• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: You're Under Arrest Second Season DVD Collection 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Carl wrote:
Section 23/Sentai Filmworks may as well have sent this series into the world in its birthday suit. No extras (of note), no dub, and thirteen episodes jammed onto two discs in a single DVD case: it doesn't get any more bare-bones. Oh yeah, and they really need to reign in their copy-writer. The back-of-the-case synopsis is plain embarrassing.

I can think at least of at least one step down: Hentai DVDs like Kitty Media's Ride of the Valkyrie that have CG cover art, a half dozen postage stamp size screencaps on the back, and nothing inside the case aside from the disc itself...

Oh, and also those Imaginasian DVDs that Rightstuf used to sell in paper sleeves. Laughing
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote
I started watching this on AnimeNetwork but really haven't kept up with it. It's a decent show, but waiting a week for the "next exciting episode" just isn't there.

So, I turned to TRSI to see if I can steal this series for a song. Not yet, but it's primed. That's when I noticed the second season and all the other stuff.

I instantly thought at this point, "Great, it's another DB series wrapped in police uniforms" and this review pretty much summed it up. Sure, the ongoing stuff can be entertaining, but certainly not in a marathon form (which is how I like to watch stuff).

No matter. If these DVDs drop to $3 a piece, every episode of YUA will be mine, taking up shelf space right next to Yumeria.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
The review's synopsis:

Quote:
Having been saved some years ago by Natsumi and Miyuki, the twin stars of Bokutou Police Station's traffic section, Saori Saga enters the police academy and upon graduation gets herself assigned to Bokutou. Where she very quickly has the stars in her eyes tarnished by the behind-the-scenes reality of traffic-law enforcement. The officers of Bokutou's traffic section are a stubbornly weird bunch, a collection of cast-offs and misfits from all over Tokyo who are as concerned with, say mixers and parties in the park as they are with upholding the law. Justice-obsessed Saori is at first horrified, but she soon learns that, in a pinch, there's no one better to have on the side of the law and order than Bokutou's oddballs.

I've watched the first five episodes of Planetes and now I realize it is basically just YUA in space.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
And this was Fujishima's other good series right? I'm hoping it's not a complete snooze. I still have it on my "need to watch" list. I owe Fujishima after all, he drew all those great Tales heroes.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
After waiting several years for any news for the second seasons, its licensed without a English audio? I've wanted to watch the second season for such a long time and this is a major disapointment.

Well no point watching the second season now I suppose.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The review's synopsis:

I've watched the first five episodes of Planetes and now I realize it is basically just YUA in space.

Ohhhhh, no you don't. The Planetes anime is Patlabor in space, and don't you forget it! I'll cut you some slack, as there are points in You're Under Arrest where the line between it and Patlabor are thin indeed. I speak primarily of You're Under Arrest: The Motion Picture (currently out of print in America, as are the original OAVs), which is really, REALLY similar to the first Patlabor movie. In other words, it's pretty awesome.

The next exciting installment of Otaku USA will contain my review of this series, and while I normally don't talk much about dubs, I made a point to lament the lack of one here because if I had to think of a list of anime titles where the English version was just as good if not better than the Japanese, You're Under Arrest would certainly be one of them. I guess Section23/Sentai hasn't actually made new dubs for anything on account that what they're releasing is either "too narrow in appeal" or "too old" to warrant one. They almost assuredly don't have the money to reassemble the old English cast again (it was tough enough when they did it for the movie), especially since a check to the ANN Encyclopedia suggests that none of them are still working on anime dubbing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
Right or wrong, this was my second foray into the YUA world. (I had picked up the movie mentioned by AWO from a Best Buy for cheap and enjoyed it immensely.) From Carl's comments, I'm very curious to see what the first season was like. (hand drawn animation, nice dub, etc.)

The show was not all that bad, it was enjoyable enough with individual plots of the various episodes, sometimes held together with overall plot threads with the two lead characters and their efforts with their attempts at keeping a relationship going.

At least the price is right, picking up a series like this with a TRSI sale on Section 23 shows. (if you missed it, it'll come back around in due course)
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
as there are points in You're Under Arrest where the line between it and Patlabor are thin indeed. I speak primarily of You're Under Arrest: The Motion Picture (currently out of print in America, as are the original OAVs), which is really, REALLY similar to the first Patlabor movie. In other words, it's pretty awesome.

Wow, I had almost completely forgotten about the YUA movie & you're right, it is really good... I was surprised at the change of tone but thought it worked pretty well, may have to check the usual sources & snag a copy. I've been watching the original series on ANoD & it has renewed my interest...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Blood- wrote:
The review's synopsis:

Ohhhhh, no you don't. The Planetes anime is Patlabor in space, and don't you forget it!

Heh, I'll defer to your opinion as I have not seen Patlabor (yet) nor YUA for that matter. I'm guessing the "starry-eyed" rookie whose illusions of his/her new dream job are destroyed by the reality of the zany misfits around him/her is probably common enough to be considered a fullblown TV trope.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
as there are points in You're Under Arrest where the line between it and Patlabor are thin indeed. I speak primarily of You're Under Arrest: The Motion Picture (currently out of print in America, as are the original OAVs), which is really, REALLY similar to the first Patlabor movie. In other words, it's pretty awesome.

Wow, I had almost completely forgotten about the YUA movie & you're right, it is really good... I was surprised at the change of tone but thought it worked pretty well, may have to check the usual sources & snag a copy. I've been watching the original series on ANoD & it has renewed my interest...

I was luckly enough to purchase YUA the motion picture. The best thing about it is that the animation is top notch and a step up from the first season.

YUA The first season was licensed by AnimEigo. Most of the episodes are fairly well written, the problem is that the animation is lackluster and supbar and done on a very very cheesy low budget, I'm talking VERY low budget.

If I were you, I would overlook the lame DVD cover, YUA Season 2 or "YUA 2000" is quite rare. There are little to no fansubs availible for it at all. There were about 10 years ago and several bootlegs VCDs were still floating around the internet.
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with your sadness at the transition to "heartlessly shiny CG." Granted, the first TV series was pretty obvious in its low-budget animation.

If you're first getting into YUA (or even if you have seen some before), you simply HAVE to watch the movie and the original OVA. These are the only YUA DVDs I own. The first DVD of AnimEigo's YUA TV series is actually the OVA, and it stands perfectly well on it's own. The animation is amazingly better than the rest of the series, too; the only thing that matches it is the movie.

So if you can find the YUA movie somewhere, get it. And everyone should buy the first DVD of the first TV series if they're not sure if they want to get into the rest of it, because that first DVD is really just the much better standalone the OVA episodes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be nice if the manga were all translated and published? My money thinks so. Wink
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
Saw this on the Anime Network but it was a bit lackluster, plus their line up of Utena and Ghost Hound kinda made me forget YUA 2 was even there after a while.

Bought the YUA movie a few weeks ago for 3 bucks, but having bought Le Chevalier and NANA haven't had any time to view it. I've put off watching YUA but many here are making me want to put aside the current series I'm watching for the film. Is it really that good?
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I've put off watching YUA but many here are making me want to put aside the current series I'm watching for the film. Is it really that good?

Could be worse; they could have stolen the plot of W-XIII instead.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

I can think at least of at least one step down: Hentai DVDs like Kitty Media's Ride of the Valkyrie
Fecken Jaysis! Who wrote the plot synopsis for that? Looks like it was written by a Japanese Engrish student. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2