• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special - Part I

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't decide to listen to this now, or wait until I get on a plane tomorrow. Hmm. Now that I'll think about it, I could just do both, especially if I get really bored. I also found it really amusing that after downloading it into my iTunes it labeled it 'Blues' Very Happy I'll probably edit this later with my thoughts, but for now I will go and listen and stop typing nonsense.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't think fansubs in 2000 needed anything other than broadband to get fansubs, my computers have always been crap but I had no problems getting Love Hina.

You should have mentioned that Watsuki LOVES the name Samurai X, and included it in Busou Renkin.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the decade start in 2001, and isn't there still one more year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Didn't the decade start in 2001, and isn't there still one more year?

It did, and there is. People really seem to be in a rush to say farewell to this decade for some reason though.

Yesterday on NPR's Talk of the Nation program they had a piece called "The Worst Ideas Of The 00's" in which the guests determined that 2000-2009 were pretty much the worst 10 years since the Inquisition. Someone called in to make the same point you're making and the host's response was: "Point taken, we're going on with the segment anyway." Linkness
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, and the new millennium didn't technically start till 2001, but everyone partied in 2000 anyway. Psychologically people just go with whatever year the leftmost digit in the year changes. It's all in good fun.

As long as I'm posting, can I make the excuse that we were recording entirely over Skype this week, and I was in the process of getting sick when we recorded? So if you think I'm a little more annoying than usual this week and rambling and interrupting Zac all the time... well, that's why. I was kinda out of it. Embarassed
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I think Dragonball Z's covers where actually worse than Junkers because it was simply a screen shot. You also missed mentioning Shonen Jump being announced in 2002, and being released 2003.

Zac liked Witch Hunter Robin? I was incredibly bored with the plot, and I remember how Sci-fi was going to make a live action version.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The reason to celebrate for 2000 was because all four numbers were changing at once, now that's a rare occurrence.

But yeah, the technical decade has one more year, I guess we can call this one the "spiritual" decade.

Yes the new dub for AKIRA is better, in every way, but the old dub is just awesome to watch. And I've seen Gunparade March, for some reason my friend had bought it randomly. It was interesting, but forgettable; reminded me of Brain Powerd for some reason.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
ugh :/ hard to believe that i was just starting in middle school in 2000 and i was just still obsessed with Sailor Moon and Digimon at the time and experiencing my newbie phase

but yeah, this brought up alot of memories for me while going through the show, so thanks for that and can't wait till next week's

and I still love the Utena movie and "Icky" Kunihiko Wink

Last edited by kawaiibunny3 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
I liked Malcolm in the Middle, for a while. Whatever happened to that show? Did it ever end? It just sort of disappeared at some point.

My Cowboy Bebop TV DVDs still look great, despite being the first release.

Macross Plus never got a good DVD release. Such awful transfer.

Wow, forget my comment last week on Justin's "fake laugh", after Zac read that Answerman question, his laugh didn't sound fake at all.

I went to BAAF in 2002. Saw the premiere of the English dub for the Cowboy Bebop movie (in the theater under the Virgin Megastore), and even met Shinichiro Watanabe, Toshihiro Kawamoto, and Yoko Kanno (and got their autograph). It helped that AXNY was across the street. It was the first anime "event" I'd ever been to. I always regret that I never got the chance to meet Yoshiyuki Tomino during that. I don't think I was that big a Gundam fan back then. I had a fun time, though.

So, come to think of it, I guess I've seen Justin in person before. I never put two and two together on this.

I friggin' loved Metropolis.

The Fox Kids version of Escaflowne should not be considered "the dub". The dub in itself is decent. Kirby Morrow and Brian Drummond are solid in it. It's the Fox Kids reversioning that was awful.

Oh god, Zac loves Moulin Rouge, too? That was a great movie!

I was the one who bought Patlabor when CPM was putting it out. At least, a little bit of it.

The Escaflowne movie was beautiful, but the plot was nonsensical, even for fantasy. For one thing, it was too damn short. A couple of scenes after Van is threatening to kill Hitomi, she loves him forever and ever.

I've heard good things about Dubine. I'm a pretty big Tomino fan, too, so I'd like to check it out at some point.

You know, you two can argue a little more passionately. It's almost like you're afraid of disagreeing with each other.

I have not yet seen Tokyo Godfathers.

Hate Witch Hunter Robin (oh so boring).

Love Insterstella 5555. Mostly for Leiji Matsumoto, but "Discovery" was a good album.

That third Tenchi Muyo OVA, my god, is the most enraging anime I have ever seen in my life. My head hurts from anger just having heard you mention it. If I could permenantly erase one anime production from history, that would be it.

Birth? BIRTH? Oh god, that was a weird, weird anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
midnight hentai marathons Laughing

funny part is they blew up the White House in the same episode of Read or Die.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
Eh, I still think CPM did a great job with the Project A-Ko remaster, even if it was from a Laserdisc source. The retouched colours came out so vivid and I definitely appreciated seeing the top and the bottom of the movie's picture for the first time. And I loved the commentary and the Japanese documentary where it's mostly the animators talking about their tastes in girls. It's possibly my favourite single anime DVD that I own, though it helps that it came with the soundtrack CD in the same package.

Two things I'm surprised weren't mentioned for 2003 were Spirited Away winning the Best Animated Feature Oscar and ADV Films' big Cannes announcement that they were working on the Live-Action Evangelion Movie, sparking off alf a decade of the same non-announcement announcement where every half a year or so where they say major studios are clawing each other's eyes out in a bidding war over the rights and they've almost signed an Oscar-winning director and the big announcement about when the film's going into production is just a couple of months away.

Last edited by Tenchi on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BDK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
I gotta say I really enjoyed this episode. I got into the anime fandom around '05 and even then people were talking about "the good 'ol days", so it is really interesting to finally hear what those days were all about. I'm sure hearing "do you eat crab" must have been priceless.

Really looking forward to the next episode and, personally, it didn't even phase me that this was over Skype. Rolling Eyes
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Eh, I still think CPM did a great job with the Project A-Ko remaster, even if it was from a Laserdisc source. The retouched colours came out so vivid and I definitely appreciated seeing the top and the bottom of the movie's picture for the first time. And I loved the commentary and the Japanese documentary where it's mostly the animators talking about their tastes in girls. It's possibly my favourite single anime DVD that I own, though it helps that it came with the soundtrack CD in the same package.

I'm still pretty proud of that disc, and we wouldn't have used the LD if we didn't think it was the better option. I just recently saw the Japanese DVD, still letterboxed and, despite looking sharper, also looked quite a bit worse IMHO. Those masters were in such terrible shape that really, anything would have been an improvement.
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I bought that Gay Undead Detectives DVD boxed set.

]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
On a tangent, CPM used the Japanese DVD for the Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer remaster, right? I'm pretty sure that's the case because you get a split-second glimpse of the Japanese DVD menu when the movie starts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5