• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black: Meteor of the Gemini (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
He is not blinded by his own fury because i understand his perspective. Suou might have been enjoyable to some fans of Darker Than Black, or many of those people that like weird or different females, however the truth is that she was not ordinary at all. And yes, she was bland and unappealing.

I don't mind you people listing your own opinion about whether you disliked it or not, but at least make it clear that it's your own damn opinion. Or unless you're trying to make those who enjoyed Suou look like fools. Yes, that's exactly what's pissing me off about your and arachneia's arguments. Hopefully you can understand this one and stop writing provoking posts claiming that said characters are in fact and truly bland or unappealing. Else I'll gratefully and gladly help you with locking this thread.

Stealth poster wrote:
Wasn't this the police officer who in the first season refused a promotion because she didn't feel she properly understood the needs of people (or something like that)? And she's just kind of over Hei, is she? When did that happen?

The first two questions are correct, as for the third, mm, during the Chinese mafia arc I believe.
Regarding Yin, well, there are 4 bonus episodes focused on that, I suppose.
Quote:
The boss of Section 3 decided to go all Rambo on us when we weren't looking?

Haha, yeah.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to jump in here to say that anyone who doesn't assume that anything said by any member on a forum is their own personal opinion and nothing more than that.... probably should start assuming that. Nobody should have to make obvious that their posts are their own opinion because their own posts by definition are a text representation of that person's thoughts. What else could it possibly be assumed to be?

With regard to Suou, while she totally hits a soft spot for me and is one of my favourite female protagonists easily, I think it's her somewhat flat, unemotive personality that makes her that way for me. (Sure she's emotional for a contractor, but as far as a human goes she's quite unanimated and deadpan most of the time. I think that this show allows her to have that unique flavour _because_ she is a contractor; it's the same reason I absolutely loved Yin last season (but to a lesser extent); because she has the inherent coolness of a contractor but is still on some level able to feel. Plus she's just really cute. Ugly people apparently don't exist in anime, or at least not in this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
I'm going to jump in here to say that anyone who doesn't assume that anything said by any member on a forum is their own personal opinion and nothing more than that.... probably should start assuming that. Nobody should have to make obvious that their posts are their own opinion because their own posts by definition are a text representation of that person's thoughts. What else could it possibly be assumed to be?

Right. And have an extended discussion of 5 pages after a massive collapse of opinions causing the appearance of a galaxy sized black hole succumbing us and resulting on a thread lock. Or shall we respect each other by making sure that it's an opinion and not a fact, so we all live happily afterwards?

Quote:
Ugly people apparently don't exist in anime, or at least not in this one.

And then there's Huang.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or shall we respect each other by making sure that it's an opinion and not a fact, so we all live happily afterwards?

Why don't you lead by example and act respectful instead of going ballistic every time anyone criticizes this damn show?
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
Quote:
Or shall we respect each other by making sure that it's an opinion and not a fact, so we all live happily afterwards?

Why don't you lead by example and act respectful instead of going ballistic every time anyone criticizes this damn show?

I just jumped a whole page of criticism. If you're talking about my reply to your post, then yes. I answer rudeness with rudeness, if that's what you're asking about. Besides, arachneia, you're the one going berserk about Darker Than Black since the first episode, and I've been respectfully answering to that, though I really wanted to say a few things about your past post, which I didn't. Now, enough of this, and enough is enough, if you have a problem we can solve this through PMs.

Last edited by egoist on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
You didn't answer rudeness with rudeness, you answered criticism with rudeness, which has been your pattern in this thread since its inception. I can't help it that you feel personally disrespected when people aren't singing hosannas to BONES. If I feel criticizing something that I've invested time, expectations, and emotions in, you better believe that I will.

I haven't been going berserk over this season at all. If my responses to each episode were negative and critical, that's because my immediate impression hadn't been favorable. Oh well. I'm dissatisfied with this season, as its confirmed to me that Darker than BLACK is nothing more than another brainless, action-oriented title, rather than something that promised a deeper look into emotions, humanity, and bonds of fealty and friendship.

Last edited by arachneia on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
If I feel criticizing something that I've invested time, expectations, and emotions in, you better believe that I will.

You didn't pay for it either. Why are you complaining so much? Did anyone force you to watch this? You've been complaining since the first episode, enough is enough arachneia.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
How about you don't patronize me? I don't go "enough is enough" to you for enjoying this season, so don't go telling me what kind of response I should have.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Alright, if you want it this way, so be it. Go on, arachneia, I agree with everything you said, please, I beg you, keep criticizing the same things over and over until my ears are bleeding because of brain damage after reading the same rant over and over. Thank you for your time, madam, and hopefully we won't respond to each other again in case this thread's still not locked until tomorrow.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Dude what the hell is wrong with you? Criticism is just as viable in formulating discussion as praise is, and arachneia's posts have been constructive in their criticism as opposed to generic hate posts which you occasionally see. If this thread is locked I have no doubt that it will be your fault, as you are continuing to lash out at anyone who has the opposing views of this anime to you. You said yourself that no-one forced him to watch the anime; well no one's forcing you to read or like his criticism. But that doesn't put the onus on you to bash anyone that doesn't agree with you. To be honest I think arachneia is showing you far more respect than you are earning when all he has consistently done is provide justification for his opinions, which is more than I can say for you. You act as though this anime is your own creation and that anyone who doesn't like any aspect of it is insulting you directly. It's not yours to defend? Sure if you don't agree with an opinion, post a rebuttal - thus we have a discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Look, Skylark. It was a simple request I made, if you could make it clear that it was your opinion, since criticism is more offensive than a praise. Firstly, the reason I take arachneia's criticism like this is simply because she said DtB is one of her favorite titles, that's why I even bother replying to her rants. Secondly, you're not one to say, you've just locked a thread because of your disgust at men wearing women's clothing. And just like I said, if you can't make sure that it's your opinion, but a fact, I'll gladly be there to discuss back. Now, if you can't take it to PMs then, yes, welcome thread lock. Now, keep going freely, because I won't answer any more of this bologus unless it's in a PM.

If there's a mod, please consider not locking this thread since I'm sure, we, as civilized people, can take this to PMs from now on.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
I won't lock this (yet), but this will stop. arachneia and egoist, both of you step back and cool off.

And for the record: yes, in most cases one should automatically assume that anything being said in forums is a personal opinion. The only time clarification should be needed is when the writer is stating things in such a way that a reader could reasonably interpret them as representing a consensus. (Example: "everyone knows that series X goes downhill beginning in the 10th episode.")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ugzz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to watching the ending and re-watching the entire season.

I still like season 1 better mainly for the reason that the arcs break and tell a number stories that end up coming together. Of course some are "filler" or just background but still, i enjoyed that much more than season 2 which was much more of a straight line.

Overall i am disjointed just because the season didn't go where i had hoped for. I really wanted more focus on contracts gaining emotions, and while it was touched a little, i kind of wanted that to be a pretty main story. But with the last, what, Two minutes of the season they essentially setup like 4-5 totally different places to go. So heres hoping theres more to come once the couple ovas come out.

Also a little sad that they threw spoiler[july and suou out to a "copy" of earth though.] that just tells me they wont be in anymore of the show, unless they take a story that involes that area primarily, which they could do, and you never can tell with this show, but i just don't see happening. Hell it would be interesting if they took a more "realistic" turn and went into spoiler[ how adding a planet to the solar system mucks things up and theres chaos because of it and etc.]

i also wonder if the spoiler[latest gate killed a ton of peple upon opening and whats up with that, but i suppose thats just something were left hanging on to hope for a next season for anyway.. ] I suppose asking that question is like asking a dozen more about the many unturned stones. ahh well.

Heres just hoping for more, but thats what this show does isnt it? Leave you hoping for more
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
ugzz wrote:
Hell it would be interesting if they took a more "realistic" turn and went into spoiler[ how adding a planet to the solar system mucks things up and theres chaos because of it and etc.]

But don't forget that humanity spoiler[doesn't have access to the universe any longer. As said during one episode that anything they tried to send beyond the fake sky disappeared and was lost. So having another planet out there wouldn't really add to anything, unless in future seasons they manage to get the true sky back. Besides, we don't really know if that planet left our Solar System, or do we? We don't even know if that planet exists outside Earth, actually.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought that since the new OVAs are sort of a bridge to the second season, I'd post here. No forum necromancy.

First of all, it is really a relief to see Li Shengshun again. It reminds me of how great the first season was. His interaction with Yin seems to be tailor-made for fans. In fact, it looks like they're compensating for lack of Yin in Gemini - and it feels good, dammit. Finally a dose of something highly enjoyable. Yeah, it's definitely going to be pretty tragic, but at least we know that the ending of Gemini was good... well, no, actually, it was incomprehensible...

Yegads, doesn't Gemini look like a spinoff after this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 23