• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: With the Light Manga Creator Keiko Tobe Passes Away

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
I'm sad to hear this and so sorry for her family. I bought WtL at the Yen Press booth at NY Comic Con one year and enjoyed it so much, I went back the next day for another volume. I think it's interesting to see how autism might be handled differently in Japan.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?! Nooooooooooooooooo!!! My favorite mangaka in the whole wide world is DEAD?!? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!! I can't believe it!!! She's the best mangaka ever!!! She did one of the best mangas ever!!! I...I...Ugh!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
She sounded like a sweet person. R.I.P.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
52 isnt that old..and she never got to finish her series. But what there is of it, is very good. She must have liked that the story was appreciated even outside of Japan.
RIP
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
WHAT??? ARE YOU SERIOUS????
This is some unbelievable news. I am totally and utterly stunned. I loved this woman's work. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

This is very sad news. I send my deepest condolences to her family, friends and fans. I wish to give my deepest praise to a woman who touched many lives in helping them understand and cope with the everyday trials of disable children. She did a great service to her community. I also want to thank Yen Press and whoever else (before) for recognizing her work and introducing it to us. She will be greatly missed.

R.I.P. Keiko Tobe-san! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Midwestern Tanuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
Crap, how sudden. This was the one title I felt I could get away with reading at work. I found the storyline and extras helpful and refreshing since you can only read so much text and go to so many meetings on the Autistic spectrum before it all starts running together in a slight glaze. Hopefully Yen Press will release the remaining volume 7 (13/14) after next month's release of volume 6 (11/12).
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
What?! This is so sudden...I really enjoyed With the Light...It was so interesting and a nice change. RIP...I send my condolences to her friends and family.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
52 is far to young in this day an age. My heart goes out to her family, friends, and fans. Within the Light was a wonderful series. I now feel more motivated than ever to submit a review of it to "Right to Left."
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
And to think that I just saw this at a Border's the other day. It's a shame.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
I didn't know about the hiatus and her illness, it's so sad that it had to end this way. She wasn't able to see her creation grow up and neither will we Sad
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
Damn, what a shame, and so young too. RIP, Keiko. I'll invest in WTL, and I pray that she left notes to complete the story. This is the kind of stuff that needs wider exposure in the comics world, and beyond. Definitely one to give out, to whoever gets on soapbox about manga.

Hate to say this, but there seems to be a worrying trend of japanese anime/manga industry people dying off of late. Over the last decade, we've had a few, and now Keiko Tobe.

Boo hoo, a sad day indeed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, they're only human, they will all die eventually. It's just sad the ones who died recently weren't really that old, died in really crappy ways and left their creations unfinished.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Adding to that last post, perhaps the ANN crew should think about a tribute episode of the podcast, to all those industry people who've died (mysteriously or otherwise) over the years.

Why do this? Well, a lot of fans don't know or care who creates what they love, unfortunately. Perhaps when these special people aren't around anymore, such fans will realise, it takes little to remember a name or appreciate good piece of work openly.

It would also be a nice thing to do, even with the industry being a black whole at the moment.

What do you think?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
....but it sounds very good, I will pick this up. Sad this is how I hear about it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
With The Light is an incredible series. Anybody who has been in comtact with autistic children, whether in a personal or proffesional manner, will be touched by the realistic depictions of the unique challenges autism presents.

I have worked with autistic kids, and I lent this book to a freind of mine who taught special ed (and had never read any manga previously) and we agreed that WTL presented a mostly realistic take of a family coping with autism. I personally find it fascinating that with all the ideas of "cultural differences" in psychology (I.e. Anorexia presents itself mostly in American females; Hikkikomori tend to be Japanese males), autism is the same in every culture while still being a unique experience to every individual and family affected by it.

I am sorry that Ms. Tobe passed on so early in life, and that she (and we) will never realize her dream of watching Hikaru grow up iinto a productive adult. She should be honored for presenting autism, its challenges and its treatments in a comprehensive and understandable manner. She will be missed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2