• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Gintama, Hidamari Sketch x 365 Anime

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prede

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Nice...great to see neo-ADV still picking up some great stuff. Also shouldn't it be mentioned that Petite Cossette is a rescue from Geneon?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
wait a minute... does this mean ADV has Gintama? i'm really confused about this announcement. if so, how the hell is that possible? you'd think Bandai would do more with such a big license.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeDoll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Gintama! Yay!
Prede

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wait a minute... does this mean ADV has Gintama? i'm really confused about this announcement. if so, how the hell is that possible?

Yes that's what it means. It's not really ADV, it's really Sentai and Section 23. Same thing...kinda. How is this possible? Uh...they paid the Japanese studios money? Like they always do. That or magic Laughing . I'd bet on magic myself. Fairy dust... and grinded unicorn horns makes a license appear. Really not sure what kinda answer your fishing for here lol.

Last edited by Prede on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
v1cious wrote:
wait a minute... does this mean ADV has Gintama? i'm really confused about this announcement. if so, how the hell is that possible?

Yes that's what it means. It's not really ADV, it's really Sentai and Section 23. Same thing...kinda. How is this possible? Uh...they paid the Japanese studios money? That or magic Laughing . Really not sure what kinda answer your fishing for here lol.

i don't know... it's just weird that they palm off such a big license like nothing.
akatsukinotobi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting Viz or FUNimation to license Gintama. But I'm glad someone picked it up for distribution Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alangaruku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
What happens to Gintama being on Crunchyroll?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Shocked NO!!!!! I wanted a dub so badly... Anime cry
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
alangaruku wrote:

it didn't effect Naruto
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I laughed when I saw "Sentai Adds Gintama". I knew people were going to be happy that it was finally licensed, but there is going to be a big backlash of those unhappy with no dub.

Anyway, I'll give it a try if they place it on Anime Network on Demand. It'll give me the chance to see if they have gotten better with their subs (compared to Clannad), and if I'll actually enjoy the show, since I've heard a lot of about it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
alangaruku wrote:

Absolutely nothing, presumably.

Maybe if Section 23 is smart they might pay for some advertising on CR... or cut a deal for cross promotion perhaps.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I have to say it is nice we are getting Gintama however this really is one of those shows that should have had a dub. It's really hard to keep following a show as long as this with subs only.

The other side to this is that if section23/sentai can't afford to dub some of the 12 episode series they have released there is NO WAY they could afford to dub upwards of 200 episodes.

Perhaps if it does really well they may re release it with a dub however I'm not holding my breath.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I laughed when I saw "Sentai Adds Gintama". I knew people were going to be happy that it was finally licensed, but there is going to be a big backlash of those unhappy with no dub.

Anyway, I'll give it a try if they place it on Anime Network on Demand. It'll give me the chance to see if they have gotten better with their subs (compared to Clannad), and if I'll actually enjoy the show, since I've heard a lot of about it.

I doubt there might be a dub knowing Sentai and their latest releases. They have gotten better with their subs, Blue Drop didn't have any spelling error from what I hear and someone lost their job as a result of those mistakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
(begins singing "Hallelujah" and "Celebration" while dancing)

This is so awesome. Besides When They Cry Season 2, Gintama was my most wanted license. I own all the manga volumes out so far, as well as the Gin PVC, so I can't wait to start buying the anime sets. Very Happy
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
...What?

Asatte no Hoko got licensed?!

Shocked

****ing SOLD.

Also, it's nice to see Gintama finally coming out here in some form. Pity that it likely won't have a dub, though I can imagine that translating this in English would've been a considerable challenge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16