• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dennō Coil Gets Japan's 1st GPS Augmented Reality Campaign

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Why is it suddenly being called "Den-noh" Coil? The encyclopedia article was just Dennō Coil before and the hyphen is quite jarring.
If I had an iPhone and was in Toyko I would so be having a go at this but.. I'm not. I do already have a Dennou Coil "Angou" t-shirt that I'm rather fond of though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Why is it suddenly being called "Den-noh" Coil? The encyclopedia article was just Dennō Coil before and the hyphen is quite jarring.
If I had an iPhone and was in Toyko I would so be having a go at this but.. I'm not. I do already have a Dennou Coil "Angou" t-shirt that I'm rather fond of though.

According to one t-shirt in the attached press release, it's Den-noh Coil.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like that program from Eden of the East.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
According to one t-shirt in the attached press release, it's Den-noh Coil.

That's.. annoying. Much as I dislike macrons this just looks wrong.

[edit]Gah - the cover of the Roman Album backs it up as well Sad[/edit]

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Sounds like that program from Eden of the East.

My favourite AR demo I've seen was a game using an iPhone (or something similar) and a map drawn on a desk. The map turned into 3D on the phone screen with zombies running through the streets. You could place bombs by putting skittles down on the map.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mikuru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else find it kinda weird that Dennou Coil is being promoted even though it came out a while ago?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
Does anyone else find it kinda weird that Dennou Coil is being promoted even though it came out a while ago?

I was wondering the same thing. Denno is going on 3 years old. Is it getting a new anime or Blu-Ray release or something?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
The novels are still ongoing in Japan and it is a natural fit for the technology being showcased.
The Mask

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused. From what I understand, this is the first GPS-based Augmented Reality promotional campaign in Japan. But the title says it's the "1st Augmented Reality Campaign".

The thing is, I've seen an augmented reality campaign just recently which involves the Red Cross Society in Akihabara:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/12/21/japans-red-cross-uses-augmented-reality-to-get-geeks-to-donate-blood-video/

So, I'd like to clarify on what exactly is the article trying to say, because the title and the content appears to be telling two different things (from what I see).
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
This is ultra cool, and I can already see the Nintendo using this tecnology in the next portable system after the DS. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is interesting news. Once again the title makes headlines for something that actually exists.

I'd love to get some of the goods but unfortunately I don't live there or would even understand the service. Glad to hear 'Dennou Coil' mentioned again in the news.

Will someone please pick up this show already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1