• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd 20th Century Boys Film DVD to Add Unseen Epilogue

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jqsilver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I saw this in SF, and it already had about 11 minutes of story after the credits. It's funny that there'll be even more, but it makes sense. Epic stories like this never really end Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Have they wrapped it up without a need for a 21st Century Boys movie?

I've seen the first two, I can hardly wait to see the third.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Have they wrapped it up without a need for a 21st Century Boys movie?

I've seen the first two, I can hardly wait to see the third.

21st Century Boys is basically just the last two volumes of 20th Century Boys. I'm not sure why there was a title change involved, but the story really does continue without pause from one to the other. You couldn't actually end 20th Century Boys without using 21st Century Boys. I take it you haven't read that far? Kudos for being patient and waiting for the legal release and not going insane and reading the whole thing in one week the way I did the first time through (I have been buying them since, though).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, no kudos to me, I read it all a while back. I just wonder how the third movie is ending.

I am, however, buying Viz's releases. And I plan to get the movies when they come out here on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
I have the first 5 volumes but I haven't started reading them yet. I'm trying to wait until I get a decent amount. It'll be my first time reading and I get the feeling its something I'd want to read (or need to read) consecutively. I really wanna check out the movie though but I'm trying to hold out until I've read the entire manga first. It just feels like it's gonna take forever.
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
I read a good amount of 20th Century Boys online, and I just know this is one of those series I'd love enough to buy. I tried going through several chapters a day, but quickly gave up on that due to lack of time. I really want to see the movie as well, but it's going to be a LONG time before that happens.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
Not going to be long at all, unless you purposely don't watch the trilogy.

First movie hits December 15 according to Rightstuf.
Second movie hits February 16.
Third movie will probably be around April.

So not too long at all till we can all see the trilogy ^^
Seca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
I'm so excited to hear this news. I got to see the final movie in theaters here in Japan and loved it, though I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the final chapters adapted, but it looks like the DVD version fixes that.

For those curious I can say without getting too much into spoilers the ending of the movie is a very streamlined version (really only following one of the plot lines) of 21st Century Boys with a part at the end added onto it, which makes the very final scene end with a bit more closure than in the manga. I think it worked very well when I saw it with the other changes to the story that had made in the film.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not going to be long at all, unless you purposely don't watch the trilogy.

First movie hits December 15 according to Rightstuf.
Second movie hits February 16.
Third movie will probably be around April.

So not too long at all till we can all see the trilogy ^^

That's a bit of a problem, though - they'll be nowhere near finishing the manga by April (going at the current rate, they'll be at about volume 8 or 9 out of 24), and from the few things I've heard, the movies can be hard to follow without having read the manga. Plus, spoilers much? I mean, I saw the start of the first movie, and it begins already spoiler[after Friend has risen to power, which was one of the biggest WHAM revelations in manga for me. My heart almost stopped at the end of volume 5, whereas in the movie it would seem you have an inkling from the beginning of what happens.]
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I so wish I had not watched the first two movies about a month ago, because I am fining for the 3rd!!! This is really good story telling and I kind of like the girl in the 2nd movie Wink Can't wait till Feb.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Plus, spoilers much? I mean, I saw the start of the first movie, and it begins already spoiler[after Friend has risen to power, which was one of the biggest WHAM revelations in manga for me. My heart almost stopped at the end of volume 5, whereas in the movie it would seem you have an inkling from the beginning of what happens.]

What exactly are you talking about? I mean isn't it in the very first chapter of the manga that (don't even know why I'm "spolier"ing this) spoiler[Friend is welcomed at the United Nations as the man who saved the world and who will now lead the Earth into a new era or prosperity, or whatever... (yada, yada)] Then it flashes back to the beginning to show how that all came about. The entire timeline of the manga is super disjointed, sometimes with multiple year changes per chaper. (Now it's 1997, now it's 1979, now it's 1999, WTF??!!!)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I like the time changes.

I also think the movies cast the kid versions of the characters perfectly, especially Yoshitsune. The kid Yoshitsune is the spitting image of the version in the manga.

(Sort of makes me feel bad for him.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1