• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva, Metal Gear Creators Judge Twilight Art Contest

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
I don't really follow Twilight but mixing it with manga/anime/fanart? Please tell me the industry hasn't gotten this desperate.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Twilight + anime/manga fanart = me puking
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
This kind of thing happens a lot in Japan, similar to how Yen Press changed the cover for the Spice and Wolf novel in the US to reach a "wider audience" rather than just the usual anime/manga fans.

Of course, I'm sure a lot of anime/manga fans will just write this off, as it's "just Twilight". Rolling Eyes I don't like Twilight either, but I'm also for as few alterations as possible.

Also, the fact that Sadamoto and Kojima are supposedly "huge fans" of the Twilight series is a bit strange. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it is a bit unexpected.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I imagine chains had something to do with this

Last edited by prime_pm on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
I dunno, a prize from Sadamoto would be pretty sweet. He has always been one of my favourite character designers.
I agree that Twilight is pretty lame, but I'll be the first to admit that the books are insanely addicting, and the movies are unintentionally hilarious (My friend and I laughed our butts off at the New Moon trailer, and watched the first Twilight movie with Rifftrax)
Give me Bill Compton from True Blood over Edward Cullen anyday.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
What the freaking hell?

Uhhh, is there actually some substance to this Twilight thing? Shocked
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
No, no, it actually makes sense.

In Japan, Twilight is repackaged as a light novel-- I believe they've actually even split the books into shorter pocket-sized novels-- complete with generic anime-style art on the cover.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
I want to find this cool, but I just can't. It seems morally wrong to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
okay, Sadamoto, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU????????????? Seriously, did they hold your relatives hostage or something? That's the only explanation I can think of as to why someone would even be remotely involved to this disgusting series. Thank the stars that vampire god Kikuchi has nothing to do with this.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
okay, Sadamoto, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU????????????? Seriously, did they hold your relatives hostage or something? That's the only explanation I can think of as to why someone would even be remotely involved to this disgusting series. Thank the stars that vampire god Kikuchi has nothing to do with this.

LOLZ

My mom is obsessed with Twilight and she will probably die knowing that they're going to promote it with that filthy manga/anime in Japan. Meanwhile, I'm feeling disgruntled about it for the opposite reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
In Japan, Twilight is repackaged as a light novel-- I believe they've actually even split the books into shorter pocket-sized novels-- complete with generic anime-style art on the cover.

Yea, Twilight was released as a light novel series in Japan. They were split up into smaller installments otherwise, it wouldn't be much of a light novel. There are also some illustrations in each book. There are a lot of people who think that Twilight is a manga in Japan when they see scans of those illustrations ^^;
Axle911

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
liloaznangel wrote:
minakichan wrote:

Yea, Twilight was released as a light novel series in Japan. They were split up into smaller installments otherwise, it wouldn't be much of a light novel. There are also some illustrations in each book. There are a lot of people who think that Twilight is a manga in Japan when they see scans of those illustrations ^^;

But in all honesty, I can see how it would work as manga, It does have a TON of shojo cliche's
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow... two creators of my favorite anime and video game series... getting involved with the blistering awful twilight series. Well, I hope they got paid well.
Rozarie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
OH GOD guys you OVER REACT too much. I'm not a twilight fan my self but Transformers and Speed Racer , Dragon Ball was the same or WORST slap in the face to anime/manga and the movie industry , it was a punch in the nuts ( JUST like Astroboy is gonna be ) . if you reaallly want to see a good movie go watch Schindler List srsly /: If you wanna read a Good Book go to Search for Tolstoy

I am just and fair. twilight was bad but there were same or worst movies that many of you enjoyed

( I cant really put my head still on harry potter! I can't understand how many people like it! yet I don't complain like a brat every time someone talks about harry potter! )

so then let Japanese have their contest it's not like you people are gonna be the judges /:

I know everyone it's gonna say "I have my opinion and A can sah' what ever I want! *burps* *scratches* "

BUT one thing it's expressing one's opinion and other just being an ass.
expressing once's opinion it's done with respect. I don't see you guys having a best selling novel. And if you had one that would be because you are educated and your opinion would be polite /:

Ahh sorry I just exploded. I'm tired too seeing everyone over reacting over a bad movie when the cinema is full of bad movies, it's like if you are complaining over a hair on your garbage soup.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4