• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Game-Based Dante's Inferno Animated Video Clip Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Seems brighter and more colorful than I would have expected. Seemed like it should have been a bit more gritty. Didn't look particularly well animated either, seemed a bit simple with a lot of panning and stills, but maybe they just chose a poor set of clips.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Well the game looks like a bland God of War rip off.

The anime looks like it could be good, But is it a series or movie? If it's a 13 episodes series that would be great.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to see this.It looks amazing!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
The anime looks like it could be good, But is it a series or movie? If it's a 13 episodes series that would be great.

Movie. Or "feature-length OAV" if you want to be picky about it. Wink
Alucalb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
A six-part anthology? Are they skipping a few circles of hell in this or will Dante go through more than one per short?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
The game CGs from the game website looked better.

Maybe Dante makes it to only the 5th or 6th circle.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Looks fake, to me, like an imitation of itself. Can't say for certain from a trailer, I guess, but from what I see I'd bet that it'll be a soulless sort of thing.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Maybe Dante makes it to only the 5th or 6th circle.

We clearly see some clips of the 9th circle in there.

Can't say my expectations are too high, given that these media tie-in pastiches from various Japanese animators have yet to actually work out.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a big let down to me. The animation quality looks quite low and it comes off as being general bland. It seems odd that people like Shukou Murase and Yasuomi Umetsu are involved in such a boring project. Over all I'd have to say I'm not looking forward to this at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I also think it looks lifeless and rather generic.
Guess EA is keen to tap into the popularity of anime with it's games, but adding a few well known names into the mix can't polish a turd.
They should have taken a good look at Hellsing Ultimate and aimed to imitate or take inspiration from that. Would have had a fighting chance then.
kenji_salk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
I also think it looks lifeless and rather generic.
Guess EA is keen to tap into the popularity of anime with it's games, but adding a few well known names into the mix can't polish a turd.
They should have taken a good look at Hellsing Ultimate and aimed to imitate or take inspiration from that. Would have had a fighting chance then.

Going the over-the-top route of Hellsing would not only be grossly inappropriate for the subject matter, it wouldn't even reflect the tone of the game this OVA is based on.

Granted I wasn't impressed by what I saw here on the trailer, I think the suggestion is "MAKE IT MORE CRAZY" is an even worse route for this thing to take.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm surprised at the negative feedback on this, as I think its look pretty good. Its hard to judge by the trailer, but if you watch the official EA trailers, it looks pretty much in line with their vision. What you also need to understand is that above any anime, the only better place to go is CG itself.

I love that the characters actually look very european in design, and therefore a bit more realistic and in line with their source material. We hardly ever see this in anime anymore, as its all about the emo and the moe.

Whether its Halo like vision eps or not, I'd still like to be good and somethng worth checking out, in an anime market where this type of anime is pretty scarce.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
braves

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
kenji_salk wrote:
Going the over-the-top route of Hellsing would not only be grossly inappropriate for the subject matter, it wouldn't even reflect the tone of the game this OVA is based on.

I didn't want to link to this article, but....

Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking of something in Hellsing that's worse than that.

And I agree with everyone who's said that this looks like lifeless. Not looking forward to it.
EvilMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Samauri Champloo

Am I the only one who noticed that?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
kenji_salk wrote:

If by "subject matter" you mean Dante Alighieri's original work, the game passed "grossly inappropriate" long ago Smile. They could probably open up Dante's tomb and use the rotational force of his remains as a source of free energy, at this point.

Also have trouble seeing it as anything but over-the-top, based on trailers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2