• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 1.0 Ineligible for Oscar Awards

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axle911

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Sucks for Eva, but saddly they'd never give the award to it over Pixar, Ponyo/Gibli is the only Anime with a chance.

Well at least Pixar actually deserved it (for once) last year
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
This year, it's Up's award. Nothing else has a chance.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would change the deadline date because Evangelion is such a good show. Anime is so mainstream nowadays that there should be more recognition and the fact they should be released in more theaters.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion wouldn't have had a chance even if Pixar had upchucked another Cars. I mean, it's an adaptation of a TV series. I know it's intended as a remake, but don't try to tell me it its popularity and praise doesn't emanate from a familiarity with the original. The Academy would have taken one look at it and gone "huh?" before turning to look at the other movies around.

And Up was simply amazing. I'd been down on Pixar for a few years, but that movie returned them to the level of admiration I had for it after The Incredibles.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
We all know Up is going to win, but it wouldn't even have had a chance to be nominated, what with the tough competition from the likes of Ponyo and Coraline plus the upcoming Fantastic Mr. Fox and Disney's return to 2D animation, The Princess and the Frog.

I'm guessing we might get 16 (and, thus, five nomination slots) should Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist get a couple of screenings in Los Angeles by the end of the year, and, if not that, there are always one or two "no chance" independent or foreign animated films nobody's heard of or will ever hear of again after they fail to be nominated that somehow get submitted anyway, so I think 5 nominations are still a reasonably good possibility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Could care less about Evangelion 1.0 being eligible. I just hope that Coraline steals another award away from Pixar. Nothing against Up and Pixar (I love them both dearly), but Coraline is hands down the best animated film this year in my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jyuichi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Could care less about Evangelion 1.0 being eligible. I just hope that Coraline steals another award away from Pixar. Nothing against Up and Pixar (I love them both dearly), but Coralineis hands down the best animated film this year in my mind.

I absolutely agree. While all three are wonderful films, the quirky stop-motion Coraline really ought to win. Smile
vilapupu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
woah, I remember hearing this news in there Virtual panel (when it happended) that someone asked a question in there and said about this and now, I see it here. News sure gets on fast.
yeah, its ineligible.
I also hope to see Pixar stealing the award away of Coraline (like everyone is writing here).
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Whoah. Who's bright idea was it to even ask the question of Evangelion getting an Oscar nomination...

That's like a Crank, or Transporter getting an award...

Mostly due to the need to have at least 16 eligible animated films to nominate 5 films instead of 3. With 5 nomination slots, Ponyo would pretty much get a lock in the final group. But with 3, it'll have to battle Princess and the Frog, Coraline, Fantastic Mr. Fox and others for the final two spots (with one spot already locked for Up). Yea, Up should take the prize this year, but with more nominations, I think taking the nomination would be worth it for Ponyo.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't think it deserves a nomination, anyway. I mean, I appreciate the technical merit and the smooth narration (when compared to the series), but it felt a little paint-by-numbers, in terms of direction, when compared to the series it was based on.

(And yes, my avatar comes straight from said movie.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
hopefully they won't wait as long to release Rebuild 2
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
As much as I would love to see Eva win an Oscar... it sadly doesn't seem very likely that it would get more than a sideways glance by voters here in America. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
hopefully they won't wait as long to release Rebuild 2

That's what I was thinking! I hope that it's actually eligible for an Oscar, and can beat out whatever Pixar belches out!
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Whoah. Who's bright idea was it to even ask the question of Evangelion getting an Oscar nomination...

That's like a Crank, or Transporter getting an award...

Mostly due to the need to have at least 16 eligible animated films to nominate 5 films instead of 3. With 5 nomination slots, Ponyo would pretty much get a lock in the final group. But with 3, it'll have to battle Princess and the Frog, Coraline, Fantastic Mr. Fox and others for the final two spots (with one spot already locked for Up). Yea, Up should take the prize this year, but with more nominations, I think taking the nomination would be worth it for Ponyo.

Fantastic Mr. Fox isn't likely to get nominated. It'll be a bit too esoteric for the Academy (it is a Wes Anderson film after all...can't wait). It's most likely a four film race for 3 spots: Princess and the Frog, Up, Coraline, and Ponyo.

Though there is a slim chance that Up may be nominated for Best Picture and, as such, people might not vote for it in the animated category.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't think it's very likely to win anyway but it's still a shame for a movie to miss out on even the possibly of being considered on a technicality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4