• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/stay night Gets TV reproduction Special Editions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
This hasn't been done that often since the Armitage III : Polymatrix was done.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
I would really like for someone to explain to me why Fate/Stay Night is so popular. WHY are there 800000 Saber figures? Why does everyone rave about how good this show is?

I watched the entire series, and I thought it went from interesting to ehhh to terrible.

First of all, it doesn't make a lot of sense - they never explain why spoiler[King Arthur comes back as a woman. I thought it would have made more sense and been more empowering if she had been Joan of Arc, for instance. It didn't bother me TOO much that she was female, though. However, it bothered me A LOT when she turned into a blushing dating sims character. I mean, seriously? If you're going to buy that this woman was KING ARTHUR and is the strongest epic spirit, then why does she turn into a stupid blushing, girly ball of mush at the end?

Honestly, I think that all these wimpy otaku men love Saber because she is a strong female emasculated. Why can't she stay strong and stoic? Her character change is completely unbelievable, because not only is she no longer really human, but she was supposed to be a man (and not a yaoi fangirl man Wink)

It would have made more sense if they went the Rin route for Shiro's romantic interest, IMO.

The series also completely fell through on any interesting plot involving Rin and Sakura. I'm still not really sure what the point of their connection was, since they breezed over it in about 1/2 of an episode.]

Overall, I just hated and did not care about the characters. It's such a poorly executed series, that I don't see the appeal. (Now, the visual novel / game may have been awesome, but I have no experience with it).
zero_chance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
First of all, it doesn't make a lot of sense - they never explain why spoiler[King Arthur comes back as a woman. I thought it would have made more sense and been more empowering if she had been Joan of Arc, for instance. It didn't bother me TOO much that she was female, though. However, it bothered me A LOT when she turned into a blushing dating sims character. I mean, seriously? If you're going to buy that this woman was KING ARTHUR and is the strongest epic spirit, then why does she turn into a stupid blushing, girly ball of mush at the end?]

spoiler[In FSN continuity, King Arthur was always a woman, Arturia Pendragon. When she was able to draw Caliburn from the stone, she disguised herself a man because the Britons wouldn't accept a woman as their King.

As for her emotional side, her stoicism was originally her downfall. Beyond her immortality, her emotionally repressed facade cast her as enigmatic and untrustworthy, and her kingdom eventually turned on her.

In becoming emotionally expressive, she found greater strength in being able to rely on others.]

On top of that, a lot of the fandom stems from the greater depth of the visual novel (especially the Unlimited Bladeworks story path), rather than the anime. While the anime is fairly faithful to the story material, the Fate story path is the most "shallow" of the three stories, dedicated more to giving the characters equal billing, rather than delving deeper into the more interesting ones.

That, and FSN has Archer. Everyone's GAR for Archer.

Last edited by zero_chance on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
I will say this. If you only watched the anime you may be confused. The series is based on the visual novel of the same name and it's goes ALOT deeper with pretty much every single aspect of the story.

I can assure you everything in the story is done for a reason. However that may not seem as apparent if you have not played the game.
ryukage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
It would have made more sense if they went the Rin route for Shiro's romantic interest, IMO.

The series also completely fell through on any interesting plot involving Rin and Sakura. I'm still not really sure what the point of their connection was, since they breezed over it in about 1/2 of an episode.

This would be why you should play/read the original visual novel. A key element to each of the three paths available is the dominant romantic relationships: Saber, Rin and Sakura. The series is based on the 1st arc with Saber, but Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel have Shiro paired with Rin and Sakura respectively.

The series didn't delve into the other sub plots because they weren't included in that path in the original. This of course doesn't mean that you must like the show more, but it may help explain why people who are more familiar with the source material found the series more enjoyable.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
Another thing we'll never get on R1.
DMNT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
[quote="ryukage"]
jenthehen wrote:

This would be why you should play/read the original visual novel. A key element to each of the three paths available is the dominant romantic relationships: Saber, Rin and Sakura. The series is based on the 1st arc with Saber, but Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel have Shiro paired with Rin and Sakura respectively.

The series didn't delve into the other sub plots because they weren't included in that path in the original. This of course doesn't mean that you must like the show more, but it may help explain why people who are more familiar with the source material found the series more enjoyable.

While the series was based mostly on the Fate route (of the VN), it did combine some elements of the Unlimited Blade Works route as well; spoiler[Sōichirō being Caster's master, for instance, which isn't the case in the Fate route]. I can't remember if it has any elements of Heavens Feel, but if it does, they're probably very minimal (especially considering most of its content Wink).
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Another thing we'll never get on R1.

Once the Geneon-Universal Japan thing is sorted out in terms of what direction they want to take, then perhaps the likes of FUNi can start licensing and releasing their titles again.
Until then, no, we won't see this on R1.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah, it seems like Fate/Stay Night has a much better story in the visual novel ... then shame on the anime for not translating the story better! Smile

I feel like an anime series, even if it's based on a manga, visual novel, or a novel should be able to stand alone (even with changes). Fate/Stay Night apparently failed on that :/
zero_chance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Ah, it seems like Fate/Stay Night has a much better story in the visual novel ... then shame on the anime for not translating the story better! Smile

The anime translated the story just fine.

It's just that the visual novel contains three entirely different story paths that are virtually irreconcilable (while the characters and their backstories are the same, the story events are completely different). So while the other two story paths might be a bit more interesting, they're even more character-centric than Fate, and are poor introductions to the franchise.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
It would take more than a new OP/ED and some remastering of the animation to salvage something decent out of it. It was a mediocre, badly-paced adaption of the poorest of the visual novel's three story arcs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ferian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
zero_chance wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

The anime translated the story just fine.

It's just that the visual novel contains three entirely different story paths that are virtually irreconcilable (while the characters and their backstories are the same, the story events are completely different). So while the other two story paths might be a bit more interesting, they're even more character-centric than Fate, and are poor introductions to the franchise.

The anime tried to do/say too much and failed miserably. While it added some content from UBW and HF to try and tie the loose ends, it shallowed the story and characters, thus failing to convey the Fate route properly.
I would agree on the latter part, though. UBW and HF would be... hard to understand.

@jenthehen: I liked the anime but lowered my vote after playing the VN. Highly recommended, esp. if you prefer Rin. Wink
Ferian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
It would take more than a new OP/ED and some remastering of the animation to salvage something decent out of it. It was a mediocre, badly-paced adaption of the poorest of the visual novel's three story arcs.

They can throw out all material unrelated to Fate. That would make it better. Although, unless they add some scenes to properly explain the setting, it will remain sub-par.
Also, I disagree about Fate being the poorest. The three routes are equals and neither can stand without the other two but Fate had the most polished story of the three and that is worth praise.
halo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least they're redoing the one part of the game-to-anime adaptation that really disappointed me the most... the opening theme. They need to just drop "disillusion" altogether and just reuse the kick-ass game opening theme "THIS ILLUSION".
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I would really like for someone to explain to me why Fate/Stay Night is so popular. WHY are there 800000 Saber figures? Why does everyone rave about how good this show is?

Because Saber is our goddess!
... won't answer the rest since it already was.

jenthehen wrote:
Overall, I just hated and did not care about the characters. It's such a poorly executed series, that I don't see the appeal. (Now, the visual novel / game may have been awesome, but I have no experience with it).

Wow, why are you even reading the news about Fate/stay if you dislike this series this much?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3