• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Macek Training

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't hear half of what Macek is saying in this.

Nice to know that he's still rage-inducing well into the twenty first century.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I can't hear half of what Macek is saying in this.

Nice to know that he's still rage-inducing well into the twenty first century.

He's a little quiet but talks for long stretches, so just turn your audio up.
BDK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick question about the theme: this may be asking a bit much, but is there anything that is preferred? Upbeat, Ska, Symphonic? Just trying to get a hint of what you two actually want. Rolling Eyes
tankerboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
About fifteen minutes, or so, ago I logged on and the Carl Macek ANNcast was listed I checked a couple of other item and by then it disappeared. - Is it me? Or did something go awry?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:
About fifteen minutes, or so, ago I logged on and the Carl Macek ANNcast was listed I checked a couple of other item and by then it disappeared. - Is it me? Or did something go awry?

We're recompressing it so Macek's audio is louder (that's what I get for editing it in a very quiet room). It'll be back and more listenable in just a few.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
the guy talks so low... even after the update, i still had to put my volume up higher. interesting content, though.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
We're recompressing it so Macek's audio is louder (that's what I get for editing it in a very quiet room). It'll be back and more listenable in just a few.
Thank goodness! I gave up on it as soon as I got to Mr. Macek's portion, as even at max volume I couldn't make much out. I figured I'd have to wait until later when I could scrounge up some headphones and sit down and really concentrate, instead of puttering about while I listened. Looking forward to hearing version 2 soon.

Edit: It's much more listenable now. Thanks!

Last edited by poonk on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
I really liked your little theme song. It's kinda cool lol. But hey whatever, let's see what else you guys get...

About 2 hours 10 minutes...I better get comfortable lol!

The whole Voltron thing...that's where John O'Donnell got his start too. He was working for whoever was doing that show. That's so weird that everything seems to go back to that show. Guess if it weren't for Voltron we wouldn't have CPM and Robotech might not have come out. WoW...odd Never saw it myself lol.

I did see some of Robotech though. Never really got into it though. That shows really before my time, and I guess that's that. I did like it, but it's not anything I really went gaga over. I also saw some of the original (Macross? Southern Cross one of those) and really don't know/remember what was what anymore. Liked them all, but not really anything I want to watch more of.

On sales of anime: "Maybe even a decline?" A fall off a cliff perhaps... Razz

ADV, CPM, Streamline and U.S. Renditions...ah the companies that made the industry what it is today...Urotsukidoji: sold as much as something big Streamline had? LOL. That was in the movies though, so that makes sense.

ADV the mircrosoft of anime...hehe.

The three beep thing...yeah I heard a some of ADV actors disliked that since they never used to do that. I don't think that they "didn't know how to do ADR", it was more like they were kinda doing their own things though, in their own way. Guess it might not be the best way to do it lol...

I don't think ADV thinking more fan oriented was totally a bad thing. Because hey they really cared about their fans, hell over their profits sometimes. And hey I'm a fan Smile .But that was the real problem, you can never run a company where profits aren't very important. I love them for putting out so many amazing shows, some of my all time favorites, even though they sold terribly. But that really hurt them. And they should have been paying attention the mainstream a little more perhaps, but I can't fault them for careing about the hardcores...I place more of the blame on the hardcores for not supporting them then ADV themselves. I mean how can you blame ADV for giving the fans what they want?

Macek likes dark stuff/thrillers etc. ? Cool me too!

Ehh...I really like ADV dubs, going all the way back to their old stuff. They were always the best studio out there dubbing. I never found any of their dubs "unnatural".

Roujin Z yeah...it's such a weird thing for him to be credited on lol. I own the DVD though. It's a decent movie, but nothing that great. Oh and that's sooo weird that people working at Sony have no idea what their doing with the sound. You'd think the people in Japan whose job it is do music/sound at Sony would have some clue lol. As far as the dub goes, it's one of the very few Bakewell dubs I'm not much of a fan of too Sad . He's done much better, like Dominion Tank Police, A Wind Named Amnesia and Cyber City...). I like the little extra feature thing on CPM's DVD though, where it's like a little trivia game about the movie. Whoever came up with that at CPM, props. Cool little thing Wink . Nothing amazing, but hey I liked little stuff like that sometimes. Shows some effert, at least there's ONE extra feature on the DVD...

Last edited by Prede on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Wow. That was a great interview. So very, very informative on so many topics, especially the nebulous pre-CPM/ADV/etc era. The Harlock story at the end I think took the cake, honestly, but it's always fun hearing about the dysfunctional environment that was ADV.

I remember liking COPS. Campy fun.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
tankerboy wrote:

Much, much better. Thank you very much.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
I can't thank Macek for much. Never having grown up on Robotech, my first exposures to the franchise was through Macross Plus, Frontier, and the original before I watched the others. A lot of people tend to say that Robotech really made anime into this big thing, but looking back, it never seems that way. Shows like Voltron, Star Blazers, and Robotech were all fun and nice and what not, but did people really know that these things were actually Japanese? It feels like that that aspect didn't start to become bigger until the early 90's when shows started coming out in more uncut forms, retaining the Japaneseness of the production.

Robotech is an anomaly now, it's not really relevant aside from a few crappy sequels, and the franchise is holding on by a diehard string. With no one growing up on it, and no else really entering into the fanbase, I can't imagine it lasting too much longer. It really is just an 80's cartoon in the end, locked into the 80's.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:40 am Reply with quote
Carl Macek didn't invent anything. He slapped together three unrelated anime and gave it a title. If I slap together Death Note and Monster, and call it Psychopaths, am I an inventer? I'll say as much as Robotech was a lot of people's introduction to Macross, and anime in general, but Macek and Harmony Gold has been a hinderance to a lot of Macross fans for years.

You do have to admire some of the marketing creativity, though. But that's the only creativity he has.

And maybe it's because I'm biased against him, but he has a very creepy-sounding voice. It sounds almost like Emo Philips.

There are plenty of leitmotifs in Macross, Macek has no effing clue what he's talking about.

My god, I remember C.O.P.S.! It was so bad, but it passed the time and the toys were okay.

John K. is a douchebag. He's so snooty, putting down all cartoons that aren't traditional "wacky antics" shows. He says that cartoons should never be serious. I loved Ren and Stimpy, but some of the things he says on his blog and elsewhere is pretty disgusting. I'm glad that since Ren and Stimpy, his career has been an utter failure.

Hey John, Billy West was an even better Ren than you ever were. Eff off.

Those Lupin III dubs from Streamline were godawful. Context be damned, bad is bad. Point me to the halfwits who appreciate those.

"Derp, cartoons are all dubbed anyway, why have subtitles?" Because it's foreign film, you splooge stain.

Tapeworm is a proper name for something Macek is involved in.

Oh good, it sounds like the police are coming to take Macek away.

What made ADV think hiring Carl Macek, already a revilled figure in the anime community, was a good idea? ADV dubs were already mediocre at best, but bringing in Macek?

If you think ADV dubs were any worse than Streamline ones, you have a short memory.

The Dubine dub/subtitles are widely panned by pretty much anyone who has encountered them. Letting Macek handle that was a huge mistake. That you laughed off what he said about that makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

"I'm a story teller". Yeah? Well the stories are already told. You're not supposed to tell stories. They've been told. You just have to bring them to us. You want to tell stories? Write a [expletive] book.

He really seems to think that Robotech is superior to Macross because it sold a lot. Macek, nostalgia is a powerful thing. That's all I have to say about that.

If his philosophy is taking your time and doing things right, why has he never done so?

It's like he doesn't know he's a complete joke in the anime fandom.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Tapeworm is a proper name for something Macek is involved in.
I thought it was 'Macekre'?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
finally finished the whole podcast... wow. this guy's like the Rob Liefeld of anime. i don't fault him, though. i mean a job's a job. still... damn
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What made ADV think hiring Carl Macek, already a revilled figure in the anime community, was a good idea? ADV dubs were already mediocre at best, but bringing in Macek?

If you think ADV dubs were any worse than Streamline ones, you have a short memory.

The Dubine dub/subtitles are widely panned by pretty much anyone who has encountered them. Letting Macek handle that was a huge mistake. That you laughed off what he said about that makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

"I'm a story teller". Yeah? Well the stories are already told. You're not supposed to tell stories. They've been told. You just have to bring them to us. You want to tell stories? Write a [expletive] book.

Leaping over the massive chip on your shoulder, I would argue that it's more a problem with Dunbine just kinda being a boring, terrible show. The best dubbing/script in the world wouldn't save it. You're taking the wrong lesson away from it, anyway. The story wasn't really meant to be him leaping to save this poor show, it was more to showcase the amateur atmosphere that he was subjected to at ADV.

Anyway, Harmony Gold has always been on my bad side not because of anything Macek did, but because I'm a rabid Battletech fan and Harmony Gold just can't/won't stop with the Unseen mechs. (How do you approve their redesigns for use in products to the consumer, then turn around and sue them again when they decide to actually use them? We'll never see Mechwarrior 5 at this rate...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10