• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Excessive Loading Times For Videos Here At ANN

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
It's funny. All the debates I've seen about legitimate streaming versus fansubs, and I cannot remember a single instance where someone mentioned loading times. I'll be blunt; the videos that ANN hosts take too long to load. And I don't even watch - well, try to watch - the H264 versions.

Look, I know that for legal Anime streaming to work it has to offer episodes in high quality. I know that. But it also has to offer speed. I normally allow fifty minutes to fully buffer a single low-quality (but still tolerable) episode of a streaming fansubbed Anime. Yes, I have a crappy connection; New Zealand isn't exactly known for its amazing speeds. However, fifty minutes is way way faster than the two hours PLUS it takes to buffer an episode that ANN hosts.

Now, I know that I get what I wait for, and the episodes offered on ANN do look very pretty, even in the "lower-quality" streams. But I simply do not have the time to lock up my Internet for literally hours just to watch a single episode for exactly one time. If it was a download, then that would be (mostly) alright, but as a stream it just isn't worth it.

And about the quality; some YouTube videos of Anime offer a quite decent quality for amazingly small files. Sometimes I can load all three parts to an episode in just thirty minutes, and the quality is only marginally worse than what I see here at ANN.

I really want to be able to watch my Anime legally. But there is no point in saying "a legal stream exists" if it is so unworkable and offers only a slight increase in video quality. In those cases I'll just stick to fansubs. I'll have to, as ANN isn't providing me with a reasonable alternative.

Yes yes, ANN doesn't actually make the videos. It just puts up what it can, so I don't hold it responsible. However, it is my hope that ANN can in the future secure smaller videos, either by asking the content providers to give them smaller videos or by reducing the video sizes themselves (if ANN is allowed).

Not everyone has super-fast broadband. I mean, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would willingly trade video quality for a drastically reduced loading time. If the industry would cater for people like me with turtle-like connections then a major advantage of using fansubs would be negated.

So, a propose a bargain. If the industry provides us faster-loading videos, then I'll use legitimate streaming. Until then, I have no choice but to use fansubs.

Thanks for listening.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
From our side, we'll try to see to it that our next CDN has a POP in NZ. North Americans, Europeans and Asians get our videos instantly.

YouTube obviously has a POP much closer to you, so their videos stream like they should.

As for the bargain. You should probably address it to Siren and Madman.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Justin is downright obsessive when it comes to streaming quality Anime smile
I'll see what I can do to talk him into encoding ultra-low-bandwidth streams; it's what h264 is best at, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Our data rates are incredibly low compared to other streaming sites, so the problem is clearly lag to New Zealand. That's between our CDN and your internet provider. We've made similar inquiries in the past, and they've just kind of shrugged their shoulders. I can try anyway though.

You can help us out by doing the following:
- Tell us the name of your ISP
- perform a traceroute to edgecastcdn.net and PM me the results.

I can't promise anything will happen, but we'll do our best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1