• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
how about the ability to search for titles that are missing information? For example, find all anime that lacks a summary, or a picture, or an age rating etc.
If that were to be implemented then I'd suggest allowing to restrict this information to animes you have "Seen all", as those are the animes you're most likely to be able to provide information about.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
How about not restricting the amount of times companies can be list? For example Bakugan Battle Brawlers was released in Canada in French and English by Vivendi on DVD (along with Beyblade by Sony Wonder, and Spiders Riders by Vivendi). But I can't add them to the French staff because they've been listed in the English staff. Nor can I list Nelvana for the production of the French dubs because they've been credited for the English ones.
littletykes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
how about the ability to search for titles that are missing information? For example, find all anime that lacks a summary, or a picture, or an age rating etc.
If that were to be implemented then I'd suggest allowing to restrict this information to animes you have "Seen all", as those are the animes you're most likely to be able to provide information about.

Regarding the titles lacking information, isn't the title display a bit indicative of the state of the encyclopedia entry? like if it has a lot of info, it would be in blue bold letters, and if not, it is just normal, and it gets darker (and thinner) the less info it has?

On a different note, would it be possible to add a discussion thread link right on the encyclopedia entry (like "discuss this in the forums" or something.)

the box on top which contains
This title is in Seen all
You rated this anime Very good
etc
could add "would you like to discuss this in the forums?"
and hyperlink it to jump to the "official" discussion thread.

It might help increase participation in the forums from people like me who usually just go to ANN to check out the encyclopedia entries. (I make it a point to go to the forums now though.Razz)
littletykes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
when adding information (such as plot or themes) is it possible to add a "justification" or "explanation" requirement instead of just the source? I've seen many entries that say "watched the anime", but watching the anime sometimes isn't enough (esp. when adding trivia).
denisjhon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Hello
Encyclopedia is best in all section.
But i am preferred to use Wikipedia instead of encyclopedia.
Sometime encyclopedia goes to different topics.
mommidono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
A Sticky Thread for suggestions to the encyclopedia. In order to keep this thread organized, posts will be deleted and summarized.

Existing Suggestions & To-do Items

Create Anime Maintainers [Dan and I know what this is]
Re-do Anime Submission format [Ditto]
Re-do Error Reports [Ditto]

QuestionI wasn't sure where to post this error...

Just a small error in anime G list... I tried to add the Gravitation: Lyrics of Love (OAV) to my anime list, but when you select it in the anime section you get the listing for the manga (OVA)... Confused a link got mixed up?

thanks,
mommi~

mommidono Confused
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Just a couple suggestions I wanted to throw out there:

-It would be good if you could switch between displaying people/companies works by date as well as by name.

-The 'compare' function is very cool but a bit tough to use. It would be much better if you could have a checklist of things to compare and not compare. Also, it would be a lot easier if you could add anime to your compare list just by checking them off and then clicking a button in my anime.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Nobleman wrote:
About the Trivia pages.

They are really messy as they are now. Implementation of some sorting system would be really nice. Let's say trivia would be sorted acording to episodes.

For example:
Basic trivia:
Character X concept is taken from anime Y.

Episode 1:
During lunch character F stands near statue which reminds T from series J.
----------------------------------------
While walking in the park, they are talking about W from series T.

And so on.

Trivia could be added same way as companies/cast/staff. It would require to press "+" (Floating thingie would say something like: Add trivia for ep D) and voila, no more mess.

PS: please don't kill me if this has been suggested already.

Found the above from a few years back, and this was what I was about to suggest. Bumping it back up, but also giving my suggestion about implementation:

(forgive me if I use the wrong terminology)

For roles in anime, you can enter precisions. This is how the "main" characters are at the top, followed by the "secondary" characters, and then everyone else.

My suggestion would be for a similar field to be placed in the trivia submission page. Precision could be either "general" (or a symbol or something), or an episode number.

When viewing the trivia page, anything marked with the precision "general" would be displayed first (like with the "main" characters section), and anything marked with an episode number would be listed below that, in order of the episode. Anything that's submitted without a precision would be listed below this.

The one problem with this, would be where to put trivia that, while not being "general" trivia, appears in more than one episode. An example that I noticed this morning is on the Death Note trivia page (sorry, no link), in that the song "Nightmare" (1st ED) appears in multiple episodes, as an actual part of the episode (I noticed trivia that it's ringtones in 2 separate episodes/trivia entries). One option would be to have it entered as two separate trivia, one for each entry, or the other would be to have it listed under the first episode it appears in, but including the other episodes.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the above:

I think something close to what you want could be achieved simply by sorting all the trivia alphabetically rather than by order of submission. Here's why:

Many of the trivia pages already have a sort of organizational scheme to them. For example, many follow a certain format like "In Episode X, (Maybe Title of Episode,) you can see this thing that does some stuff..." This way everything would be organized into chronologicalish order. Then we would be left with the random trivia that does not apply to a single episode. These bits of knowledge would all then fall in line above or below the chronological part.

If the submission guidelines outlined how the trivia should be worded, then going forward we could achieve some measure of structure. This would also make it easier for Dan to move this information into a more in-depth system later down the line if he so chooses.

Here is something I've been thinking about:

At work I'm used to collaborating with my co-workers on all sorts of projects. If somebody asks me about the small part that I did, I answer their question as best as I can and if they point out some way that what I did could be improved, changed or corrected, I try to do it. Why can't this mentality work here? Suppose there was a team of quasi-editors here who could see who submitted information, but couldn't change it. They then would be able to PM the original contributor about their information rather than merely submit an error report. If it's something simple, such as a spelling error, importance change then the OC could just edit their own submission rather than involving editors' time (who are prolific enough contributors that their time would be just as well, or even better, spent submitting new information). I know I would be willing to take advice on my submissions. Perhaps these quasi-editors could be picked by the current editors, or there could be a submission threshold, or a threshold to flag somebody to give approval.

But then again, I might be underestimating the number of people who would be willing to listen, willing to talk, and the amount of time this could save the editing staff...
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Can the ANN reviewers and their reviews be added to the Encyclopedia? We all have a reviewer or two that we side with and it'd be very helpful to have that person's reviews on one page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Can the ANN reviewers and their reviews be added to the Encyclopedia? We all have a reviewer or two that we side with and it'd be very helpful to have that person's reviews on one page.

?_?
The reviews *are* listed in the Encyclopedia...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
No, no, no. I'm talking about a single page that has all the reviews done by a single reviewer. Like how a voice actor's page has all of the roles they've done.

So, if I were to search 'Theron Martin' the first link that pops up goes to his page that has all of his reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
No, no, no. I'm talking about a single page that has all the reviews done by a single reviewer. Like how a voice actor's page has all of the roles they've done.

That would be a suggestion to the editorial instead of the encyclopedia, then. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
That would be a suggestion to the editorial instead of the encyclopedia, then. Anime smile + sweatdrop

...but I'm asking if they (reviewers) can be added to the encyclopedia as people. Just a page with links to all the reviews a reviewer has done is what I'm looking for.

Look at it like this:
If reviewers were in the encyclopedia, I could go to Theron's page, for example, see all the reviews he's written and then click on a link that takes me to the review of his I want to read.

It'd be very similar to thelist of reviews, except there would be separate pages for for the separate reviewers.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm all but positive that question has been asked before. For now, you can get a list of reviews by a specific reviewer like so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 21