• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former ADV Dubbing Studio Voices Halo Legends Project

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
You can't be serious.... So they still dub? Microsoft must be behind this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Too bad it's not Bang Zoom because Steven Blum would be perfect for Master Chief. Who in Texas could do that role?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
So, not only are we looking at a giant corporate cash in on top of the novels, games, board games, comics and much more, but it's being handled by a sub par dubbing studio?

Hokay, have fun with that MS. You might have managed to get me to watch it if say, there was a good quality to it but frankly, this just kinda flushed those chances down the drain.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Steven Foster is also directing the voice actors, yay I'm excited, I'm starting to miss my old ADV cast members now with FUNimation being the only studio that still dubs piratically.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, I for one think this is awesome news for the new-companies-that-formed-from-ADV to land such a high profile title. Kudos to them! Hopefully this will open doors for them to acquire more titles/do more dubs given the opportunities and clientele this could open up to.

Typical forum stuff... So when a company doesn't dub, people complain and when a company dubs, people complain? Rolling Eyes

As far as good quality - ADV's dubs have been consistent favorites with critics and fans - even with all the problems going on last year, ANN awarded dub of the year to ADV's Wallflower production, and AoD gave the nod of Best Dub/Director to ADV's Kanon and Best Overlooked dub to Welcome to the NHK.

Last edited by SXAniMedia on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
And why, praytell, didn't they just use the voices from the game? You know, the ones all the game fans know as the voices of the characters? Why have a defunct dubbing studio do the recording for it just because it's "anime", when there are already established VAs for it? Especially when I doubt this will serve to draw in anime fans, and the game fans will probably be pissed that Master Chief doesn't sound like Master Chief... oh well.

*Goes on his merry way...*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Downes
kakitamike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess this means no nathan fillion voicing military soldier B
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
This isn't surprising in the least, as it came to light months ago that Joseph Chou was overseeing the project, and he had formed a company called J-Spec pictures. The company was actually found to be registered by John Ledford. So it's understandable that they would use their own dubbing studio for the project.

I was probably going to pass on this, but I guess I may have to check it out after all. YAY!
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Why not get the actual voice actors from the game?
Can't imagine it feeling the same with your generic US dub VA's...
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome! For most of the time I loved the dubs that came out of ADV. BTW SXAniMedia I read this on your blog this morning and I flipped, this news totally made my day! Like you said I hope they get more work in.

teh*darkness: Where is the voice cast for this? Maybe I missed it but I don't think there is one so just wait a bit. They got Dante's game voice for the Devil May Cry anime so there is a possibility that they'll try to treat this in the same manner.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there hasn't been a voice cast announced yet, so it's possible they may get the actor for Master Chief. Like you said, they did it for Dante. And this has more money behind it, and will probably sell five times what Devil May Cry did. To be honest, I would be more surprised if they didn't get the original actor, but you never know.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
How do they get the original video game cast if most of the characters will be new?
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
SXAniMedia wrote:

Typical forum stuff... So when a company doesn't dub, people complain and when a company dubs, people complain? Rolling Eyes

Yeah that seems to be how it is, unfortunately. And I agree ADV did do some great dubs just before they lost all those titles to Funimation.
Precis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I will be incredibly sad if Steve Downes isn't voicing the Chief. D:

Well... ADV have done some great dubs in the past, so I suppose it could been worse. Hope they do a good job.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Well they might as well do something with that studio, it's not like their using it.

They just better do some dusting in there or they will sound all nasally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3