• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vexille, Kanon, Spice & Wolf Posted in English Online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Kanon = Epic Victory... Spice and Wolf = Still boring as hell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I love Funi and all but I wish they hadn't suddenly decided to region block the UK for all of their videos :/
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy Spice and Wolf was dubbed ... just watched the first episode. The VA's are great Smile
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
I love Funi and all but I wish they hadn't suddenly decided to region block the UK for all of their videos :/

They're not allowed to NOT block the UK. They only have distribution rights for America.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Funimation, I love you. I'd love you even more if you'd license some shows I want to be (this isn't the place to list them), but I love you all the same.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Yorozuya wrote:

They're not allowed to NOT block the UK. They only have distribution rights for America.

But they have steaming rights for the UK for some of them. We have some of the stuff on the youtube channel but no access to the videos on their site (even when they do have rights).
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking the Spice and Wolf dub
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

Ditto that, I enjoyed the subs too, but I couldn't understand everything about the economics so the English dub makes it easier for me to understand that aspect of the show too. Kanon might be something I'd like. Gonna check it out.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

Ditto that, I enjoyed the subs too, but I couldn't understand everything about the economics so the English dub makes it easier for me to understand that aspect of the show too..

Word. Yeah, I scrubbed through the first episode and the casting and acting sound very nice. S&W is a weird show for me. Something about it makes me want to like it a lot (maybe 'cause I want to be a wolf-goddess when I grow up..? :p ) but in the end, I couldn't find myself able to recommend it. But maybe the dub would make it easier to wrap my head around the economic aspect of the show. Either way, very nice effort on the dub. Horo/Holo sounds regal and old fashioned without it sounding forced or cartoony, which I could see happening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

Ditto that, I enjoyed the subs too, but I couldn't understand everything about the economics so the English dub makes it easier for me to understand that aspect of the show too. Kanon might be something I'd like. Gonna check it out.

You should definitely check Kanon out. It's a GREAT show. I think it's the best of the "Key Visual Novel to Anime" genre (i.e. Kanon, Air, Clannad) ... Kanon starts out really slow, but stick with it. The slowness is to build character and foreshadow. I love that show so much <3
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Dub was okay, I'll be looking forward to see how they handle the rest of it. Some of the speech gaps were awkward (but with lip flap timing, not much can be helped there). They pretty much nailed Lawrence and the secondary village characters. They got Horo's air of superiority, but I'm not sure they got her playful coy side down pat quite yet, which is a huge part of her personality. I'll keep watching and probably buy it...I'm just not floored like I was by the Japanese track (so far!).

People not being able to understand the economics baffles me though, they explain it pretty darn thoroughly, and it's pretty exciting seeing them take risks, trade, exploit, and barter. I loved this series to death.

I'm still in the process of forgiving Funi for 'Holo' though. I guess when localized, the English say their names slower, and you don't want it coming off the tongue as 'Whore-o', but still. When the fanbase of a niche show has always called her by the other name, why would you alienate them all like that? Negatively impacting sales on an already niche show doesn't seem like great business sense. Should have taken a lesson from Lawrence.
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:
I'm still in the process of forgiving Funi for 'Holo' though. I guess when localized, the English say their names slower, and you don't want it coming off the tongue as 'Whore-o', but still. When the fanbase of a niche show has always called her by the other name, why would you alienate them all like that? Negatively impacting sales on an already niche show doesn't seem like great business sense. Should have taken a lesson from Lawrence.

Weren't they told by the Japanese to make it "Holo?" I like "Horo" better as well, but I somehow recall that name not being Funi's fault.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
loka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Weren't they told by the Japanese to make it "Holo?" I like "Horo" better as well, but I somehow recall that name not being Funi's fault.

Sure, in spelling. I don't think the Japanese told Funimation to pronounce it differently than they themselves did.
"No, don't pronounce the names as we have. Use this botched pronunciation instead."
I highly doubt it.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Jadress wrote:

Sure, in spelling. I don't think the Japanese told Funimation to pronounce it differently than they themselves did.
"No, don't pronounce the names as we have. Use this botched pronunciation instead."
I highly doubt it.

Only the English dub DIDN'T pronounce it differently, because the Japanese pronounce "R's" and "L's" are essentially the same ... so when they are saying "Horo" it actually sounds like "Holo" ... and if that's the spelling that the Japanese creators wanted, then "Holo" is correct (pronunciation and spelling). And it would sound ridiculous and awful for Americans to pronounce it "Horo" ... it WOULD sound like "Whore-o" because we use a much harder R sound. And if the VA's tried to pronounce it the same as the Japanese (with a Japanese accent/articulation), then it wouldn't flow with the English dialogue and would sound silly.

For example, it sounds silly in dubs when the English VA's pronounce the name "Karin" in the Japanese way - it's near impossible to know what the hell they are saying unless you KNOW. It is smarter to change it to our "Karen" because that is a recognizable name for us and flows better off the English speaking tongue.

I'm all for changing pronunciation to make it sound natural for English speakers and to not confuse those who aren't weabo fanboys dedicated to some arbitrary "pureness" in anime.

I don't hear any complaints about all the horrendous Engrish in anime ... I mean, have you guys listened to the ending song to Spice and Wolf? Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
I think Holo flows off the tongue worse because there are two ways to pronounce it. Ho low and hollow. As for Horo, yes it sounds like Whore-o, that is all. The Japanese probably picked the "L" in the name because they still confuse R's and L's, it is literally an interchangable letter to them, but that shouldn't mean the writing in English should be. There's hundreds of examples of the only problem in English in a Japanese show being a mixed up L or R, even this year. They haven't learned, they never will. They probably picked the L because it looks cooler or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2