• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, October 12-18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Taisho Yakyuu Musume! I'm glad I'm not the only one who loved it. Very Happy
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Yay for Taisho Yakyuu Musume! I'm glad I'm not the only one who loved it. Very Happy

Taishou Yakyuu Musume is not bad at all, but the Japanese blu-rays are an upscale, which is really inexplicable (if not inexcusable) for a new series, and it certainly can't help sales of future volumes.

On the other hand I'm glad to see Bakemonogatari will probably be the highest selling series of the year with about 60000 of vol 1 sold so far between BD and DVD. Also glad to see strong sales of S&W II, I'd like to see more seasons of that.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
That's a real shame, it was a nice short show.
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Taishou Yakyuu Musume is not bad at all, but the Japanese blu-rays are an upscale, which is really inexplicable (if not inexcusable) for a new series, and it certainly can't help sales of future volumes.

I wish the production staff would simply be more forthcoming with info about shows.

If they announced to begin with "we're making this show at SD resolution" then we'd be "well, that's kind of lame but oh well" and would buy the BDs anyway just for the better codec/bitrate, but the way things work now, where the TV broadcasts are scaled every which way and have basically no relation to the video quality of the masters, and the producers don't let out any info, it comes as a big shock when you buy a BD and then the contents resolution is that low.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Also glad to see strong sales of S&W II, I'd like to see more seasons of that.

Tell me about it. I don't doubt III is coming, though.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
If they announced to begin with "we're making this show at SD resolution" then we'd be "well, that's kind of lame but oh well" and would buy the BDs anyway just for the better codec/bitrate, but the way things work now, where the TV broadcasts are scaled every which way and have basically no relation to the video quality of the masters, and the producers don't let out any info, it comes as a big shock when you buy a BD and then the contents resolution is that low.

The thing that makes this especially weird is that J.C.STAFF has been producing all their shows in HD for a few years now, unless this show is some sort of weird exception. Plus, TBS/Pony Canyon recently released K-On! and other shows on Blu-Ray that were clearly not an upscale. I wonder what happened? Very strange...
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:21 am Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari beatin some ass!!!!

Wow K-ON still on the chart at #3 for a Month.. K-ON Beatin Some Ass.

Spice and Wolf = Fail!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:35 am Reply with quote
You've an interesting definition of failure Mario. How does being ranked 7th indicate failure?
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
yay for good sales for Bakemonogatari
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Bakemonogatari beatin some ass!!!!

Wow K-ON still on the chart at #3 for a Month.. K-ON Beatin Some Ass.

Spice and Wolf = Fail!

I'd be amazed if you ever posted anything that added value to the conversation. Have you ever posted anything without going on about how something or other sucks?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1