• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How long does it typically take you to read manga?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I rented the book Manga! Manga! by Frederick Schodt from my university library and I was reading it just for fun at the library when this one paragraph really caught my eye:
Quote:
In order to digest such a mass of comics, the Japanese have to be fast readers. According to an editor of Kodansha's Shonen Magazine...on average it takes the reader twenty minutes to finish a 320-page comic magazine. A quick calculation yields a breakdown of 16 pages a minute or 3.75 seconds spent on each page. How is this possible? The answer lies not just in the structure of the Japanese narrative comic but in the reading skills that new generations of Japanese have developed.

Now I don't know about you, but it usually seems to take me a good 40 minutes to read a 180-page manga (usually less time for shonen manga though, 20-30 minutes for those usually).
However, I also saw my friend read the same volume of Please Save My Earth in what took me 45 minutes in about 20 minutes, and in some cases, it can vary by volume in a series for me. It always takes me 45-50 minutes to read the first volume of Banana Fish, but then with subsequent volumes, it usually takes me between 15-25 minutes to read those for some strange reason (I should know, I've read it through 3 times with the same time results every time).
Another manga that I think it takes me abnormally long to read is Cromartie High School, I feel like those just take me hours, somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour and half. Meanwhile, I'll read a volume of DBZ in about 10 minutes (for the time price of a single episode of the anime, I can do the theoretical progress of almost 10 episodes if not more).
Most of the Tezuka stuff actually takes me ages to read too, varies with series and volume size, of course.

So, how about you, how long does it take you to read manga? Either in general or just certain series, etc.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Usually takes me about 40 minutes as well. Just depends on how much I have on my mind. Sometimes my thoughts wander when I read.

Craziest manga reading ability I've ever witnessed was when a friend of mine blew through all of Peach Girl in a few hours.
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
It would depend for me on the level of artistry. When i'm reading something like Berserk or Vagabond, i tend to take an hour per book the first time and a little less the second time around. For regular manga I could blow through it in under 25 minutes if i'm either bored or really excited to see what happens. This tends to be the case more for shonens.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
half hour at the least for any type of manga. The longest it takes me is a hour and thats for series like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei which have a lot of text both on the page and the translation guides.

Most of the time the weekly manga series take me a good 10 mins a chapter, at least a half hour a volume.

Monthly releases take me a good 20 mins a chapter with the volumes of said series taking at least 45mins.
TheSparLynx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
30 min to thoroughly read and understand what I've read.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
15-40 minutes, depending on the amount of text. In a manga like Saint Seiya or Bleach there isn't a whole lot to read, while something like Death Note has big walls of text.

Actually, I remembered that bit of info from Manga! Manga! while reading Bleach and I timed myself. My avarage was 4 seconds per page. The things you do when you're bored...
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
Very rarely do I sit down and read an entire volume of a manga in one go. When I do, it usually takes about an hour, though.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
It really depends on the mangaka, I've found. There are some out there whose work I can read a lot faster than others. But generally it takes me about 45 minutes on average to read one volume, I would say. 30 minutes when I'm re-reading it.
KKira

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Depends really, it took me one night to read all of Elfen Lied and a couple of hours to read Kurozuka. Maybe between 15-20 minutes to read a whole volume?
fabarati

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
I read fairly quick, actually. 10-15 minutes, generally, thought some has taken as long as 20 minutes.

It took me about 3-3½ hours to finish Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (14 volumes).
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
fabarati wrote:
I read fairly quick, actually. 10-15 minutes, generally, thought some has taken as long as 20 minutes.

It took me about 3-3½ hours to finish Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (14 volumes).

Jeez! Laughing

For me usually 25 - 30 minutes, except for Negima! which takes me up to an hour with all that text, especially the tiny Mad text.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on what I'm reading. If it's something like Naruto or Bleach, I can easily fly through through those in 20 minutes or less, but if it's something like Death Note or Monster then it usually takes me 30-60 minutes a volume.
timesteel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
it really depends on the book like how many pages there are and how much dialogue is on each page i was pretty amazed that i managed to read the 6th akira book in a little under and hour and its like 420 pages long and it took me 2 hours to read the 4th one which is only 399 pages long
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Not too long unfortunately. Im generally a fast reader.
Reading a book thats mostly pictures, doesnt help. So ill read one volume in a few minutes, then reread it to soak up the details fully.

a whole collection? hmm. never tried that, so I couldnt say. Though reading a Shonen jump never took too long. Though I usually try to tke my time when reading Manga.
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I can get through fma in about 30 minutes and sj in 45 minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3