• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo's Miyazaki, Hisaishi Nominated for Annie Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Um, Open Season 2 is considered a Best Animated DTV feature? Laughing But according to Keonyn, it's not their standards that are the problem as much my "bias". Rolling Eyes
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Just looking on the first page of their site - they have on the left hand side different levels of sponsors. "Gold, Silver, Bronze". Does that mean that those companies actually give the Annies money to host these year after year? If so, it doesn't seem fair if they're supporting them and Annie is in turn nominating the movies those companies are making - even if the companies aren't directly nominating their own movies. I don't know, just doesn't seem right. *shrug*
giascle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
At least he'll win something in the Annies. Sorry, but it doesn't look like Miyazaki is ever going to win an Oscar.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
At least he'll win something in the Annies. Sorry, but it doesn't look like Miyazaki is ever going to win an Oscar.

Um... you do know Spirited Away won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature in 2002, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The only awards Astro Boy deserves are Razzies. That movie was terrible.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
At least he'll win something in the Annies.

Considering the movie he directed wasn't nominated, I doubt he's going to win this year. The director nomination was probably just to show some respect to him even if they didn't feel Ponyo was worth nominating, with The Secret of Kells being the critical darling foreign animated film of choice this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this does put 'Ponyo's' chances of being nominated into question which is a bit of a shame. This has been an interesting and crowded year in animation so even with five slots 'Ponyo' may have hard time getting in though I definitely don't think that it's completely out of the question at this point.

And, Tenchi, I think it's very probable that there's more to Miyazaki's nomination than just 'respect'. 'Ponyo' was very well directed.

That said, I'm somewhat suprised that something as mediocre as 'B:TLV' got an Annie nomination.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The Annies are a joke.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Yes, this does put 'Ponyo's' chances of being nominated into question which is a bit of a shame. This has been an interesting and crowded year in animation so even with five slots 'Ponyo' may have hard time getting in though I definitely don't think that it's completely out of the question at this point.

And, Tenchi, I think it's very probable that there's more to Miyazaki's nomination than just 'respect'. 'Ponyo' was very well directed.

That said, I'm somewhat suprised that something as mediocre as 'B:TLV' got an Annie nomination.

I'd agree that it was out of respect. Those categories with "animation/animated" in their names Ponyo is nowhere to be found. All the directors had their respective feature nominated in the best animated feature category except Miyazaki. Those 2 are prob going to lose in their respective categories to Up anyways.

Of course, I pity whoever competes in the same year as Avatar.

Yippee, The Secret of Kells got a nomination.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Yes the Annies are a joke indeed. At least the Academy is a jury of their peers in the industry the Annies are voted by the sponsors. People like Katzenburge can go buy up all the votes.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Those judges are most likely not associated with the sponsors. They had to send in a resume for their position. It's a technical position imo.

Award shows aren't done on air. Someone's gotta give them the money to do it.

In the age of stop-motion, digital (computer) and 3D animation, Ponyo is a 2D relic imo. You have to be pretty amazing to get a nod with all the computer animation going on nowadays imo.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Yes the Annies are a joke indeed. At least the Academy is a jury of their peers in the industry the Annies are voted by the sponsors. People like Katzenburge can go buy up all the votes.

It's funny that you should bring up Katzenberg considering that he was responsible for restoring Disndey's fortune and reputation in late 80's and early 90's. As much as I hate quoting from Wikipedia this is one time I'll make an exception:

"As the studio head, Katzenberg was responsible for turning the studio around and creating some of the most critically acclaimed and highest grossing animated features that Disney released: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988), The Little Mermaid (1989), Beauty and the Beast (1991, the only animated feature to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture), Aladdin (1992), and The Lion King (1994). He also sealed the deal that created the highly successful partnership between Pixar and Disney and the deal that brought Miramax Films into Disney."

So know who you insult. The guy didn't buy anybody's votes and while "Kang-Fu Panda" did suprisingly well at last year's ceremony it was a film that was well liked, and quite a bit more so than, say, "Monsters Vs. Aliens" that didn't manage a top nod this year.

Also, 'Annies' are voted on by the people in the industry, most of whom comprise the branch that votes at the Oscars. You may find them to be a joke but the rest of the professionals consider them among the most prestigious awards in their industry and important precursors to the Academy Awards.

And as for Miyazaki's nod being out of respect only - whoever said that either hasn't seen the movie or has little idea what the nomination actually means. The kinds of splits between categories in which the film is nominated may seem inconsistent but they are not unusual. Being well known and respected certainly helps but I have little doubt that the people who voted for Miyazaki though he deserved it. It is a strong work and (make no mistake) well liked piece of work.

Quote:
Of course, I pity whoever competes in the same year as Avatar.

I will not even dignify this with a proper comment.

Quote:
In the age of stop-motion, digital (computer) and 3D animation, Ponyo is a 2D relic imo. You have to be pretty amazing to get a nod with all the computer animation going on nowadays imo.

It think it's too early to call Ponyo a relic. You are certainly right to say that 3D animation is getting increasingly prominent and is given more attention but it's hard to ignore that this year alone saw three major stop motion animation projects (I'm counting "Mary and Max") and two traditionally animated ones, including Disney's multi-nominated "The Princess and the Frog".
Bell02

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
There is a huge bias against Japanese and other Eastern Cartoons in American Cartoon industry, only now do I start to see more recognition, but it's always been a taboo that's been flat out denied in public but re-affirmed in private. (To even hostile degrees)

The fact that an Anime Title gets nominated really is an honor.
giascle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
giascle wrote:

Um... you do know Spirited Away won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature in 2002, right?

I thought it was only nominated. Must have been thinking of something else.
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, now I'm wondering if Kells will make it to the Oscars too...

Bell02 wrote:
There is a huge bias against Japanese and other Eastern Cartoons in American Cartoon industry, only now do I start to see more recognition, but it's always been a taboo that's been flat out denied in public but re-affirmed in private. (To even hostile degrees)

The fact that an Anime Title gets nominated really is an honor.

I dunno, the amount of American animation that's obviously influenced by anime kind of says otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1