• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation DVD Ranking, November 23-29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
BWAHAHAHA! SUCK IT, K-ON BLU-RAYS!!!
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

???

I don't get it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Nah, I rather suck on the delicious tears of certain NSFW blog site that got butthurt of another Haruhi Endless Eight DVD managing to sell at least 10,000 copies.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Bakemonogatari reigning supreme and showing the anime industry is still in-touch with quality titles unlike previously where the otaku moe-blob K-ON sat on the throne.
Also nice to see Gintama still selling over 10k DVD's, even on it's 41st DVD.
Apart from that, business as always.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Nice to see Bakemonogatari reigning supreme and showing the anime industry is still in-touch with quality titles unlike previously where the otaku moe-blob K-ON sat on the throne.

Translation: It's nice to see my anime series is selling well and I not anime series I don't like.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'll probably wait for the blu-ray rankings, but Umineko didn't even make it to the top DVD rankings. I wonder what fate it'll lie for any chance of a season 2. That didn't seem to make as much of a splash as Higurashi.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
Translation: It's nice to see my anime series is selling well and I not anime series I don't like.

No, more like, it's nice to see Anime I think are good doing well, and not the series I think are crap. That's what vulcanraven01 was really saying. And I agree with them. Bakemonogatari is the second-best Anime show this year, in my opinion. It deserves to trounce K-ON, which it arguably is doing.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'll probably wait for the blu-ray rankings, but Umineko didn't even make it to the top DVD rankings. I wonder what fate it'll lie for any chance of a season 2. That didn't seem to make as much of a splash as Higurashi.

Volume 1 of Umineko made about 1k (copy's sold, not how much they made) for DVD sales in it's first week.( I have no idea about Blue ray I think it was around the same) Or so I heard, keep in mind the first two episodes where boring as all hell.

* Keep in mind I have no idea if the sales numbers are true, I was told all the anime numbers by a highly rabid bunch of Umineko fans

I hope volume 2 sells well I want episode 5 and 6 to be animated Twisted Evil

Other wise they flopped with the fact they thought people who liked Higurashi would buy Umineko's anime

Last edited by ninjapet on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
heh, now IF we can get someone in R1 to decide to license Bakemonogatari... for that I might even buy a blu-ray player.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
animeboy12 wrote:

No, more like, it's nice to see Anime I think are good doing well, and not the series I think are crap. That's what vulcanraven01 was really saying. And I agree with them. Bakemonogatari is the second-best Anime show this year, in my opinion. It deserves to trounce K-ON, which it arguably is doing.

or better yet you think it deserve to trounce k-on

(Your not gonna get me on the Bakemonogatari train as I hate Shaft's style)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:

Bakemonogatari is just as "otaku" a show as K-ON! is.

The constant fanservice (of which, in K-ON! there is hardly any), the anime parodies (Doraemon references), the schoolgirl molesting (Mayoi Snail, I don't think I need to say more).

About the only thing Bakemonogatari accomplished was cutting down on animation by cutting to a "Black" or "Red" tile screen every minute or two. Also, there were some different camera-angles shown as well.

I really don't get why people bash K-ON! and praise Bakemonogatari. Especially for something as inane as being "moe" (whatever you want to think that means) when Bakemonogatari has the aforementioned schoolgirl molestation and tons of schoolgirl nakedness (Nadeko Snake) and a decent amount of fanservice involving Senjougahara/Kanbaru/Hanekawa as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bakemonogatari is a fine show. Not my favorite by SHAFT, but I can see why it's so popular. I just get weary of reading how K-ON! is so terrible for being "moe". I think what people hate about it is its slice-of-life nature, but then again, Bakemonogatari is mostly slice-of-life as well, with lots of crazy supernatural elements thrown in the mix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1