• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars, KyoAni, Gundam Win Digital Content Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p3rseus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
So looking forward to seeing Summer Wars, the trailers looked great.
Retcon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Cool, looks like KyoAni will be getting an award. If it's for one their animation projects in the past year, then they really deserve it. Hopefully, they'll produce more high quality works in the future.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
I'm sure KyoAni will get it for their stellar work on the second season of Haruhi.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny that we at least know what every winner is getting their award for except for Kyoto Animation. I'm thinking it's probably like Barack Obama getting the peace prize. The industry and fans have become so used to showering Kyoto Animation with praise simply for existing that when it comes time to hand out the awards they happen to get it just for being them. Hilarious.

If you ask me though every single one of their works this year ranged from abymsal to medicore, but I guess they'll be getting it for K-On since that managed to make a lot of people a lot of money with it's theory of:

1. Moeblob
2. Anime
3. ????
4. Profit

Well anyway at least I can put my support behind the Gundam statue project winning an award for something that was actually tangible and required honest hard work. That's how it is with this Japanese awards, there are always one's that make sense to me and ones that make almost none.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Though, unlike Obama, Kyoto Animation produces results. Whether or not you think K-On was good, you can't deny its popularity, unique structure and format, and fanbase. We don't even know that it is for K-On, but while you're jumping to conclusions *shrug* Well you'll find an excuse to deny KyoAni anything, but the general public opinion is just not with you. Don't turn this into another discussion about them.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Summer Wars either Smile
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
Though, unlike Obama, Kyoto Animation produces results. Whether or not you think K-On was good, you can't deny its popularity, unique structure and format, and fanbase. We don't even know that it is for K-On, but while you're jumping to conclusions *shrug* Well you'll find an excuse to deny KyoAni anything, but the general public opinion is just not with you. Don't turn this into another discussion about them.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Summer Wars either Smile

Indeed they produce "results" alright.....results indeed.....just like everything in existence produces results based on Newton's Laws to name but one example. Laughing

Why should I care if K-On was popular or not though? I won't deny it was, but it makes no difference as to whether I have any respect for it or the company that made it. However I will deny that K-On has anything remotely approaching a unique structure or format. My biggest issue with it was that it was derivative as can be and featured the same episodic premises you could find in any slice of life comedy featuring an all female cast. I can also easily deny it's fanbase too in that I don't consider myself a part of it's more rabid sector.

Also keep in mind that these awards do not represent the general public eh. If we were to really consider the general public after all then the majority of people out there wouldn't even give anime a second glance.

Well indeed Summer Wars appears to have an interesting premise and sounds like it's worth checking out. It helps that it's a movie and thus should hopefully have a movie quality budget and production effort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1