry but I can never own you I hope you understand.

Didn't Zac warned you about soapboxing?

Anyway I heard good things about To Love Ru so I'll give it a shot. Sentai has been teetering up and down with their newer licenses in my view, but I think this one might be a winner.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting Sentai to announce another title for December, but I guess that one will have to wait for next year. But I'm okay with To Love Ru. I will definitely be picking this up.

I know the lack of a dub really irks some, but I've seen first hand how bad anime sales have gotten, so I'm okay with sub only sets. I would much rather have a show sub only, than not at all. And I've really started to looking forward to Sentai's monthly solicits and press releases.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I was expecting Sentai to announce another title for December, but I guess that one will have to wait for next year. But I'm okay with To Love Ru. I will definitely be picking this up.

I know the lack of a dub really irks some, but I've seen first hand how bad anime sales have gotten, so I'm okay with sub only sets. I would much rather have a show sub only, than not at all. And I've really started to looking forward to Sentai's monthly solicits and press releases.

Where have you seen Anime sales??? I wanna see. I always wonder why they never release sales numbers for America but the release the for Japan when Japanese sales matters nothing around here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
u_nick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Not I show I can recommend to others really, but one I still like enough to buy. SO getting this one.

A sub-only fan like myself is in heaven these days! I'm getting my releases fast an cheap! Very Happy
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Where have you seen Anime sales??? I wanna see. I always wonder why they never release sales numbers for America but the release the for Japan when Japanese sales matters nothing around here.
Because Oricon makes the order and the sales numbers for the top 10 public but Nielsen video scan does not release any of the numbers without paying.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Certainly a decent entry from the moe/harem/romcom category. Put it right in there with Rosario+Vampire, Kanokon, etc, from last year, though with the ecchi toned down.

Looks like we are getting a clear picture of where Sentai, and probably all the "companies formerly known as ADV" are headed for the foreseeable future. That being:

1.) Whatever Funi (maybe Bandai/Viz as well) didn't want, so the license is probably cheap.
2.) Whatever Nozomi didn't want because the show itself doesn't meet standards of quality or wouldn't sell enough to justify their higher costs of producing first-rate technical/content releases and packaging.
3.) Couldn't be profitably dubbed (which is sort of redundant to #1).

I actually don't mind this at all (so long as the DVD video quality gets back up from the He Is My Master level--hopefully someone there has learned how to do encoding by now, or else realized that a 13 episode series does require 3 discs, not 2). I get to contribute back to the creators for shows I watched on fansub. And get to have shows on DVD that had no chance in hell of being licensed for dubbing due to being such niche titles. Sub-only is all that could reasonably be expected for this show in today's market.

Mario1234567 wrote:
Where have you seen Anime sales???

There are also overall DVD sales for U.S. and Japan, which at least estimate sales of anime specifically. The entire DVD market has been downtrending the last couple of years at least, somewhat drastically for anime in Japan.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess Sentai is going to be a strictly sub-only company when it comes to new licenses. I'm kind of bummed about no dubs in anything (really would have liked them in Ghost Hound), but the fact that they keep announcing new licenses must mean they are doing alright. I guess I shouldn't complain, more anime is ALWAYS good (and Sentai's prices don't hurt either Very Happy ).
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Damn I wanted this one to go to Funimation as they could use the Black Cat cast for the dub!

oh well, I'm buying the DVDs at least something To-LOVE-Ru related is being released in English
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
pparker: I'm actually surprised that RV didn't get picked up first, to be honest, since there's a manga of it out right now. Does this mean TLR the manga's gonna be published soon? Anyway, I doubt it's an issue of cheap licenses as much as FUNimation's more interested in the next DBZ, while ADSentai wants to sell stuff fans would actually want to watch. I think Nozomi's more of a boutique company, and it generally only goes for shows with some class.
Tratious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
awesome I will be getting this first chance I get!
and Ghost Hound too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7