• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How long does it typically take you to read manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truered

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I can burn my way through stuff quite quickly if I want to, and if it's enjoyable. I can remember sitting on my bed and zooming through volumes of Bleach Laughing

However in recent times my eyes seem unable to concentrate as easily as when I was younger. Combined with wanting to make it last "longer" I nowadays read a chapter or two and then leave a bookmark. However that's usually for in progress series.

If I have all of the volumes in a complete series I can quickly work my through. But my reading time can vary quite widely.
Dezakore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Truthfully, it takes me about 20 min to an hour to read a full volume of manga depending on how much dialogue there is, how many pages there are, and if it's in progress or complete. Bleach takes me no longer than a half an hour to read were as Buddah took me an hour. then there's black bird which took me a week (because vol 3 doesn't come out untill February) It really depends on how fast you read the material and how it holds your interest, for example Vampire Hunter D vol. 11 took me 5 hours to read the entire novel.(for some reason I couldn't put it down)
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Well I can read 17 pgs in like 2mins so I figure I finish a volume in like 20 mins. When I read manga I just skim plus clicking is faster than turning the page.

If it's a manga like One Piece I just look at the pictures. Characters rarely say anything important since they are always screaming, crying, and fighting instead of actually talking.
synn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I read 18-19 pages in say 5-10 minutes. I'm sketching person, can't say artist. So i look at each sketch with some depth.
wicked86

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I think it takes me about 30-60 minutes to complete a manga, depending. If theres alot of text then it generally take a bit longer.

I guess my mood has alot to do it with it as well, if its a new manga I've been waiting on for awhile, I get through it pretty quickly.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't like speeding through manga, I like looking carefully at the images and taking my time. I can't say any specific time for reading a manga but I can say it's not very fast.
PaperbagKisses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm annoyed with myself because i takes no time at all to read through them, only because I love it so much, I wish I could be like those who take a few days. The amount of times I've read the same volume is crazy becuase I've run out of new ones.
Cool
spartydragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the manga. Stuff like Bleach I can blow through in twenty minutes - same goes for Trigun. Gintama can take an hour though, it's pretty wordy.

I usually read my tanks a few times. First time through is just to see what happens, so it usually goes by fast. Then I take my time and take in the art on subsequent readings. Trigun Maximum kinda requires this method because of all the stuff going on. Anime hyper

Actually, now that I think about it, the only manga I DON'T blow through is Gintama. Reading Sorachi's like reading Terry Pratchett - you just can't read it fast or you'll miss all the good stuff.
elloshiions

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
When I get into the manga, as in, liking the storyline, the characters and the artwork, it takes me less then an hour to fully complete the manga.. However, though, if the manga is poor with art and storyline, i feel uneasy on finishing it and may put it off for several days or weeks...
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
It usually takes me around 20-30 minutes to read a manga volume, if I'm enjoying it. I keep meaning to slow down a bit and enjoy the art.
ParkerMMP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you guys are really good!

It usually takes me about an hour to read a manga and about six hours to read a novel.
killua9101

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
around 30 minutes, which makes me sad because i wish they would last longer Confused
WantCoke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
I dunno how fast i read mangas myself. I think it depends on the manga i read, whether they're wordy or very interesting or a 20-pages per chapter manga or a 40-paged one or whether it sucks and u want to get it over with... things like that Razz

I think my average for a standard 20-paged manga is arond 13-14 hours for 100 chapters...? more or less i think..
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the pacing, anywhere from 1/2 an hour, to an hour, sometimes longer- I might linger on a page or a scene if it's a really visual manga. I find Chronicles of the Cursed Sword is the quickest paced thing I've read- it gets a lot done, but it just moves along at a brisk straightforward pace.

Something really verbose though, takes a little longer too. European comics tend to have very compact pacing and are pretty talkative since they're serialzied in 4-8 page chunks in some cases, so they read a bit slower. US comics are usually inbetween that and manga, as they're a little more fast paced due to higher page counts, but also have to have enough happen to make it worth your 3 bucks.

In the end, it all varies according to the artist/writer involved...
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
A long time. Since I live far from a bookstore and don't buy that much online, I have to make it last! And that's another problem in itself. Because it's a bit hard for me to get manga, I fall behind on series (Gantz is at 10, and I'm only at 7! Crying or Very sad ). But it takes me around a couple days to read a full volume, but I could read it much faster if I had volumes to spare (especially Gantz Embarassed ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3