• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo, Astro Boy Submitted for Oscar Nominations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Secret of Kells should win. But Pixar will probably get the Oscar again, as usual.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I would have to say I can already see UP being the winner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why ONLY childrens fantasy win Oscars, Akira is dubbed the greatest animated film of all time by many and it probably is, but that would NEVER win an Oscar even if it was new and got an American release on time. Steamboy nor Metropolis would get the honor, GITS would never get a nomination.

Spirited Away and Ponyo, not that they're bad or anything, just for meeting the 'children's' standard get the nominations, in my opinion, to put rules on a category kills the artistic side of it.

But I wanna know, how the hell is Astro Boy even being considered to be nominated? That movie was panned like hell! It seems the Oscars is getting stupider every year, they put action movies up for best picture, now they nominate shunned movies? Wow, the Oscars really means nothing anymore. If only Richard Burton was still alive.
darkstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of some of those & when was there a 2nd CHipmunks movie made??? Not that I ever really cared to see the first one. Rolling Eyes

I'm not up on the rules & regs but it sounds like they have to be released in theatres to be considered - didn't Tinkerbell just come out on a direct-to-video release?

*shrugs* I do not get the whole process & think the academy needs to have their heads examined for some of the films that end up getting nominated and/or winning.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a crowded field, to be sure.

As some of you already said, UP will probably take the Oscar. "9" might get a nomination, but it'll probably be considered a dark horse. At least it can't be considered as strange as "Paprika" (yes, I know that was from a few years ago).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Well, the Secret of Kells should win. But Pixar will probably get the Oscar again, as usual.

Clips I've seen make me really want to see "Secret of Kells." It's nice to know somebody outside of Japan is still doing awesome 2D animated films. That said, Pixar is pretty much the shoe-in every year; "Cars"must really have sucked for it to have been overlooked. At least this year I think their film is a truly excellent one rather than being just the best due to lack of competition.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Clips I've seen make me really want to see "Secret of Kells." It's nice to know somebody outside of Japan is still doing awesome 2D animated films.

It truly deserves to be recognized. I hope it at least gets nominated. And, y'know, it'd be nice to have a DVD release too...
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
It's a crowded field, to be sure.

As some of you already said, UP will probably take the Oscar. "9" might get a nomination, but it'll probably be considered a dark horse. At least it can't be considered as strange as "Paprika" (yes, I know that was from a few years ago).

9 was received with a big 'Meh' from critics and audiences. It really doesn't have a chance to win.

Probably the only movies with an outside shot are The Fantastic Mr. Fox [Wes Anderson's first animated movie], Ponyo, The Princess and the Frog, or Coraline.

With Up being the favorite to win.

Those five will probably be the nominations, assuming that at least 16 films are accepted.
okitasan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
The best animated film category is such bs.
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
darkstar wrote:
I'm not up on the rules & regs but it sounds like they have to be released in theatres to be considered - didn't Tinkerbell just come out on a direct-to-video release?

Yes, films have to have a theatrical release to be considered for Oscars. The catch is that the theatrical release doesn't have to be nationwide. It only has to occur in certain cities and only for a very small period of time. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tinkerbell had a small limited theatrical release simply to qualify it for Oscar contention.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'll be rooting for Ponyo. I too think the category is bs. I think I would feel differently if great animated films like Spirited Away and WallE were also nominated for Best Picture.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The real story is that one of these films could get nominated for Best Picture, too. And that hasn't happened since Beauty and the Beast. Lasseter might have some Miyazaki-love, but will that still hold in the face of pressure to have the Mouse House dominate the latter category for that year?
Vapors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:

But I wanna know, how the hell is Astro Boy even being considered to be nominated? That movie was panned like hell! It seems the Oscars is getting stupider every year, they put action movies up for best picture, now they nominate shunned movies? Wow, the Oscars really means nothing anymore. If only Richard Burton was still alive.

This is submission to be eligible to be nominated, nothing has been nominated yet. They are simply tossing their hat into the ring to see if something shakes out. Considering, the quality of the other nominees, their chances are pretty slim they make it to the final group.

darkstar wrote:

But I wanna know, I've never heard of some of those & when was there a 2nd CHipmunks movie made??? Not that I ever really cared to see the first one.

*shrugs* I do not get the whole process & think the academy needs to have their heads examined for some of the films that end up getting nominated and/or winning.

You probably have not heard of some of these due to the fact that some of them have not even been released yet and/or they are small independent works that probably will not be played outside the LA/NY areas. As for Tinkerbell, the rules state that any film to be eligible needs a qualifying run in LA or NY for a week. That is probably what happened with Tinkerbell. The popular theory to Oscarwatchers is that Disney really, really wants Princess and the Frog to be nominated and thus put a film out there just to bump up the number of eligible films and increase the nomination field. And you are not alone in thinking that some chocies are odd, but the Academy is a private group and they can cobble together whatever "best" list they want.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
IMO, the first half of Up is superb and deserves something, even though I haven't yet seen Secret of Kells, which looks awesome. The second half left me a little cold and bored; the whole thing thus assembled leaves me with something of which I don't know quite what to make. I'm pretty certain Up will win. I don't know if the Oscars ever carried any suspense or if I simply grew out of it, but I'm pretty indifferent about this category this year.

But A&tC2:the Squeakquel? Is that not only half-animated? Does it even count?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starre257

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm rooting for Ponyo... UP will probably win, but eh.

(I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but Ponyo is the only one on that list that I've even seen. I'm really looking forward to The Princess and the Frog, though. I want to see Secret of the Kells, too.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4