• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation TV Ranking, October 12-18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NDenizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
Either post more results besides the Top 10 or stop doing these altogether.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:

At first I thought this was a very rude post, and then I realised that you do have a point. The top ten are filled with the usual suspects (will Doraemon ever die?), but what most people really want to know is how the current season's Anime are faring relative to one another. Focusing on just the top ten, and only for a single region (no matter how massive), is kind of pointless.

Yes, perhaps the source only lists the top ten. I don't know, as I literally cannot read a word of Japanese. But even if that's the case, ANN should wonder as to why it publishes such an uninformative list. Surely there are other sources out there that go into more depth. Why not try some of them?

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
skchai1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
In general it's true the ratings are very predictable, but this week's has an interesting entry in Kaidan Restaurant, which is a new anime this season that's flying completely under the radar in the US.

Yes, it is generally true that family-aimed shows get higher ratings, which may explain, in part, why few of the shows are popular among US anime fans. But there is a reason why shows like Doraemon and Chibi Maruko are the top ones not only in Japan but throughout Asia - they are usually pretty entertaining and on occasions extremely funny, even after running for so many seasons.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The top ten are filled with the usual suspects (will Doraemon ever die?), but what most people really want to know is how the current season's Anime are faring relative to one another.

There's always DVD sales. That's where most of the after-midnight anime pulls ahead of the daytime programming.
sburstall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
NDenizen wrote:

At first I thought this was a very rude post, and then I realised that you do have a point. The top ten are filled with the usual suspects (will Doraemon ever die?), but what most people really want to know is how the current season's Anime are faring relative to one another. Focusing on just the top ten, and only for a single region (no matter how massive), is kind of pointless.

Yes, perhaps the source only lists the top ten. I don't know, as I literally cannot read a word of Japanese. But even if that's the case, ANN should wonder as to why it publishes such an uninformative list. Surely there are other sources out there that go into more depth. Why not try some of them?

This has been my contention with this list. The top 5 are all kiddie animes which, as you stated, don't do well in states. I also would like to see how other the summer/winder animes are ranking. Even here in the US they list all the tv shows for the week with thier Neilson ratings so you can see how your favorite show is doing.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Sazae-san isn't really a kiddy anime, it was more aimed at housewives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Turdaewen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
All of this is very, very complicated.

First of all, the original list of the Kanto region shows about 40 top rated animes.

But, even so, this ratings are very complicated as to 'look at how the series are going', for many reasons:

First of all, because ratings in Japan don't mean the same as they do in the US, in terms of public acceptance. Most the anime will not 'get canceled' if they have low ratings in a particular period of time, unlike american tv series. They usually don't measure if an anime is having more episodes or sequels due to audience or not.

Second of all, because this ratings only take a small sample and, even so, of people watching the show at that particular moment, when a expressive number of viewers in Japan watch online streaming or previously recorded shows, making ratings even more distorted.

And third, because TV ratings are an statistics data made primarily for the publicitary companies to decide when they're going to buy advertisement spots and the price of a particular ad spot and their primary audience, but, alone, it says little about what we really want to know: which animes the Japanese are liking the best.

In that sense, people are right to say that the DVD sales is a rating a lot more realistic than the TV ratings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1