• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Next Panel Reports

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:20 pm Reply with quote
There was a Marvel Panel there too. I missed the very start of it. Mostly it was questions about Marvel Comics and their movies. As for Marvel and manga, they said they're not interested in publishing Japanese books. They want to leave that to Viz or Darkhorse or Tokyopop. They did say they wanted to look at manga in both an art and story way and a marketing way. The editor there, CB Cebulski, worked on Runaways and was very into Japanese comics and how Marvel is trying to see how to emcompass aspects of manga to improve its own comics. Runaways and comics geared more toward female readers are prime exmaples of this.

I told him I was really enjoying Runaways and while I need to get it as soon as it comes out, I also thought the digest sized collections were great. He commented about the recent twist without giving anything away (heh heh) and said that Runaways 'Season 1' would be wrapping up and a second 'season' would be starting.

I also asked about Japanese artists like Tsutomu Nihei as I loved Snikt! and loved his Japanese books like Blame!. He said while Nihei is busy with his new series, he is lined up to do another series for Marvel next year. He also said Katsuya Terada was going to do a book for them next year. While looking Terada's name, I found that this has been in the pipleline for some time Article here.

Other than the Marvel panel, we didn't hit many others. We went to the FoxBox one whcih turned out to be mostly a VA Q&A. After it we asked if anyone heard anything aobut One Piece, but no one did. The VA for Leonardo reconized my friend dressed as Luffy. Plus one of the VAs also did voice work on Daria and I'm guessing we were the only ones in the audience that had seen it. The whole con seemed to have an even younger audeince than most cons.

We also went to the really good costuming panel and AMV panel.

The maquarade was horribly organized with terrible crowd and particapant control, horrible sound, and poor lighting.

It wasn't a great con, but still not the worst I've been to. I heard they were better last year and next year they're moving someplace new. I'm guessing it was a good small con that wasn't ready for this.

-Xenos
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:17 pm Reply with quote
ADV's rereleasing Nadesico, I see. While I couldn't care less about 5.1 remixes, I wonder what these video enhancements entail. Do they mean they're using new masters, or removing the overlays that made the current masters look so bad? I wouldn't mind more details on this, but given that I already have Nadesico, it would have to be some improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
It's a nice improvment over the VHS tapes, which I have yet to upgrade from. I'm happy. Mr. Green

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I believe they will be removing overlays, as Williams referred to 'issues' with the current release. I haven't seen the ADV releases of Nadesico (...and don't spend much time in the AoDVD forums), so don't really know exactly what he's referring to...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I can see that as a reality. ADV went very heavy on the kanji masking in their Nadesico release, removed just about all signs of it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:05 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Ah, I can see that as a reality. ADV went very heavy on the kanji masking in their Nadesico release, removed just about all signs of it.

Emerje

Well, there was so much text in the show, I could almost understand it. If the overlays weren't so much sharper and more than the rest of the show, it wouldn't have been so bad. Generally, I don't rebuy anything without good reason though. So it all will depend on what they do. I also avoid the AOD.com boards(not to mention the site itself) as well. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:19 pm Reply with quote
To answer questions about what we are doing with this release:

As mentioned, its getting a new 5.1 sound upgrade. Each release will contain 2 discs, so instead of the original 6 disc release, you'll get it in 3 sets of 2 discs at the essential anime price.

The overlays are being removed. The overlays were a set of graphics added over the original Japanese text. Basically hard subtitles for those familiar with that term.

I'll post more details as I get them.

Allen Divers
Online Marketing Manager
ADV Films
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Allen wrote:
As mentioned, its getting a new 5.1 sound upgrade. Each release will contain 2 discs, so instead of the original 6 disc release, you'll get it in 3 sets of 2 discs at the essential anime price.

Music to my ears. Shop at a place like Deepdiscountdvd.com and the whole series could be available for as low as $35.

Emerje
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:30 am Reply with quote
Interesting, I must say. Are you remixing both languages into 5.1, or just the dub? I may be a minority on this, but I prefer watching stereo shows in stereo. ADV's been pretty good on keeping the japanese tracks that way.
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:12 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Interesting, I must say. Are you remixing both languages into 5.1, or just the dub? I may be a minority on this, but I prefer watching stereo shows in stereo. ADV's been pretty good on keeping the japanese tracks that way.

The Japanese track will remain as it was. The way we record our dubs allows us to create a 5.1 track with ease, so its not really a matter of converting a stereo track to 5.1, but just taking the original recording and saving it as 5.1.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:41 am Reply with quote
I see, that's good to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1