• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion: 2.0 You Can [Not] Advance

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for this to be out on DVD. None of the local filmfests seem to have this. Last year Cinemanila had Eva 1.0 (but I missed it).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gone is the hysterical self-loathing, the naval-gazing, the relentless self-defeat in even its narrative structure, and most of the confusing and problematic Judeo-Christian symbolism.
Aw, what? No more looking at ships? Wink

Anyway, this sounds like a really good movie. As someone who still likes the original TV series after 3 viewings, it sounds like 2.0 lessens or eliminates most of the flaws in the original that people bring up. And while I'd heard 2.0 was going to be different, it seems like the "retread" aspects are all but gone.
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Saw the sub earlier, and cannot agree more with the review. Eva 2.0 is a vast improvement over the others. Granted, the characters are still pretty messed up, but the fact that this time around they are at least trying to connect with each other is refreshing. And because of that bit of light, the darkness that appears towards the end is all the more devestating.

Can't wait to see how the dub version handles it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
I've heard mixed things. From what I've seen, it looks pretty exciting, though. I do hope it gets a R1 DVD release sometime next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsieczka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
I saw it at the Waterloo Festival for Animated Cinema, but I have to re-watch it to come up with a real feel for the film. It was shown on day 3 after Mary and Max, First Squad: the Moment of Truth, Brendan and the Secret of Kells. After those three it was hard for me to get exited about any of the other films.

That said I'm glad that it was not another retread like the first movie was. The movies after this one are like Justin said pointing out flaws in the show which were common. The characters have become far more real and in turn makes the plot that much more gripping then it was. If the thrid movie lives up to the second one, then this will be the eva series and hopefully they will let the franchise rest, it will be hard to make the series better then what I saw.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Really?! EVA without the elements that shot it through the foot and made it unbearable? Hooray! I hope...

Yeah, EVA always made me sad for what an incredible wealth of potential it had that appeared to get shot all to hell in the last third of the show...over...and over. That's why it always bothered me. Not because it was bad, but because it was good, crammed with elements of absolute horridness on a technical, narrative, and...I daresay even a philosophical level. It was contradictory and laughable sometimes.

So if the movies remedy those problems...ohmahgosh...I will be an extremely happy clam and watch them to my heart's content. Very Happy I can only hope, anyway.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Never saw the original EVA series. I will miss out on being able to compare and contrast. However, it will be fun experiencing what seems to be a excellent series for the first time. Thats the nice part of being new to Anime.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
I can almost feel the joy of this epic movie even though I haven't see it yet! Great writing! I still like original TV series but movies promise to be even more than that. Looking forward to it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In doing so, it reveals flaws in the original that likely never occured to the viewer initially,

You should narrow it down to viewers who were willing to buy into Anno's bullshit. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
He is clearly a more mature man now,

Does he also apologize for being a dick to fans who didn't like how he finished the original show, too? Wink

Anyway, I'm really surprised you're admitting the original series had issues, Justin, because you had a personal interest in defending it all these years. And, even if I don't entirely agree with it, I respect your opinion more than those pretentious f**k-wits who use the "You just don't get it!" meme as the catch-all excuse for why I didn't like the original, but should, anyway. So I might actually give this one a shot, if it hits U.S. theaters, because Brian Ruh also endorsed it.

I wonder, though. Could it be that Anno doesn't like being viewed as less high-brow and mature than his wife and the FLCL guy? And that this whole project was really an excuse to prove he wasn't just the lucky hikikomori who nabbed the golden ticket?

Anyway, I'm just surprised that the die-hards on here are finally starting to admit the original show and the first two movies were flawed, because they used to defend that sucker to their last breath.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
I just wish these films could go into wider release for one day like Bandai did with some recent titles, those Fathom Events.

I am excited, hope the DVD hits the market soon so I can see it on the big TV when I'm home.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
Justin, first off, you are so lucky to have gotten to see 2.0.
Secondly, the promise of this movie having the same kind of shock, and emotional punch of episode 22, and EoE has got me very excited. I think episode 22 was the moment where Evangelion had firmly cemented in itself in my mind as being my absolute favourite of anything that I had ever seen.
Thirdly, I can't wait for movie Asuka.
Fourthly, your review has increased my excitement to see this movie even more.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Jesus... Sounds revolutionary!!!!!

Anno, and Gainax in general, NEVER cease to amaze me...

If Eva 2.0 is HALF as good, as Justin elaborately described it to be, then, Lord Almighty, Funi should license and dub ASAP!!!

Wonder how Tiffany will handle a soft-hearted, more affecting Asuka!

Spike Spencer was born to be Shinji, and... I JUST CAN'T WAIT!!!

If anything, Justin is 100% about 1 thing: It'll be one HELL of a wait!!!
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to see this movie. But a lot of the spoilers I read on it already has me in a bad mood over what happens. Still though, I wanna see it bad.

Otaking09 wrote:
Wonder how Tiffany will handle a soft-hearted, more affecting Asuka!

Assuming Funimation will even cast her in the role, which I certainly hope they do. Replacing Rei's VA is one thing, the girl hardly talks. But I can't imagine any other English actor playing Asuka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TurboWasis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
I got to see this at the Waterloo Festival for Animated Cinema over the weekend too on a glorious 35mm print and I was completely blown away. I enjoyed the first movie but I absolutely love this second movie. The fight scenes are exciting, the animation is wonderful and the amount of destruction to Tokyo III is pretty shocking. In comparison to the TV series the movie is really cheerful. The changes in Rei and Asuka are both surprising and refreshing and I've never seen Shinji smile so much. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call this a happy movie. Lots of bad and unhappy things happen but it never feels like the characters have fallen into a pit of despair.

I could not agree with this review more. As soon as I saw Shinji's DAT skip to track 27 I knew that everything I knew about Eva was probably about to change. That's exactly how the rest of the movie plays out. A scene starts out familiar and just when you think you know where it's headed it suddenly changes course and you end up in a brand new place. It's actually very exciting and I really want to see it again. I can't wait to see where the next two movies are headed. The wait is going to be torture.

Thank you WFAC for bringing us Evangelion movies two years in a row. Best festival EVER!
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
I had no interest in the Eva films when the first one was released, but I realize now that I should. Gundam, Ideon, Macross, Macross Plus...all these series were much better in movie form, just for having the chance to correct mistakes from the first time 'round. And Eva certainly didn't lack those!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5