• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Fred Schodt

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
While I would hope that at least the Japanese might still be reading manga on their cell phones and/or PDAs, and not in book form, it is disheartening to hear that the medium doesn't have the same market penetration that it did in the past. Still, that could have more to do with market correction than anything else. [I.E. people were buying it simply because there was so much of it, and now they're being pickier, because of their neo-recession.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
What a wonderful and all- too-short interview! I'd be very fascinated to learn the history of manga with some depth, and I second the request for a column or special feature authored by Mr. Schodt. It's too bad the interview ended on such a somber note; I hope that manga isn't going out of style.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
Rather than deconstructing a work, I like to look at it as a vehicle to understanding something larger.

I like that attitude. Cool

Agreed. Deconstruction can be so... dry.
dxInt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote

Last edited by dxInt on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
nicomorr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
dxInt wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
However - I cannot find the "great book out now by Adam Curran" - can anyone point me to a source for it?

Another typo. I think it's supposed to be "Adam L. Kern", who published Manga from the Floating World: Comicbook Culture and the Kibyoshi of Edo Japan in 2006.

Anyway, great article. Schodt is awesome, and I love all his work.

Seconded, thirded and thank you for the author/book name:

http://www.amazon.com/Manga-Floating-World-Comicbook-Monographs/dp/0674022661 (600 pages).

Thank you,
Nico M
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
All of Fred's fixes have been made. I apologize for the errors in this interview.
samehat ryan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Great interview! I admire Fred's work deeply and consider him a friend. I love hearing him wax on manga/anime.

For folks looking for further reading about Fred's history with Japanese & Manga, and details on how the first manga translation projects came together, please see my interview with him from Electric Ant Zine #1. This interview is about 6000+ wordsand was conducted in January 2008.

http://electricantzine.com/ea1-fred.html
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. I can really relate to Schodt's sentiment on scrutinizing pop culture a little too critically. I'd like to hear what he has to say about the peak of anime and manga as mediums in Japan.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
samehat ryan wrote:
Great interview! I admire Fred's work deeply and consider him a friend. I love hearing him wax on manga/anime.

For folks looking for further reading about Fred's history with Japanese & Manga, and details on how the first manga translation projects came together, please see my interview with him from Electric Ant Zine #1. This interview is about 6000+ wordsand was conducted in January 2008.

http://electricantzine.com/ea1-fred.html

Enjoyed the Electric Ant interview and it reminded me to check out the UK publication of Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Vol. 1 which is out in the UK today, translation by F Schodt. Serendipity struck.

Nico M Shocked
orionism1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
I think this has been one of the best articles that I've read on ANN in a very long time. I've been a long time fan of Anime, but actually recently discovered Fred Schodt's works. I just finished reading Dreamland Japan, and am moving on to The Astro Boy Essays I've actually yet to read Manga!Manga! but already bought the hardcover and intend on giving it some attention very soon. I've found Shodt's writing to be very historically informative and well researched, I'm glad ANN was able to get this interview.

I'd also love to see more articles from Mr. Shodt here on ANN. Samehat Ryan or Ryan Sands? Your interview (http://electricantzine.com/ea1-fred.html) was very insightful and the stuff I love to read especially this line.

Schodt: I don’t make a living from doing things relating to manga anyway, it’s always been just a sort of expensive hobby, basically. [LAUGHS] It’s been for the love of it.

This statement seems the driving force behind many fans today, including myself. The love of the art form for it's great entertainment value and often very insightful and humane portrayals of the human experience are what keep me reading and watching. Thank you for this interview and also thank you to Mr. Schodt for helping to bring a better understanding to Japanese culture.

I'd also like to know if any more of Tezuka's works are being translated right now? When I first began researching the "The God of Manga" I was amazed at how difficult it was to get a hold of many of his works. Especially if you don't speak Japanese. To date the only manga titles I've been able to find where here.
samehat ryan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Orionism, I'm glad you enjoyed the interview with Fred. (This is Ryan, the guy that does Same Hat & worked on Tokyo Zombie)

Now is actually the best possible time to be an English reader of Tezuka, there's been a flood of his stuff coming out in the last 5-6 years. The are still many, many more books & series out there, but available to us now are

Digital Manga Publishing (DMP)

Swallowing the Earth [2009]

Viz Media

Phoenix (12 volumes) [2003-2007]
Phoenix: A Tale of the Future (tradebook) [2002]
Adolf (5 volumes published under the Cadence label)
Black Jack (2 volumes) [1999]
Princess Knight - selection in July 2007 issue of 'Shoujo Beat'

Dark Horse

Astro Boy (23 volumes) [2002-2004]
Metropolis (1 volume) [2003]
Nextworld (2 volumes) [2003]
Lost World (1 volume) [2003]

Vertical Inc.

Buddha (8 volumes HC) [2003-2005]
Buddha (8 volumes SC) [2006-2007]
Ode To Kirihito (1 volume) [2006]
Apollo's Song (1 volume) [2007]
MW (1 volume) [coming fall 2007]
Dororo (3 volumes) [spring 2008]
Black Jack (multi-volume set) [Volume 7 is out now, ~20 total coming]

(via Tezuza in English)
samehat ryan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
To note, Fred Schodt worked with Jared Cook on translations for: Phoenix & Astro Boy, along with working on the translations for Tezuka x Urasawa Astro Boy retelling, Pluto.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
Deb Aoki, About.com Guide to Manga has just made a page "15 Manga by Osamu Tezuka" meaning "15 Manga by Osamu Tezuka in English":

http://manga.about.com/od/recommendedreading/tp/OsamuTezukaManga.htm

Note the second page & more links to additional Tezuka info, and that this is a decent small seminal sample of his best works in English and a tiny sample of his total output.

Nico M Shocked
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
Rather than deconstructing a work, I like to look at it as a vehicle to understanding something larger.

I like that attitude. Cool

Agreed. Deconstruction can be so... dry.

Indeed. This is one of the reasons that I hated the English course I took in my first year of University. In highschool I had loved English classes because the focus was on grammar and writing, but in University it was about reading and then deconstructing stories. I hated that because I'm an avid reader of fiction material (both in novel and graphic novel forum). Also I find that people who "read into" what something "means" are just pulling crap out of their butt.

*tch* Although it could just be that deconstructing things in that manner pisses me off so I'm biased! LOL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2