• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: NANA GN 16-18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
Good review. I'll second the rankings of for these titles as well. The subject matter might not be for everyone, but if you do like romance, rock band, music industry, interpersonal issue themes, this really is good stuff. Just picked up volume 18 yesterday, can't wait to get into it.
Oh, If you like the manga, I can't recommend the anime highly enough too.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
NANA, the most popular shoujo manga of all time,

Based on what?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:

Based on what?

Sales.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:

Based on what?

Sales.

Per volume or over the course of the series? I'm just thinking of Glass Mask here...
PhoenixHeart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Nice review - always hard to cover a handful of volumes in one review, but it works. Looking back at 16-18 I must say I'm much more satisfied with 19+20 (we seem to be ahead in Germany)

Back then I felt the pace was slowing down and though there was hinted tragedy, I was missing the dramatic impact some moments had in the earlier volumes - also some dramatic revelations felt minor to me, as the focus turns away from the main characters and scatters around a lot. I felt Ai Yazawa tried a bit too hard in involving each character to give them depth, but that's a matter of philosophy.

At the end of the evening, I can't deny she still did a great job - way above good shoujo standards. And volume 19 and 20... now THAT's where things get massive again.

Quote:
I won't spoil anything, but it appears the series' recurring trope of narrated nostalgia might not be the prelude to unrelenting tragedy after all.

::holds back huge snickerfit::
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I love Nana, but I kinda hope it wraps up soon. I'm always worried that series I like will go on too long and start to molder. This is the first time Yazawa has written a series of such length, too...but on the other hand, she's always impressed me with the quality of her work.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
NANA is such an awesome manga, something I always recommend to my Sex in the City-loving friends who don't read manga (they're still to skeptical about Japanese comics to try it out, though). It's definately not for younger teens. You just whet my appetite for Takumi's backstory, and I'm so eager to know how the Mai/Masato/Nana's mom story resolves itself. (Why do you dislike Mai, Casey?)

Does anyone know whether Yazawa started drawing NANA again? Last I heard, she was taking a break due to an illness or injury.
JGonspy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Does anyone know whether Yazawa started drawing NANA again? Last I heard, she was taking a break due to an illness or injury.

It's still on hiatus, and from all I've heard, doesn't look to be starting again any time soon. I'm really hoping she pulls through because NANA is easily one of my favourites. Ai Yazawa actually works with very few assistants, so she's responsible for most of her work. This is the second time NANA has been put on hiatus, and the last one lasted nearly around 8 months (I think).

I'm kinda curious though, what exactly about those three volumes was squirm worthy? I may have misread the review, but I didn't really notice any myself.

Also, and this is kinda nitpicking, it isn't technically dramatic irony unless it happens within a drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1