• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sex Pistols/Love Pistols Boys-Love Manga Returns

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh this excites me. I have been waiting for her to continue. Wonder if the whole Biblos/Libre issue had anything to do with her stopping this series midway?

But I am just glad to see a continuation of the story.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
This makes me unnaturally happy.
PirateKitty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
This is very exciting.
I was worried that it would end up one of those series that was on an eternal hiatus but I guess my fears were unfounded. Very Happy
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't have anything to do with the Biblos bankruptcy. Libre already put a couple of chapters out last year. The mangaka is just uncommonly slow and does a new chapter pretty much when she feels like it.

A friend who knows the series better than I asked me to amend this with the information that the mangaka was in the hospital for a while in late 2007, and after she slowly resumed drawing the series her character designs were notably different. There have been three chapters released in 2007 and 2008.
everapril

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Stoked on this! I love how different this series is. I always thought it'd make for crazy anime adaption. I just hope they keep some of the energy that the manga has!
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the chorus of excited folks clamoring for more Sex Pistols. I did wonder why the main story was left sorta hanging at volume 5 since it didn't seem like the mangaka was anywhere close to running out of ideas for her expanding universe of characters. I'm glad she's (apparently) feeling well enough to pick up where she left off.
sunflower wrote:
after she slowly resumed drawing the series her character designs were notably different.
The question is, for better or worse? I did look at the sample pages and only recognized the 2 "dad" characters. Does anyone know if those others guys are new characters or are they supposed to be established ones?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Everytime I see a news blog on here related to the Sex Pistols/Love Pistols manga/OVA, I almost always think it's about the British punk rock band The Sex Pistols. Rolling Eyes

So, is Love Pistols a good shonen ai? I'm interested in reading gay and lesbain-oriented manga, or shonen ai or shojo ai, but I have a hard time finding good ones because most of them end up being fetishized, wish-fulfilment stories. Is Love Pistols any good? Is it different from the shonen ai that makes yaoi fangirls squeal?
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
So, is Love Pistols a good shonen ai? I'm interested in reading gay and lesbain-oriented manga, or shonen ai or shojo ai, but I have a hard time finding good ones because most of them end up being fetishized, wish-fulfilment stories. Is Love Pistols any good? Is it different from the shonen ai that makes yaoi fangirls squeal?
Hmmm... If I were to recommend something to someone new to BL I really don't think I'd start with Sex Pistols. It's pretty, uh, out there (alternative evolution, male-male and female-female pregnancies). Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it but I'm one of the fangirls (though the non-squealing type, thanks). I'd recommend something a bit "softer" like maybe:

Yukine Honami's 3-volume Rin! (with story by Satoru Kannagi) about a boy developing feelings for his archery club sempai;

Just about anything by Fumi Yoshinaga, but especially Gerard & Jacques, 2 volumes, about a young former noble hired on by a writer in the years leading up to the French Revolution; or Ichigenme... The First Class Is Civil Law, also 2 volumes, about a serious law student's relationship with his seemingly happy-go-lucky classmate; also Antique Bakery, though that's not really BL-- one of the characters is gay but the only actual BL happens in the author's own doujinshi for the series;

Satosumi Takaguchi's 5-volume Shout Out Loud! about a seiyuu who is coping with both a strained relationship with a teenage son he didn't know about until recently, and his budding, possibly mutual attraction with a fellow seiyuu;

The main story in Akira Honma's The Last Portrait, about a frustrated young artist falling for his sister's fiance (though as a DramaQueen title it's unfortunately harder to find nowadays);

And last but not least, I'm also particularly a fan of Shungiku Nakamura's single-volume Hybrid Child, which is much less fanservicey than her Junjou Romantica series and consists of three separate but ultimately related stories (they take place in the same universe and share some characters) involving a life-like android (a "hybrid child") that develops & matures in direct proportion to the love bestowed upon it-- sounds a bit creepy, yes, but it's not in the context of these stories, trust me-- it actually managed to make me cry twice, for different reasons.

Hope that was somewhat helpful, at least for the BL side of things. I'm sure others in here will have their own gems to recommend, should they feel up to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ramiku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
It doesn't have anything to do with the Biblos bankruptcy. Libre already put a couple of chapters out last year. The mangaka is just uncommonly slow and does a new chapter pretty much when she feels like it.

A friend who knows the series better than I asked me to amend this with the information that the mangaka was in the hospital for a while in late 2007, and after she slowly resumed drawing the series her character designs were notably different. There have been three chapters released in 2007 and 2008.

Reallyy??????
Have you read all those chapters?????
What number of chapters are those?
Where did you read it?
Why did the mangaka go to hospital?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1