• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comedy anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Static29 wrote:
Can anyone recommend me an anime like "Full Metal Panic - Fumoffu"?

The same style of comedy. I just feel like nothing can top Fumoffu, that show was the best comedy anime I've ever seen...hilarious.

Maybe Seto no Hanayome, It is not exactly like Fumoffu, but it probably has some similar comedic styles, except instead of secret service soldier it is daughter of mermaid yakuza, and her overprotective family.
anime#7460
amanz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
Chobits- I just watched this series over and every time I see it I still get a good laugh out of every episode.

Kannagi- I've watched the first five episodes of this and it is just great another show that makes me laugh just thinking about some of the stuff they do. It kind of reminds me of Chobits in the respect that the main character has no idea what any thing is or how society works.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
amanz wrote:
Chobits- I just watched this series over and every time I see it I still get a good laugh out of every episode.

From what I remember, the later episodes had next to no comedy in them. Early goings were notably light-hearted, but surely you must have found fewer laughs as the plot began to head towards its conclusion- at certain points it was quite the opposite of jocular.
(That said, quite a few comedy anime end up sacrificing their consistency of humorous material for narrative drama- even something as madcap as Dominion Tank Police had quite a dramatic revelation near its finale.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scamp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Inumaki

This one is a bit of an aquired taste. To give you an example of a gag, the main character gets transported to an alternate dimension full of macho men in loincloths who challenge him to a hip-thrusting contest...yeah, I'm not kidding in the slightest.

Hetalia Axis Powers

Probably the funniest anime of 2009, it takes all the countries during the WWII era and turns them into bishies. The name literally means 'useless Italy' and the series basically revolves around the countries arguing amongst one another and jokes about racial stereotypes. For example when Germany goes shopping, he gets frustrated when the Greek guy in front of him takes ages to unload his shopping (while Germany might be angry though, he is no where near as frustrated as the Austrian)

I'd like to second Cromartie High School and Hare+Guu. Those are my two personal favourite anime comedies.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I saw mention of Maison ikkoku, which I've read (like 5 times+) but still haven't seen much of, but it's still one of the funniest manga I've ever read period and I hear the anime is just as good. The series takes a normal world filled with realistic characters (as compared to Rumiko Takahashi's other series, that means characters that can't jump to rooftops effortlessly with improbable weapons, etc, etc) and the world itself is grounded in reality, but the characters are hilarious and the comedy stems from them and the situations that they're in. It's a mix of slice of life comedy and a romance story that will make you laugh your head off one minute and almost cry the next (more so later on in the series). You might feel badly for the main character, but in a way you want to laugh at his misery sometimes, just like the other tenants of Maison Ikkoku, who consist pretty much entirely of comic relief characters that are downright hilarious in a way that still stays fresh throughout all 15 volumes. It comes to being a great comedy with great characters and if you're looking for an overlooked great romantic comedy, you've come to the right place.

Almost forgot to mention Otaku no Video, which I think hasn't been mentioned up til now. I saw this at Otakon, it's a two episode long OVA (each episode being an hour long) and consists of two parts mixed together: an animated part that tells the story of a normal, non-otaku guy as he becomes an otaku and opens up an otaku related business eventually, which is periodically interrupted with live-action segments of interviews with different types of otaku (who all have their faces mosaiced and their voice altered). Both parts are hilarious, but I preferred the live-action parts here, the interviews were all sorts of mixes of wrong, sad-but-true, and just plain funny. They asked the question "have you ever considered dating a real girl?" to someone who really likes ero-games, to which an awkward response of spoiler[ *pause* "don't you think (anime girl) is really cute?"]. This is the type of comedy that long time otaku should really watch, so long as they don't mind feeling slightly awkward at the end because you just know some of it might apply to you!

And for a short but sweet experience, Osamu Tezuka's Broken Down Film will satisfy. Forget the old style western bad guy who's tied a helpless girl to the railroad track here, the real problem is the quality of the film itself! It has horrible noise issue and keeps messing up and confusing the main character, who makes great usage of it to win against the bad guy. It's only 5 minutes and it'll be on the Osamu Tezuka shorts collection coming out soon, so check it out.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I saw anyone recommend this next one:

Dai Mahou Touge, also known as Magical Witch Punie-chan-Punie, the next in line to inherit the throne, must spend a year on Earth before she can inherit this throne. This is basically another magical girl parody. It has everything from the main character breaking bones, to talking vegetables, to double-faced mascots. I found it to be quite enjoyable. A lot of fans of Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan seem to like it (the violence is a part of the humor, though this one doesn't have as much blood as Dokuro-chan) I myself didn't see Dokuro-chan, but nevertheless I enjoyed Punie-chan. At only 4 full-length episodes (with two segments each episode) it's perfect for those depressing rainy days, or when you're simply feeling down and need a pick-me-up.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash! - Pani Poni Dash!'s central storyline revolves around Rebecca Miyamoto, class 1-C's child prodigy homeroom teacher, and the antics of class 1-C. The characters attend a high school called the Peach Moon Academy where Rebecca has taken up a job as one of the teachers after being the youngest graduate at M.I.T. and is being watched by Aliens that are in space and screw up the story every now and then. Though the story never strays from the focus of the four first year classes labeled 1-A through 1-D, the mishaps that occur in them, the teacher's lounge, and on school trips also become sources of material for topical allusions regarding satire, anime, Internet, gaming, and popular culture. (Taken from Wiki)

Negima!? - A dark sinister tale befalls ten-year-old Negi Springfield and class 3-A. One year after Negi's arrival at Mahora, two representatives from the Magic Academy arrive at Mahora with the news of the disappearance of a mysterious artifact known as the Star Crystal. The Star Crystal holds a power that not even the Thousand Master could control. Even though the reason or the cause behind the Star Crystal's disappearance is a mystery, the effects of the artifact begin to envelop Negi and his students. Surrounded by a menacing power, Negi and the class must cope as the dark power harass and attack the class at a moment's whim. Simultaneously, Negi places his thoughts towards his missing father, while the supporting cast do all they can to provide assistance. (Taken from Wiki) (This is not the first anime, it is the one done by SHAFT )
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
I can't believe no one here mentioned Detroit Metal City. While nowhere near the level of Fumoffu (just can't compete because of the budget), I can say with absolute certainty that it is the show that made me laugh the most (I've even accidentally destroyed my old keyboard by spilling tea on it), second only to Fumoffu. It really does have a budget comparable to the salary of an illegal immigrant, and, well, it looks pretty eyecancerous, as they say nowadays; but somehow it still manages to be one of the most hilarious series out there.

Thanks to whoever recommended Desert Punk, will be watching it later.

(I hope this post doesn't count as necro, 'cause it's the only official thread anyway?)
Hankukmi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
You are all guilty of neglecting one of the funniest animes ever: The Irresoponsible Captain Tylor! This became one of my favorite animes as soon as I saw it. The characters really keep you attatched to this series. Hilarious!

GTO is another funny series and good overall.

FLCL is whackey funny but I dont recall if it ever really made me laugh. That being said I think it deserves a great deal of respect for being what is really a unique and genius work.

Lupin III- If you haven't seen Lupin yet youre missing out. My favorites are The Castle of Caliostro and First Contact.

Ranma 1/2- Very funny. Same genre as Tenchi I guess although I never really watched that.

[EDIT: Fixed first bold tags ~Zalis]
monochromesapphire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree with Mister V DMC is HILARIOUS. All episodes made me laugh rolling on the floor. Every detail of the plot is just insane and the President...oh, what else can I say. If you want a good laugh, I would recommend DMC.

Fumoffu is still certainly my favourite when it comes to comedy but it is wise to complete the first Full Metal Panic installment or you'll be confused with the story.

I can't forget Ouran High School Host Club. In fact, I just watched it for the third time..Tamaki-senpai is such a no-brainer sometimes I can't help fall in love with his stupidity!

Oh yes, I almost forgot about Ranma 1/2. It's an old anime but certainly worth the watch. It's about a guy, Ranma, who accidentally fell into a cursed spring and become a woman whenever he comes into contact with cold water. He becomes only become a man again with hot water. It's kinda long though, more than 100 eps.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Omg... great recommendation, I just watched 4 episodes of DMC and I'm dying of laughter right now! The production value sucks but the comedy is just balls to the wall good. Thanks again MISTER V!
Prede

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
GTO - This anime is a well written comedy, with enough drama to help hold your attention. It has great characters, touches on some serious themes, and never fails to deliver on the laughs. And it has something many comedies don't anymore, it has a heart. Plus the show just makes you feel good! You gata love a show that can do that. Sure the artwork is dated, and the jokes are crude at times, but there's a reason we're still talking about the show all these years later...It's an excellent comedy I highly recommend.

The Ping Pong Club - This anime is not afraid to go ANYWHERE for laughs. From a ping pong game with Adolf Hitler, to a "special type of serve", to lots of crude nudity, to super glue being used to seal up a certian part of the body, this is some crazy and pervy stuff in it. It's so twisted, it's so funny, it's so crazy. It's a series that should be watched by all fans of comedy. And the best part about it is everytime you think they can't possibly go any further with it, they top themselves! They keep pushing and pushing the boundries. Nothing is sacred here... This is some very edgy stuff. It's worth watching to see what crazy thing Maeno will do next, alone. Not to mention all the other crazy characters. This anime will show you some stuff you've never seen before, although you probally would rather not see them anyway Razz . And every 5 seconds you will be rolling over in laugher, which is always good Very Happy . Oh and the dub is excellent.

Animation Runner Kuromi 1 and 2 - Helmed by the master, Akitaro Daichi, these little OVA's are incredbly funny, and very fresh. Daichi never fails to deliver the laughs, and he also never fails to make you care for all these characters. it's a cute show, and it's not at all dumb. In fact this is a very smart show, I bet you'll learn something when your done watching. "An Anime about how anime is made". CPM's DVDs have Daichi doing a commentary (on the first OVA) and they have an interview with him as well (on both the first and second OVA). Both OVA's are loaded with other great extras as well. I can't reccomend these OVA's enough.

I wouldn't call either Dominion: Tank Police or Welcome to the NHK comedies. Both are rather comedy-dramas, with the latter being more of a drama, with some dark humor elements throughout. I would not watch either of these looking for a fun time, or laughs. Instead I would look for the great stories and characters, and go along with the ups and downs of the plot along with the characters. Both get quite sad at times, esecially NHK which can be downright depressing at times. But both are also very laugh out loug funny as well. Both series do come highly recommended from me though, regardless of them being considered comedies or not. Dominion is such a classic, and NHK is destined to become one as well.
AndreXoXo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
Maria+Holic--From the same creators of Pani Poni Dash comes another dark comedy. Maria Holic revolves around a lesbian high school girl, Kanako Miyamae, who is scared of boys and breaks out in hives if a boy touches her. During her second year of high school, she enrolls in an all-girls school hoping to find a female romantic partner. However, her ideal candidate, Mariya Shidō, turns out to be a sadistic cross-dressing boy. This one I learned about through the OP. Now everyone knows from watching Pani Poni Dash that Shaft makes excellent music for their series and the music in this particular series doesn't disappoint.

I would also like to point out that although the comedy in Pani Poni Dash was dark expect this series to be even darker. The kind of situational humor that Maria induces onto Kanako is both deplorable and hilarious in it's nature. I may go so far as saying that the comedy can be rather offensive but it can be expected considering the creator. The animation doesn't disappoint either and it looks amazing. Shaft and the creators have been known to use a lot of typography to emphasize the plot and the situations the characters are getting into. Much like their earlier series you'll see a lot of that type of animation in Maria+Holic. I highly recommend it!
Grazzlebaz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
Rosario+Vampire I found to be very funny. It's a romantic comedy about a human boy who goes to a high school, and it turns out to be a school for monsters (witches, succubuses, ogres, shapeshifters, cat chicks, whatever) and the first person he happens to meet at this school is a girl who happens to be a vampire who wears a rosario on her neck (hence the name)that when taken off (suprisingly only he can take off) she turns into a more sinister version of herself. throughout the 2 seasons he befriends all kinds of different monsters (a good majority chicks) and his relationship with the vampire (and the other girls) develop. Its a well done show with lots of laughs and fun. also a heads up to those ecchi fans, they throw it out alot in there. GLHF Wink
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Papuwa - Absolutely fantastic! This kid with superpowers gets stuck on a tropical island and all these guys have to go there to get him back. Well... the actual plot takes up about 5 of the 26 episodes. Really, it's zany adventures with lots of blood, violence, fire, and oddball comedy, much like Ninja Nonsense. I don't know how "Americanized" the English dub is (it's not that much; not like Crayon Shin-Chan), but who the frack cares? And if ya love yaoi, it's a gay-joke goldmine! There's only 1 woman in the whole series... if you could call her that; the rest of the characters are either anthropomorphised animals or pretty men. Score!!

It's technically a sequel, but the "first" series is really long, and more... 4kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6