• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, September 28-October 4

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
That many Blu-Rays for Bakemonogatorii indicates that the industry is getting better little by little. Sales here for BD and regular anime DVDs would be nice if they had those types of figures.
Clodus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
K-On had a total sales roughly 41,000 including both dvd and blu-ray. Bakemonogatari had a total sales roughly 44,500 including both dvd and blu-ray. Doesn't that mean that Bakemonogatari has the best first week sales out of any anime TV series out there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Not sure, Clodus, but sales for shows like these could mean Bakemonogatorii is. I would hope that the dub of FMA: Brotherhood sells several thousand copies on DVD when it comes out in the spring.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
K-On had a total sales roughly 41,000 including both dvd and blu-ray. Bakemonogatari had a total sales roughly 44,500 including both dvd and blu-ray. Doesn't that mean that Bakemonogatari has the best first week sales out of any anime TV series out there?

Yes. Although the article bases it soley on actual Blu-ray sales, not combined sales for both formats.
Either way, nice to see an actual quality show do well, unlike K-ON, which no offense, sums up what's bad about the anime industry right now.
On a side note, I thought Eden of the East would do better sales-wise. It was a real smash hit on TV but hasn't transfered that over to DVD/Blu-ray sales.
Essedus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Yes. Although the article bases it soley on actual Blu-ray sales, not combined sales for both formats.
Either way, nice to see an actual quality show do well, unlike K-ON, which no offense, sums up what's bad about the anime industry right now.
On a side note, I thought Eden of the East would do better sales-wise. It was a real smash hit on TV but hasn't transfered that over to DVD/Blu-ray sales.

I enjoy both K-ON and Bakemonogatari, and I don't see anything wrong with either of them. One's a no-brainer, while the other needs lots of brain. They are polar opposites, even though they both have very high amounts of moe.

Elso, Eden's not doing so well, maybe because many feel cheated that the end of the show is in the movies.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:

Now you've peaked my interest, how is K-ON a sign of all that's bad? If anything, its success proves that it sums up all that's good and well about the anime industry right now...Are you just giving your own inane opinion on this matter or is there some sort of educated rhetoric behind this?
Scamp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Clodus wrote:

Eden is still doing better than most other series out there. Each new disc always ranks high enough in the sales charts. It's a bit annoying that K-ON constantly outsells it though.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Essedus wrote:
I enjoy both K-ON and Bakemonogatari

That's not possible. No person is capable of liking those shows at the same time. Human brains do not have that capacity.

I learned this from the Psychiatric Association of Anime Forums.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
What part of Bakemonogatarai is "moe"? The part where Hitagi staples his face? Oh yes, very much the ideal girl-I'd say Bakemono is a harem whereas K-On! is straight up moe. And contrary to mr. scientific theory here who claims this "association" citation here, I too enjoy K-On! and Bakemonogatari. It's worth noting I enjoy Bakemono about 3 times as much though.

Oh and YES! Bakemono reapin' in the dough as number one, very promising sales.
Essedus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
What part of Bakemonogatarai is "moe"? The part where Hitagi staples his face? Oh yes, very much the ideal girl-I'd say Bakemono is a harem whereas K-On! is straight up moe. And contrary to mr. scientific theory here who claims this "association" citation here, I too enjoy K-On! and Bakemonogatari. It's worth noting I enjoy Bakemono about 3 times as much though.

Oh and YES! Bakemono reapin' in the dough as number one, very promising sales.

Are you for real? Are you ACTUALLY saying that Bakemonogatari is not moe? Seriously? Did you skip Mayoi Snail? Nadeko Snake ring a bell? You only watched the action parts? Come on, help me understand, this is SHAFT for crying out loud.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy at this news I could cry. I won't cry, but I could if I wanted to.

DarkHunter6523 wrote:
Now you've peaked my interest, how is K-ON a sign of all that's bad? If anything, its success proves that it sums up all that's good and well about the anime industry right now...Are you just giving your own inane opinion on this matter or is there some sort of educated rhetoric behind this?

I too think K-ON is little above refuse, and that the high sales that it garners are a slap in the face to all the much, much better shows out there. I mean, it is fluff, pure and simple, and yet because of the poor state of Anime fandom in Japan it is so popular. It disgusts me that shows which actually try and be outstanding and intelligent get relegated to having low sales, which means ninety percent of the new shows are dreck. Oh sure, Sturgeon's Law, but just because it is a general rule in no way means I have to happy with it. I want a fair world where works are rewarded or punished (in ratings and sales) in accordance with how good or bad they are, not because they have or don't have Moe girls designed to draw in the loser crowd.

Anyway, Bakemonogatari beating K-ON is like Christmas has come early. I guess dreams really do come true. May its sales continue to be strong. And may Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 be duly rewarded for being the best show this year (thus far at least).

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
That's not possible. No person is capable of liking those shows at the same time. Human brains do not have that capacity.

Study more? People can enjoy anything at any time and I, as well as Kirkdawg, enjoyed both K-ON! and Bakemonogatari.

DarkHunter6523 wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:

K-ON! is an unoriginal no-brainer slice of life moeblob about cute girls doing cute things. Meaning it doesn't have much story, character development (every girl is written to be moe), and nothing that can mentally challenge you. And since those shows sell better then, say, Eden it shows that fans/otaku would rather buy mindless moeblobs instead of anything original. Now, Bakemonogatari outsold K-ON! in total sales, and it would probably sell more if it didn't run out of stock. Thats when "not all hope is lost for Japan/anime industry/otaku" phrase was born.

---------

About sales... I am happy that it sold well, very happy indeed, or rather as happy as non-contributor with a feel of guilt that I can't buy the dvd's myself can be. I wonder how well other dvds sell.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's pretty damn good. Though I'm still trying to figure 'Bakemonogatari' out. I have to admit it's an interesting show, but...it's structure is something I'm not used to.

As for the 'Eva 1.11, I mean c'mon do we really need a special edition of a special edition? We're getting the 1.01 version. Surprised that 'Denno Coil' wasn't on the list. Or was it last year or early this year?
GordanHam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice the picture for the Eden of East volume is actually the picture for Darker Than Black(O.o)
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

Study more? People can enjoy anything at any time and I, as well as Kirkdawg, enjoyed both K-ON! and Bakemonogatari.

In case the last line in my original post didn't make it clear, that was sarcasm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5