• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Changing of the Guards

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
The winds shall bring the unknown to your anime tastes...

spoiler[lol Turn A Gundam next episode preview spoof]

Also, is that a "Yawara!" cel I see there? Very Happy
Dahling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
Aww!! We'll miss you Bamboo!!! At least you'll still be active on the site. =)

BTW: I love your 'shelves'. Very Happy Much like my own would be, if I was blessed with such a wealth of items.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
you will be missed. but i think it's awesome that you have Avs stuff among all the anime
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
Good bye, beautiful Bamboo. Crying or Very sad

I'll miss your special charm that made Shelf Life such a pleasure to read. Though I was once turned off by the thought of Cosplay, you have changed my elitist view on the subject. I Thank you and please keep new projects coming. I look forward to what you bring, when you bring it.

BTW Nice Shelves.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
Nice shelves there.

Didn't know they made a Marmalade Boy video game till now! Smile
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
OH my god, I am incredibly jealous of that Beck poster you have. I can't even relay how "do want" that is. If you ever decide that you don't want it, just let me know : P
It's a shame that you're leaving before my collection went up. I'm still not sure whether my pictures never made it to you or whether they were just never picked. Either way, your column was a joy to read, and it won't be the same without ya.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
I may have disagreed with you a few times (specifically, last weeks HIMM review)

But I will miss you doing the column =(
AWTWB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
I would like to say Thanks as well, Your column was always a big reason to stop by ANN for me. Always entertaining, funny and on more then one occasion helped me decide on a series when I was on the fence.

I always liked how you would watch anything and sometimes that would make me look forward to how you reviewed a particular show more than others(i.e. your Girls Bravo review).

Thanks again and Good luck in your future projects!

P.S. Not to sound creepy or anything, I once sat behind you at a panel a few years back and wanted to say thanks, but you seemed really busy on your laptop and so I didn't. I'm Sorry that I didn't tell you how much your column kicked butt.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
I got hooked on Shelf Life in 2005, promptly read all the archived columns, and waited impatiently for more. Your championing of Air and Kanon on a site not known for supporting big eyes and small mouths was wonderful. I anticipated every single Perishable hentai review up until you stopped doing them, which I can completely understand. You got me to watch Saikano, though I'll never understand what you see in it.

Though you were opinionated, you were always fair, and you would always admit when there was an audience that wasn't you that would go bananas for a certain title. The column's changed a lot, but you were always reliable through it all. For that, I think you. May the winds continue to carry you through green pastures all your days.

P.S. Everyone hits the wall with Love Hina eventually.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When I first started writing for ANN almost 10 years ago, I wrote a very positive review about Love Hina, touting it as the funniest anime I'd seen in ages. For the longest time, I actually believed that to be true, until one day, I hit a wall, at which point I stopped laughing at any of the scenarios in the series. I'm not sure what made me change my mind—maybe it was the slow realization that all the situations were the same, or the culmination of my slow-burning hatred for Naru.

It's probably due to Negima. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, take care, and hopefully you'll finish your stash, too. I got my own backlog I'm tackling right now.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
Wow, do you have some kind of Rei obsession?

Anyways, I can understand how you would be burnt out after doing for this so long. Hell I probably couldn't do it a month, let alone ten years! Enjoy your free time, and good luck in your future projects.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote
I have said before in a post a long time ago, and it still holds true, "Shelf Life is my favorite ANN column." Whether I have totally agreed or severely disagreed with your judgment on certain anime, I don't remember not having been entertained by your writing and creativity in any of your columns.

I wish you the best of luck on your pending and upcoming projects, as well as the whole 'enjoying being a nerd' thing, it's a gutsy lifestyle but one which still pleases me to no end year after year, so definitely good luck with that too!

Oh, and you did not ruin Christmas at all that year. I remember I was ready to buy Itsudatte My Santa when it was first coming out back then, and each time I've seen it on sale since I still almost want to buy it, but what's kept me on the fence this whole time was your review. So, if anything I think you've saved me from spending literally ones of dollars on what probably isn't a worthwhile purchase. Thanks! Very Happy

And, seriously, thank you for all the many wonderfully entertaining columns you've written. I'll be looking forward to seeing/reading your future projects here on ANN.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
I've enjoyed your column ever since I started coming here and I'm disappointed you won't be writing it anymore. You're an excellent writer and a very funny person. I haven't been reading Chicks on Anime lately (I'm far too manly) but I'm glad you'll still be around ANN. Best of luck to you and to the Colorado Avalanche in the future. (Believe me, I don't toss that second part around lightly.) Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
A thousand times the worse, to want thy light.
Love goes toward love as schoolboys from their books,
But love from love, toward school with heavy looks.
Allow me liberty my lady to wish thee great fortunes and to show my gratitude for thy blessings of Neptune's treasures. Wink
Watttt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:23 am Reply with quote
I love the column. I`ve read every single one.
Thank you and good luck:)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7