• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktchme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Angel Sactuary
Evangelion
clannad
claymore

Some gorefest to recomend

Hellsing
Elfen Lied

And some mind..ers.

Chaos head not really interesting but is good when you have a lot of free time.
Ryozo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for some manga with echiiness! Notice I didn't say echii manga. I'm looking for manga with a good story, probably romantic comedy but it doesn't have to be, and character development that happens to add in a good dose of echii to the mix. Echii mangas tend to put fanservice above all else, and the actual story suffers because of it. =\ But of course echii mangas with excellent stories are welcome too. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, here's a list of manga/anime in the same category I've really enjoyed/been enjoying:

Ranma 1/2
Maison Ikkoku
Love Hina
Negima
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
FLCL
Chobits
Seto no Hanayome
Ichigo 100%
The Familiar of Zero
Ane Doki

I've also read to-LOVE-Ru, Rosario Vampire, and Sekirei by the way. Those weren't bad. And I wasn't too fond of A.I Love You or Ai Yori Aoshi. I hope some of you get the idea of the type of manga I'm looking for, and thanks in advance =D
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's mostly pretty mild stuff. Alright, try Dance till Tomorrow. Or something by Masakazu Katsura (I"s, Videogirl Ai, DNA²).
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Or something by Masakazu Katsura (I"s, Videogirl Ai, DNA²).

^^^ I definitely second this. Katsura's work is right up your alley. I think you'd really enjoy I"s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
Just putting my two cents in...

First off, if you haven't read Skip Beat!, Beck, Chrno Crusade, or caught up of Host Club yet, even if you've seen the anime, you need to just stop whatever you're doing and get on it right now!

Some non-mainstream stuff I would recommend anybody:
Bride of the Water God (manhwa, but who cares it's so beautiful!)
Girl Got Game
Recipe for Gertrude
Sugar Sugar Rune
Takeru: Opera Susanoh Sword of the Devil
Waq Waq
Moyashimon

And if you're wanting something different for a change:
Song of the Hanging Sky
Blame!
Tramps Like Us

Last edited by silver_deeds on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
kxe50

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
Hello! I'm looking for a manga, type: romance.

I have already read

1 - Pastel
2 - Video Girl ai/len
3 - Ichigo 100%
4 - I''S
5 - Ane Doki
6 - Oh my goddes.

I really fell in love with Pastel and Ichigo, is there something similiar? I don't dislike ecchi, neither drama or sport.

For example, i like everything of Adachi, i liked Chrono Crusade, Karekano ecc... Very Happy
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote
Shoujo is fine too? Oyayubihime Inifinity is a short series (6 volumes) with a strong female lead and a good sense of humor. I've heard some male readers complain about the unmanliness of the main male character, but since de main characters in shounen romance series tend to be spineless losers as well...

Moving on to the more obvious choices:

Maison Ikkoku is a very charming series, possibly the best Rumiko Takahashi has ever produced. It drags on a bit, especially in the end, because of the endless miscommunications between the characters, but it's also very funny.

Chobits is another series you should consider. I'm not very fond of it myself, but if you like stuff like Oh! My Goddess and Video Girl Ai, you'll probably like Chobits as well.

A romance series that's quite popular right now is Emma. It's a great choice if you don't mind a Victorian romance. The enthusiasm of the author for all things Brittish is very contagious.
kxe50

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot.

I also read Honey & Clover, beautiful.

I don't like Chobits, but i will try Emma, Maison Ikkoku and Oyayubihime Inifinity.

(They don't seem to be that similiar to Pastel and Ichigo, but if they are good series, then why not?).

Others?
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
I've seen all of Death Note anime and liked it, but wouldn't rate it any better than Good. I've heard that the manga is somewhat different, so is it worth my time to check it out?
Niomo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
I enjoy Gantz, Hajime no Ippo, Detective Conan and Berserk.

Diverse group I've got, eh?

I got into Gantz beacuse of it's horrible ending in the anime. I had heard that the manga was still on-going and was just better. And I agree.

Ippo is Ippo. The anime is awesome, and the manga is awesome too.

Conan. Lol. Well, yeah, it's a "kids" manga, I suppose. But I enjoy the overarching plot as well as the little mini cases that he solves.

And Berserk. My favorite manga. Once again continuing where the anime left off, the story continues and it is amazing.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
I've seen all of Death Note anime and liked it, but wouldn't rate it any better than Good. I've heard that the manga is somewhat different, so is it worth my time to check it out?

I thought the story was a bit easier to follow in the manga and it doesn't have those over-the-top scenes. Sure, potato chips are still being eaten dramatically, but it's not nearly as... well, you know, epicly stupid. Other than that, the manga doesn't offer a much different experience. Check it out if you're still interested in Death Note.
OLady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty much a shoujo reader, but make excursions into other areas.

Shoujo: Mars (motorcycles)
Tail of the Moon (ninjas)
Ouran High School Host Club
Wild Ones (yakuza)
Bride of the Water God (Korean supernatural)
Magic Touch (massage)

Sci-Fi: Eternal Sabbath (genetic manipulation)

Horror: Ghost Hunt

History: Cantarella
Cesare

I would list more series and genres, but I'm too lazy right now to get the clipboard, hunt up the books and make the list.
KitsuneTheFoxgirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
These are some series (no anime adaptation, people... Sad ) that I love:

Black Sun, Silver Moon- Taki, a hardworking young man, goes to work for a church to clear a debt. Shikimi, the lone inhabitant and priest, soon explains that Taki must fight zombies that have been reanimated to save a nearby village. However, Taki learns of a grave secret that has been cursing Shikimi for many years.

Jihai- In the future, humans have created Ravents (sp?), clones that have a set-life. (In other words, they die when they turn a certain age.) Aoi, a 17 year old Ravent with a unique gift, vows to avenge his childhood friend's death, by the war hero Arcline Cole, before his lifespan is up. (18 to be exact.) Aoi has his life turned around when a priest, Tristram, and his friend, Disfield, rescues him and smuggle him out of the country to live a better life. As Aoi grows closer to the two, he finds out something disturbing about the two and is forced to choose.

Shoulder-A-Coffin Kuro- "Kuro" was cursed by a witch. She travels around, wearing all black and bringing only a coffin that she shall one day use and a horde of bats, looking for said witch. One day, she meets Nijuku and Sanju, two small girls with the ability to change form, (preferring to keep their cat ears and tail out most of the time) while hiding in the dungeon. "The Professor" had told them to keep hidden until he came back. One of the bats, Sen, then came and whispered to Kuro that he found a skeleton in a lab coat. Kuro explained this to them saying that the professor has gone to another world. Nijuku and Sanju then vow to find "The Professor." Kuro gained two new traveling companions.
OLady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Black Sun, Silver Moon, but been put off by the zombies. (Yeah, I know, zombies are the new rage, but they still ick me out.) But if you say the story itself is good, I'll try it. Jihai I have never heard of, nor Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro, but both sound interesting. I'll look for them.

Other manga I own:
Beauty is the Beast
Hana Kimi
Model
Cain Saga and Godchild
xxxHOLIC
Switch
Immortal Rain (never to be finished, I suppose)
Blood Alone (another never to be finished)
Wish
Tsubasa Reservoir (I need to get the later volumes, perhaps, considering the previous comment in this thread)
Crown (in Japanese and English)
Haruka (in J and E)
Tarot Cafe
Punch!
Backstage Prince
Vampire Knight

Some I have seen only in scanlation (too old or obscure maybe to publish in English):
Tokyo Crazy Paradise
Midnight Secretary (not a lascivious story)
Kindan no Koi de Ikou
Kindan no Koi wo Shiyou
Zoku Kindan no Koi wo Shiyou (These three are one continuous story, very deep, emotionally mature, very satisfying. If she is ever published in this country, I will buy anything by Ohmi Tomu. I suspect that there is no niche for her: it's more substantive and less explicit than the average romance, but adult romance readers wouldn't buy it in its graphic novel form.)
Hana to Akuma (just too darned cute. I want someone to publish this so I can hold it in my hands. Demon raises human child on a whim.)
Dengeki Daisy (I want to hold this one, too. Part mystery, part coming-of-age, part love, part school)

Does that help with further recommendations?
dUK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I'd love to hear some recommendations from some of the manga fans out there.
I'm a bit of a novice. But what really peaked my interest was Blame!, then I realised its going to be a huge hassle to get a full set, so I'd really like something similar.

So far I've read and enjoyed:
NOiSE
Akira
Vagabond (only a little bit)

I've heard that Pluto is good, so might try that but would love further suggestions.

Many Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 33