• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 11 Arrested in Japan for Uploading via Share Program

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lothar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Nice to know dangerous file uploaders are off the streets and in jail where they belong. Obviously Japan has no violent crime if this is how the police are spending their time. Now if they can book those renegade jaywalkers, the country will be paradise.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
That's sad. Someone got arrested for uploading $16 worth of music tracks prob.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
I think I'll wait for further details regarding what their punishment is instead of jumping to any conclusion.

When it comes to the people actually uploading the stuff I have significantly less sympathy. I certainly hope their punishment isn't something unreasonable. If it's just a small fine though then I've got no problem with this.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they caught the bootlegers, but I'm also quite surprised there were no woman bootleggers on the list......just males.
How very odd indeed....
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Most people now use Perfect Dark rather than Share.
Most uploads originate there, then some randon person spreads then to Share.
What I'm saying is they haven't really achieved much here, as if they want to do anything meaningful, they need to be going after the root of the cause, the original uploaders on Perfect Dark, not the random users trying to make a name for themselves by spreading them to an outdated P2P program.
And like the original poster said, they'd be much better off spending their time on other areas of law breaking, rather than people uploading TV captures to the internet. Perhaps instead they should just do free streams and solve that problem?
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Tip of the iceberg, won't solve anything, etc.

Arrested, but I'll be interested in seeing what the sentences are. Especially for the guy with only 8 music tracks, poor bloke.

Maybe a slight deterrent, but not much more. People will still upload and pirate. That's just the way the internet is. Many alternative programs as well. Not surprised by the news, but I don't think it will do anything to help, either.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
First it was the raws sites, now they are going after those who still put up raws and scanlations. Over 80% of all P2P traffic is in Asia for anime and manga. Less than 20% is for anime and manga outside Asia. Primarily all legal streaming outside Asia. Asia is the last place to clean up for piracy now.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan's Copyright Law prohibits unauthorized uploaders but expressly allows people to download for private use. The Japanese government is pushing for a ban on unauthorized downloads as well, despite receiving thousands of messages from citizens opposing the ban.

I thought some bill had recently been passed that would criminalize unauthorized downloading in Japan, as well.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
Nice to know dangerous file uploaders are off the streets and in jail where they belong. Obviously Japan has no violent crime if this is how the police are spending their time. Now if they can book those renegade jaywalkers, the country will be paradise.

lol Laughing Laughing
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
All of these older males should have the money to buy some of the anime or music.
Lothar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
All of these older males should have the money to buy some of the anime or music.

ANN Article wrote:
8. 57-year-old unemployed male from Komatsushima (unspecified television anime)
9. 40-year-old unemployed male from Okayama (Dragon Ball Kai, Fresh Precure!, Fullmetal Alchemist)

Replace "all" with "some".

EDIT: To the strict copyright types on this board, would you support legal changes that would exempt people from fines/imprisonment for copyright infringement if they made below a certain income? I propose this under the "no blood squeezed from a turnip" rule.

Last edited by Lothar on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:

ANN Article wrote:
8. 57-year-old unemployed male from Komatsushima (unspecified television anime)
9. 40-year-old unemployed male from Okayama (Dragon Ball Kai, Fresh Precure!, Fullmetal Alchemist)

Replace "all" with "some".
Lol, that explains the downloading.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Quote:
Japan's Copyright Law prohibits unauthorized uploaders but expressly allows people to download for private use. The Japanese government is pushing for a ban on unauthorized downloads as well, despite receiving thousands of messages from citizens opposing the ban.

I thought some bill had recently been passed that would criminalize unauthorized downloading in Japan, as well.

That bill starts on January 1st, so I suspect there will be a surge of downloading in Japan while people can still do it without any repurcussion.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
They broke the law and got caught. Could happen to anyone who engages in illegal activity. Hey, I wish them the best but I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. Hopefully this will dissuade a couple thousand people (a drop in the bucket) in Japan from causally and mindlessly downloading and sharing illegal content. If not, maybe they will get arrested some day. Either way, assuming there is clear evidence to prove they did these things, we really can't feel sorry for these guys. Though I am sure some will anyway, in their own self righteous smug nasally na-na sort of way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
While I applaud them for finally get tough on illegal file shareing (took them long enough) and such, I'm not sure arresting these people is the best way to handle it. While I am apposed to illegaly uploading/downloading anime and stuff, I don't think people who do it should be punished like this. I think a fine more then covers it. No one should have to do jail time for crimes like this. I do agree we need to put a stop to the uploading of raws, for many reasons, but I sort of doubt this is the best way to go about it. But hey if it works that's great. I sort of doubt it will though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9