• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MangaGamer Adds Koihime†Musō, More Da Capo Games

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I really don't care for Koihime Musou regardless of how well it did back in 2007, but really glad to see more Da Capo games, especially Da Capo I.F. (~Kotori <3)
Kyjin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd be more excited about the titles if the prices were more reasonable. 50 euros for a game is almost $75 US. Not a price I can justify.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly just looking forward to Koihime Musou myself, since the original game looks sooo much better than the low-budget anime.

Kyjin wrote:
I think I'd be more excited about the titles if the prices were more reasonable. 50 euros for a game is almost $75 US. Not a price I can justify.

Compared to the games original prices in Japanese ($90-$110), it's a bargain.

Otakuism is an expensive hobby.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
This news was already released a few months back...
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
This news was already released a few months back...

MangaGamer did announce its release of Higurashi: When They Cry at Anime Expo in July, but the other titles were not announced then. Also, MangaGamer had to post a new release date in this news update for Higurashi: When They Cry.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This article is misleading.
Most of the dates mentioned are tentative at best, with the exception of Soul Link and the first half of Higurashi's which are confirmed so long as Evospace slaves away at editing like a proper little editor. DCII I know is a *very* rough estimate because they're waiting on Circus to redo the game engine for the English release, a.k.a. don't be surprised if it is pushed back.

D.C.I.F. also marks the beginning of an all-ages side of the company in conjunction with their 18+ titles. Kira Kira is also going to be available for the iphone at some point (all ages version).

Something for the rumor mill: they are considering physical media, as well as opening an online store to start selling character goods and other merchandise associated with these franchises becasue only selling at conventions is sad and depressing if it isn't Anime Expo. Also looking at digital distro for manga related to their IPs.

Regarding prices, their first few game were severely overpriced, but they were also testing the market to see what is "acceptable".
Shuffle was going for 35 euros and that marked the beginning of their more reasonable prices. I vague remember hearing the first 4 Higurashi chapters are going to sell for 30 euros (either combined price or 30 for all 4 chapters, something like that), and subsequent chapters are going for around 15 or 20 euros each. I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head so just consider those rumors.

Higurashi was delayed a bit because they overestimated how much translating/editing had to be done.

Last edited by DarkHunter6523 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
What? They're download only? Sad
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
What? They're download only? Sad

"Download only" means almost no overhead per item. Keep in mind that the company is still very much in the red and the only reason they are not floundering is because most of the companies who's games they are selling are shareholders in Manga Gamers, so licensing is more about paperwork than prices.
Koji98

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
Keep in mind that the company is still very much in the red . . .

They have this kind of info available? Where can I get a copy?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
This article is misleading.
Most of the dates mentioned are tentative at best

That's why the dates are listed as "slated" and other qualifying terms.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
D.C.I.F. also marks the beginning of an all-ages side of the company in conjunction with their 18+ titles. Kira Kira is also going to be available for the iphone at some point (all ages version).

What's interesting is Da Capo I.F. was released on the PS2 and never on the PC. Does this possibly mean that they'll release this on the PS2?!? or will they port it to a PC game?
At this point, what I really want to see picked up are minori's games (which will probably never happen) and if we're lucky, begin to bring over some more titles that were released on the consoles only (e.g. Da Capo 4 Seasons, Chaos Head Noah, White Album remake etc...)
iathomps

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Koji98 wrote:
DarkHunter6523 wrote:

It was mentioned at the Anime Expo 2009 panel.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Koji98 wrote:
DarkHunter6523 wrote:

If it's a publically traded US company you they have to make their financial standings available to the public on a quarterly basis. Most non-3rd world countries and countries not under a super strict dictatorship have similar laws as well.
TJR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

What's interesting is Da Capo I.F. was released on the PS2 and never on the PC. Does this possibly mean that they'll release this on the PS2?!? or will they port it to a PC game?

A PC port has already been announced for the Japanese market, so it'll probably be based on that.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I'm mostly just looking forward to Koihime Musou myself, since the original game looks sooo much better than the low-budget anime.

But the implied lesbianism and the removal of the male protagonist makes it more fun! Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2