• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Fred Schodt

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for interviewing one of the most Western figures of anime/manga! I used to have a Mobile Suit Gundam novel where Fred was the translator. Since he knew Tezuka personally, he would be a great person to have at several cons since he was friends with the modern anime/manga creator. I guess also one could say that if it weren't for Fred, the impact manga has had in North America wouldn't be the way it is.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
A small mistake in the transcript: "peaked", not "piqued". Embarassed Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
A welcome, if all too brief, interview. Something more in depth, with more meat on the bones would have been all the more welcome.

It would have been nice to find out whether Schodt has another book in the works and what he thinks the likely prospects for the English language manga market are.

Still, I'll take what I can get.

---

Oh, and "piqued" does not mean the same thing as "peaked". ANN is in desperate need of a decent proofreader. I respect and appreciate ANN as a professional news source but typos (and misplaced links) in pretty much every other article / column / review give a rather amateurish, slipshod impression.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

Oh, and "piqued" does not mean the same thing as "peaked". ANN is in desperate need of a decent proofreader. I respect and appreciate ANN as a professional news source but typos (and misplaced links) in pretty much every other article / column / review give a rather amateurish, slipshod impression.

I will admit there've been more typos that have slipped through lately, and that's my bad. I'll drink more coffee and pay closer attention.

However virtually every site out there - I mean, I can't get through a day's news on Huffington Post without there being small typos and minor screwups in every other article or so - has issues like this, so the next time you see a typo please do not rush into the forums to proclaim how incompetent and amateurish we are.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
However virtually every site out there - I mean, I can't get through a day's news on Huffington Post without there being small typos and minor screwups in every other article or so - has issues like this, so the next time you see a typo please do not rush into the forums to proclaim how incompetent and amateurish we are.

I don't think you (or ANN more generally) are either incompetent or amateurish - just that too many errors might create that impression.

And whilst I've never read the Huffington Post, no, none of the other online news sites I frequent - ranging from the one-man-show comics news of Journalista at one extreme to the biggest-news-organisation-in-the-world BBC at the other - have anything like the same frequency of errors.

Anyway, pay no mind to me: drunk, tired, cranky and pedantic is a terrible combination.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rather than deconstructing a work, I like to look at it as a vehicle to understanding something larger.

I like that attitude. Cool
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Funny. If he really does follow the trends you'd think he'd heard of cell phone manga by now.
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I think it's Hasegawa Machiko instead of Michiko.

Oh, also great interview. Smile
Please for the love of my life do not die out anime and manga...

Last edited by diligent sesame on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this guy's been reading manga for many decades...
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Very true. I've long since stopped being surprised by MSN.com articles with sentences rendered unreadable by incompetent C&P work and slipshod rewrites.
Acinom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Very awesome!
Agreed that the interview was on the brief side, but Mr. Schodt's responses were very interesting. Especially the bit about finding The Four Immigrants.

More anime/manga scholars, please. Very Happy
nicomorr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
Schodt said:
Quote:
I think people who are serious about wanted to understand where the manga phenomenon comes from have to go back through the animal scrolls and choujugiya in Japan and look at those, and then there's the whole woodblock print series - the kibuyousha, the yellow jacket series. There's a great book out now by Adam Curran about that, so it's possible to read some of these stories in English now.

It is impossible to truly enjoy Manga or Anime on a mature level without understanding the history. You have only to see Takahata Isao lovingly unrolling the ancient scrolls and explaining how he uses them for inspiration and source. This is NOT a Hollywood fad, this is a thousand year-old artistic and story-telling tradition.

Thank you for the article.

However - I cannot find the "great book out now by Adam Curran" - can anyone point me to a source for it?

Respect,
Nico M Twisted Evil
fschodt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Hi. Thanks for the interview! I like it, but I notice there are several typos of Japanese names, because what I said in the recording has apparently been phoneticized (the wrong way). I would like to help correct the errors. How can I email either the editor or Evan?

Confused

Thanks much, Fred
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
fschodt wrote:
Hi. Thanks for the interview! I like it, but I notice there are several typos of Japanese names, because what I said in the recording has apparently been phoneticized (the wrong way). I would like to help correct the errors. How can I email either the editor or Evan?

Confused

Thanks much, Fred

Email me: zac at animenewsnetwork dot com and I'll fix them all ASAP.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
fschodt wrote:

Confused

Thanks much, Fred

Email me: ***at animenewsnetwork dot com and I'll fix them all ASAP.

How about an ANN regular column Mr Schodt? I'd read anything you wrote. Might be added to "Buried Treasure" as my favourite and only other regular ANN read Smile

And while I'm at it, more info on Frederick Schodt is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Schodt
http://www.jai2.com/ (own site).

Like I said, respect,
Nico M Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2