• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Right Stuffed!

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
To dub or not to dub: Let's make this clear if I haven't already. I'm NOT touching any of RightStuf, Bandai, or Sentai's subbed stuff until they finally wise the fudge up and DUB. Dub, goddamn it! Hell, you don't have to just use any of the New York, Texas, or California studios--there's always Ocean Studios up in America's pimp hat, Canada, eh? (At least they're good for something besides hockey, moose, syrup, and shitty Anne Murry CDs.) Last time I checked, it was cheaper to dub there than here in the States, given the exchange rates. At least don't use Odex--God their dubs of One Piece and Karin were terrible! But believe me, those voice actors are HURTING for work. Seriously, Shawne, just stop being so damn cheap and DUB, damn it!

Case in point: Emma. Just...Emma. Come on, it's set in VICTORIAN ENGLAND! THEY'RE NOT EVEN SPEAKING JAPANESE! Is it that much trouble to get some British VAs or even American or Canadian VAs who can do good fake British accents to dub it? Hell, look at Hellsing's dub--half the cast was limeys!

Know this, kids: I'm not touching RightStuf, Sentai, Media Blasters, or Bandai's sub-only stuff until they open their goddamn eyes, stop alienating us dub fans, and DUB THE [expletive] SHOWS.

My name is The_Libertarian_Otaku, and I approve this message.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
predictable stuff

Did you actually listen to the show or did you just run in here to copy paste this ignorant nonsense?
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
predictable stuff

Did you actually listen to the show or did you just run in here to copy paste this ignorant nonsense?

I listened to the show, and what I said isn't ignorant. It's the truth.

Prove me wrong.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Case in point: Emma. Just...Emma. Come on, it's set in VICTORIAN ENGLAND! THEY'RE NOT EVEN SPEAKING JAPANESE! Is it that much trouble to get some British VAs or even American or Canadian VAs who can do good fake British accents to dub it? Hell, look at Hellsing's dub--half the cast was limeys!

Well if you want to be SUPER accurate to the show you would have to get actors that not only had British accents but Victorian (Edwardian?) era British accents which are apparently very different from many modern day British accents. And seriously, I would imagine that it would be even harder to get foreign VAs for a niche show. So have fun with your subs!

And I would like to say that I actually liked Shingu. Only seen the first DVD but the slice of life plus alien invasion just worked for me, guess I'm a sucker for slice of life then.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
predictable stuff

Prove me wrong.

I hope you are being sarcastic, but if you aren't it would behoove you to know that your last statement is the most obvious [and juvenile] of logical fallacies.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
predictable stuff

Prove me wrong.

Well, you can't have listened to the show before posting that first message, because the show went up 29 minutes before you posted it, and it's 54 minutes long. So there's your proof. As for your other nonsense, it was just a long rambling command, so there's nothing there to refute.

(BTW, Ocean is not much cheaper than a non-union US dub. It's all around $6-7K an episode these days. Weak American dollar.)

Last edited by jsevakis on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote

Prove me wrong.

The burden of proof here is on you, pal. You've 'heard' it's cheaper to dub at Ocean, but you don't appear to have any numbers to back any of this up. In the show it was discussed that the cost of dubbing something can exceed even the original license cost - so you're paying more than twice your initial investment to bring the show to market with a dub.

Ocean is not so bargain-basement that it undercuts American prices dramatically enough to offset the real expense. You 'think' it 'might' be but you really have no clue. Again, you're not the one crunching the numbers, you're not the one doing the math. Shawne is the one doing that, he's the one who is, you know, actually in the business and not some angry fan demanding unreasonable things in an anime forum. He said he'd dub if he could but the margins are simply not there. Period.

You're being unreasonable. But then again there is simply no convincing people like you.
Alexander Morou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Amazing how some people can be completely oblivious to logic and reason to the point of spouting 'truth' without statistics, testimonials or an expert or two to prove their side.

It's the basic rule of business, if it will, undoubtedly lose you money, don't do it. It's a basic risk vs. gain scenario. You don't do it, at least, if you want to be in business very long.

On a side note, the intermission was amusing.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
predictable stuff

Prove me wrong.

It's not truth, it's your opinion. Sorry to inform you, but there is a difference. Saying "We need dubs!" is not a true statement, it's your personal opinion.
I can prove you wrong by showcasing my shelves full of sub-only releases. I can live quite fine without dubs for certain shows, and I know that there are plenty others out there like me. However, I'm not going to be arrogant like you and state that it's a truth that dubs are unnecessary, because there are plenty of people out there that do want dubs. It's all a difference of opinion.
By the way, I think everyone knows exactly how you feel about this debate, so how about you continue to not buy sub-only releases, and stop ranting about the issue. It's not your money on the line, and the issue is not going to change because you keep complaining about it.

To Mr. Kleckner - I have to say that I love Rightstuf and Nozomi. I've said it before, but Nozomi is hands down my favourite licensor right now. Also, I hear that show Aoi Hana is totally awesome, and would be very nice to have on DVD.

Last edited by Quark on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
...I'm NOT touching any of RightStuf, Bandai, or Sentai's subbed stuff until they finally wise the fudge up and DUB.
I understand the frustration... if anime always had dubs, and no subs, I would feel the same way. But I think they made the point in this ep as well as last weeks (Geneon) that dubbing is expensive, and certain shows will never sell enough to justify a dub. RightStuf, Bandai, and Sentai aren't doing this to piss you or other fans off, but the fact is that these companies need to make money. So why would they spend the thousands of extra dollars if they're only gonna move a few extra units? anyway...

Zac, glad that someone also didn't like the UP flying dogs. I also had issues with the high-pitch vocal gag, but eh... Anyway, glad you both liked Fantastic Mr Fox. Too bad its bombing at the box office.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, so RightStuf won't licensed series that doesn't have an ending, eh? Does ones with sequel hooks count?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
I remember that Fruity Pepples commercial. Ah, nostalgia! Ho-ho-ho, I'm hu-hu-hungry!

I like Shingu quite a bit, I wonder why I've never picked it up on DVD. It was a real charming series, even though it was a little too casual for its own good. It reminded me a bit of Tenchi Muyo in that regard, but even more mellow. I can hardly believe how cheap it is to get the thinpack. I should get it.

I still don't own a Blu-Ray player. Perhaps soon, but not yet. I'm not entirely convinced it's worth my money at this point, especially considering how little money I have.

Anime is foreign film. Anime dubs are still an extra, not a necessity, in my opinion. But you can never satisfy the anime fandom. Some fans think they're paying more for anime DVDs because of anime dubs, which many fans dislike on principal, and thus champion "no dubs" for cheaper prices. Others insist on a dub in every release. I champion sub-only releases as quickly as possible and then later bilingual releases, if it can be afforded.

It's weird, because when there are no dubs, people will bitch, but when there are, they bitch about how bad the dubs are. The question is, which group can you make the most profit from? Sell to those folks. It's still a business, not a charity. I'll be satisfied as long as the subtitles are good.

A good podcast as usual, Zac and Justin. I like to hear your opinions on anime properties, even when I haven't necessarily seen them yet. And even over the sounds of police and fire sirens. But didn't I also hear mouse clicks? Are you multi-tasking during the program?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
I like Rightstuf, they have very handsome releases and try to package their shows with nice extras, be they plushies, artbooks, or postcards from a Martian Venice. Dubs can be nice, but I never feel like I'm losing a whole lot from not having a spoken English-language take on it. If a dub is the most important aspect of the show, then I guess you could shut off the TV's display and just listen to the speakers when watching anime.

Haven't watched Honey and Clover, but I can say that most of the college-aged anime I've seen tend to be better than a high-school equivalent. Ah! My Goddess, Ai Yori Aoshi Moyashimon, Nodame Cantabile, Genshiken, they're all good examples of shows with school in the, but not held to the typical bullshit that highschool anime tend to have. And I don't miss the uniforms at all. In reality, all highschool students in Japan do is study, sleep, and study more.

On HD, I contest that most TV anime are definitely not worth it. They just don't have enough detail or visual-oomph to make any kind of difference between a DVD and a 1080p BluRay, even 720p is too much most of the time. Really, it feels like it's best reserved for OVAs and movies that actually have a budget.

Very informative interview, I love Rightstuf's releases as of late. And hopefully it will help silence some people.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:56 am; edited 3 times in total
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Last week was my first ANNCast due to Geneon. This week was obviously not quite as revelatory, but still an interesting listen--I don't even want to know how much money I've spent at RightStuf in the past year and a half.

With all the fervor over sub-only releases, I've been curious as to why a handful of Nozomi's titles are DUB only? I would have purchased Kimba The White Lion long ago if it was a hybrid or sub release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:

With all the fervor over sub-only releases, I've been curious as to why a handful of Nozomi's titles are DUB only? I would have purchased Kimba The White Lion long ago if it was a hybrid or sub release.

Wasn't it because the original Japanese audio weren't included in the original licensing agreement or presumably destroyed a long time ago?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13