• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Anime News Network encourage fansubbing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think tempest is based in Montreal, not Vancouver, but I've already been factually wrong once in this thread, so...

Past, I don't really know what more you expect ANN to do to make itself have "less fansub talk and more pro-industry mindset." As I have already pointed out, you are not allowed to ask for or provide links to fansub sites here...not even privately. I don't know it for a fact, but if they didn't allow discussion of current shows that can only be accessed through fansub sites, I'm pretty sure they'd experience a crippling loss of traffic.

So what exactly do you suggest they do?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Fansubs are illegal and as such, they cannot allow people to post links to them.

Fan sub sites are not illegal. People connecting to copyright material on those who open their computers are the law breakers.

dtm42 wrote:
Well, there is the case of The Pirate Bay (oh how the mighty have fallen), but by and large, I see your point.

US judges have no bearing whatsoever on the legal standings of The Pirate Bay. This honor goes to the US entertainment industry.

Blood- wrote:
So what exactly do you suggest they do?

I also noted the irony regarding the fan sub site rule while discussions of series not released went on. But as a web developer myself, I know why ANN's position is such (even if based on speculation without 100% from the site owners themselves).

Section 230 (also known as "Safe Harbors") only applies to US website ownership. Those websites out of US jurisdiction fall prey to our idiotic, stupi... crap, doing it again, entertainment industry's whims of suing first, asking questions later.

Thus, imagine the position ANN would be in should they allow links to fan sub sites. They'd be no different than The Pirate Bay, but anime fans would take a 180 degree turn for ANN's innocence because it now affects their lives directly.

ANN's website is registered through Canada (registrant lookup confirms this).

Given all this, if I were running a website out of the US, I wouldn't be taking any chances to get jailed for running a legal website posting links to infringing content despite not hosting any either.

It's bad enough ANN's flirting with allowing copyright images via the avatars their users choose (especially since they make a local copy for storage).

But that's over semantics, right?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I've used Anime News Network's encyclopedia for a long time now.Since about 2003.I used it to catalog a lot of my anime I've had over the years.I didn't get into digisubs until late 2004,in which yes,ANN's site is a great tool for finding,collecting and prepping the newest shows from Japan.It does seem like they unintentionally encourage fansubs.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Fan sub sites are not illegal. People connecting to copyright material on those who open their computers are the law breakers.
Uploaders are the only ones who are ever in any danger.Leachers (who happen to spread past the original intent) have nothing to worry about.Don't be afraid of what you've heard.They use pathetic scare tactics to keep the masses from downloading.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Given all this, if I were running a website out of the US, I wouldn't be taking any chances to get jailed for running a legal website posting links to infringing content despite not hosting any either.
Taking chances? What about Google search? Until they get rid of Google,all the other little piddly direct sites are useless. Google is the ultimate collector and offender.I couldn't find FMA:B 18 through [Eclipse]'s old web site,so I used Google search and sure enough.There it was.It didn't even need to go to a separate page,Google gave me the download.Thanks Google!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, I think tempest is based in Montreal, not Vancouver, but I've already been factually wrong once in this thread, so...

No, you're right, his staff profile says he lives in Montreal. I could have sworn it said that he lived in Vancouver, but you don't argue with a staff profile, no siree.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
US judges have no bearing whatsoever on the legal standings of The Pirate Bay. This honor goes to the US entertainment industry.

So true. Sadly.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Fansubs are illegal and as such, they cannot allow people to post links to them.

Yes, but regardless of the technicalities it still largely amounts to pointing people pretty directly to something illegal. It seems fairly reasonable for ANN to prohibit that.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Taking chances? What about Google search?

Google does not host the images. It merely extracts them from existing websites. You have to click the image to see it, and that takes you to the website.

Quote:
Until they get rid of Google,all the other little piddly direct sites are useless. Google is the ultimate collector and offender.

I don't want to know why you feel this way, but you're assessment is inaccurate and based on ignorance on how the web works.

Quote:
Google gave me the download.Thanks Google!

No, it gave you a link to the download. Please understand the difference.

For without this understanding, your relevance to this discussion is moot.

ikillchicken's reply states why the topic is an issue to begin with and why your assessment makes it such.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
A few quick notes:

1) I live in Montreal.
2) ANN is a registered Canadian Corporation, is privately owned, and no other company active in the anime industry in any way has any equity in the company or say in the way the website is run.
3) I've stated and explained ANN's policy on fansubs before and feel no need to re-address it. My personal feelings have obviously evolved in the last two years, ANN's policy has not.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

It's bad enough ANN's flirting with allowing copyright images via the avatars their users choose (especially since they make a local copy for storage).

ANN's legal responsibility (In US and Canadian law) is to remove those pictures if and when a copyright holder tell us to. Both countries have safe-harbor laws that protect us from being sued over things that users place on the site.

This would be a cop-out if we were dealing with highly infringing material, but there's no indication that there is any resentment among copyright owners in regards to the use of images as avatars.

In other words, the ones infringing on copyright are the users (you), and ANN does nothing to stop it because we have no reason to believe that the copyright holders / licensees disapprove of the practice.

There is also some "fair-use" argument there, but it isn't enshrined in any legally defined fair-use.

/me knows more about imaginary property laws, ethics and practices than he does about things that actually interest him.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Google gave me the download.Thanks Google!
PetrifiedJello wrote:

No, it gave you a link to the download. Please understand the difference.

Google didn't even give him the link. If Google gave him the link, Google would be complicit. Google's automated processes found the link for him.

It might seem like a semantic, but it's an extremely important (legally speaking) semantic.

-t
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I thought ANN was owned by ADV.

eta: I just checked ANN's wikipedia page and I'm obviously wrong; I thought I had read that somewhere.

I meant to mention this before but forgot - I suspect you were thinking of the Anime Network which is owned by ADV. I frequently get them confused whenever I see a report about TAN, especially since both are streaming anime these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/news/1998-12-21/fansub-news-ssa-mdc shows in the past they had links to downloading programs for fansubbing. So, I am going on a limb to say that in the past, yes, they seemed to.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
Since I've been called out a little bit here...
Annf wrote:

(Although, when ANN's own forum mods talk about their trouble with using HD TV encodes they downloaded from fansub groups...
I've never made it a secret that I watch fansubs. I was merely giving an honest answer as to why I might not be watching any Fall 2009 anime, as per the topic of the thread. Since people asked me for my reasoning, I posted about the technical issues behind it. I didn't consider that encouragement of fansubbing; in fact it was more of a rant against the trends in the current fansubbing scene. If you look at the subsequent replies, you'll see that a couple of people posted things like "man, that makes me glad I don't download fansubs" in response to my post. Anybody who feels they must have "BAAAAW HD QUALITY!!" is probably DLing fansubs already.

Note that relevant technical issues of fansubs have been discussed before, because they can affect people's perceptions of the anime itself. Also note the standard disclaimers that all comments made by admins, Encyclopedia Editors, forum mods, or other associated staff are their own opinions, and not necessarily representative of ANN philosophy or editorial stance. On a purely personal level, I advocate that people check out anime they're interested in by whatever means they can, but to follow that up by financially supporting what they like if it's available in their part of the world.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Zalis, I've respected your view on fansubs for a long time and know that the issues you have with the industry (yet being a much more avid anime DVD buyer than I am and your collection dwarfs mine by any comparison), center more on quality of titles that are put out by people who do this as a hobby and receive no financial compensation for their hard work. It is a very valid reason for supporting fansubs. Forum mods shouldn't have to take flack for saying they personally enjoy fansubs for aesthetic reasons and criticize industry for expecting to get a buck from consumers with a shoddy subtitling job. I feel regretful for the behavior of some people on this, it makes the anti-fansub groups look bad frankly.

I'm not saying I support this fansub quality mindset, because to me as a industry supporter subtitle quality by fansubbers is irrelevant. I don't think the industry should compete with fansubbers, the goal of mine with supporting the industry is to leave the anti-piracy groups to the anti-piracy groups. The consumer can make a big impact too, so I don't really know what role ANN should take (I was asked that earlier), but the mindset that it's industry vs. fansubbers is just realization that the industry has already lost.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/1999-06-09 has an article about fansubs and the illegality of it being addressed even a decade ago. The article was also written a little over a month after ANN had its first anniversary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2