• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Festival Asia 2009

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, if I got off a plane and saw that much Hello Kitty I would really be questioning what they put in the airline food.
animexkittie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
So Singapore is pretty much like Southeast Texas?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
animexkittie wrote:
So Singapore is pretty much like Southeast Texas?

Except there's no BBQ and nobody is fat. Some of the people here make J-pop stars look clinically obese.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Power outlets are the gigantic 240v ones they use in the UK.

They're not that big! We just like sturdy earth pins.
Singapore is one of the cities about which I have a certain whimsical curiosity. (For some reason, I have a similar feeling about Frankfurt and Taipei.) It looks a fascinating place, especially due to its skyline and cuisine. I like to think that isn't as strict as 4chan my primary source for travel information occasionally reports.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(However, I won't pretend that I wasn't a little unnerved that a law required the airline to remind us -- twice -- that the punishment for bringing illegal drugs into the country was a MANDATORY DEATH SENTENCE.)

Shocked Say whaaaaat!? Are you $%#@ing me!? They will KILL someone, anyone who brings in illegal drugs!? I normally carry around something in case of headaches, but with a law that strict I wouldn't even take a chance with that.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, Singapore is a nice city. A few mates of mine got arrested there for carrying around parangs (knifes) in the street when drunk. Good times, good times.

I love South East Asia. Spending three weeks in a rainforest will do that to you. It was surprisingly westernized in the islands. Being able to get Marmite 80km from civilisation was quite an achievement yet these areas still had a better anime and manga market than the UK. Grrrr. Laughing
gordok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(However, I won't pretend that I wasn't a little unnerved that a law required the airline to remind us -- twice -- that the punishment for bringing illegal drugs into the country was a MANDATORY DEATH SENTENCE.)

That's the sort of thing you do want reminded of twice. Razz
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the punishment for bringing illegal drugs into the country was a MANDATORY DEATH SENTENCE.

Yeah I was a little shocked about that myself when a friend of mine told me about that a few years ago. Singapore sounds like an interesting place although it sounds like it's slowly going out of date.

Definitely looking forward to future posts, have fun at the con!
Vampire Reverse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
And as a Singaporean myself, this post was a job well done. Yeah, it's hot all year around, but it's this time of the month where there will be random thunderstorms here and there, just so you know. Not so sure if I'll be attending the convention during the weekends...

You haven't seen the last of the weirdness yet. Wait till you go exploring my little country and find out things you never knew.

And yeah, Singapore is such a FINE country. (If you catch the pun, good for you.)
Vampire Reverse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Quote:

Shocked Say whaaaaat!? Are you $%#@ing me!? They will KILL someone, anyone who brings in illegal drugs!? I normally carry around something in case of headaches, but with a law that strict I wouldn't even take a chance with that.

Yeah, drugs like heroin and stuff like that. Singapore's laws are pretty strict, unfortunately. You just have to go with the rules. Confused
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Singapore is a FINE city Wink
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
thanks to a pretty swanky airline (EVA Air boasts the best airline food I've ever had)

Either they've changed a lot in the past decade, or you took its Elite Class (in 777) / Evergreen Deluxe Class (in 747 Combi) instead of their economy class (unlike most airliners, EVA Air has a proprietary 4-class cabin system). Even today EVA's economy class on 747 has no personal LCD TV yet; food is not awful but well below average, and hostesses ain't pretty.

Justin Sevakis wrote:
There was also a big area dedicated to showing off these orchids. I didn't have the heart to tell them that they can be found at every Costco in America.

I'm no orchid expert but some species can be auctioned at tens of thousand US Dollars a piece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kureshii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Spot-on article Justin, you just had me at "Antiquated electronics are everywhere -- computers all seem at least 5 years old, and I've yet to even see a flat-panel TV or a CFM light bulb". They're around, just in other parts of the island I guess.

And if you've been to one mall, you've probably been to all the rest (retail-wise).

Don't worry about having only a day to see the city; it's not a big city, and you will probably be able to cover most of it Wink
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
Good article, Justin; had me cracking up at some points. The bit about "severe penalties for drug offenders", as the warning on Singapore Airlines goes, reminded me of the many times I've heard that and thought: ah, it's good to be home. Laughing

Having said that...

dizzon wrote:

Unless your painkiller of choice is heroin, you'd be fine. Razz

Quote:
Antiquated electronics are everywhere -- computers all seem at least 5 years old, and I've yet to even see a flat-panel TV or a CFM light bulb.

Eh... there was nothing in that mall you went to Confused ? Consumer electronics are (mostly) very up-to-date here, and I'd be shocked if there wasn't an electronics retail outlet of some kind where you went; if you want definitive proof, I suggest you check out Sim Lim Square, which is a nexus for that kind of thing.

Although, there is definitely a stark technological contrast between Singapore's fully urban areas and some of the outlying suburban ones. The latter is also where much of the best (local) food tends to be, which you can find if you look around a little. Now if you just want a plain bizarre snack, I suggest you check out the city's one-and-only Dunkin' Doughnuts in the mall called ION Orchard, which alongside the typical DD fare offers such creations as the "Wasabe Cheese" doughnut; I haven't been of the mind to try it yet (the normal doughnuts aren't as good, by the way Sad ).
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Quote:

It's a legacy of British colonialism. Opium was a key element of Britain's imperial strategy in Asia and a number of the post-colonial states have thus taken an understandably dim view of illicit drugs. The PRC is another place where it's a bad idea to procure or transport drugs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5