• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Parent Navarre Reports 3Q Sales Drop

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Arrrgghhh!!! Nooooo!!!

FUNi has Kai, though? I didn't know that. Holding off from buying DBZ all these years may finally pay off.

Edit: Oh, I see yesterday's announcement.

Last edited by Lemoncookies23 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:15 am; edited 2 times in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'm sure other companies would kill to make what they're making.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Or the weak sales could be due to the fact that the company's been betting on more mediocre shows than shows people actually want to own. Rolling Eyes
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
The translation I got was: we had a rough year, but everything is under control and our foundation is solid.

Seems like Naverre is doing okay.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
Now that they got Dragonball Kai, sales should go up once dubbing is complete and DVD's come out.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
Well counting out BCI and it's only a 10% drop is sales. Considering how crap everything is now, that's not so bad. It is also important to recognize that they are returning to a rather consistent profit (relatively the same amount as before all the impairment last year).

Cary Deacon wrote:
Funimation's "digital initiatives continue to provide double-digit growth."

Well sure, if you make $.01 one quarter, and $1.01 the next quarter it's a 10,000% increase. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
that's what happens when you have crappy releases, you lose money.

if funimation would give us the shows we want we would buy more.

we all know that shows like Toradora would sell like crazy, but instead they get shows like the big windup and they crap out.

and of course they wont release the rest of the series so those who like the show will have to go online to see it, great way to stop piracy,
thundertooth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
Just curious, what is their fiscal calendar year like if they're reporting on Q3 2010? Unless they meant to say 2009 in the article.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

Actually, the article states that they had lower sales figures, but they did not lose money. They reported a positive net income, which means that they made a profit.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

This is what happens when buying DVDs becomes too expensive and alternatives, such as streaming and renting, cause the fall in sales.

Quote:
if funimation would give us the shows we want we would buy more.

I don't believe this to be a true statement.

Quote:
we all know that shows like Toradora would sell like crazy, but instead they get shows like the big windup and they crap out.

And here's the proof. There's no way in knowing Toradora will sell like crazy despite fan appreciation for the series. After all, FUNimation tried to quell the "It's the same shit!" crowd with the release of Big Windup and it still failed despite appreciation from those who did take a chance with it.

So, it looks to me as though FUNimation simply can't win regardless what they license and bank on trying to find unexpected successes, like the series Spice & Wolf.

Quote:
...great way to stop piracy,

Can you show me where piracy has ever stopped? Moot point. The focus should be on lost sales, not piracy. A focus the industry isn't really addressing at the moment as I see it. Though, it's really hard to tell anymore.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
[quote="PetrifiedJello"]
mudduck454 wrote:

Quote:

And here's the proof. There's no way in knowing Toradora will sell like crazy despite fan appreciation for the series. After all, FUNimation tried to quell the "It's the same shit!" crowd with the release of Big Windup and it still failed despite appreciation from those who did take a chance with it.

So, it looks to me as though FUNimation simply can't win regardless what they license and bank on trying to find unexpected successes, like the series Spice & Wolf.

Is he a visionary to know that Toradora will burn the sale charts, becase I have the same interest in Toradora that I had for Big Windup!... NONE AT ALL!

Last edited by Vicserr on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
I'm just baffled that FUNimation had announced the acquisition of Kai this early while they're still in the middle of releasing the Dragon Boxes. I can't help but think this could wind up turning into another Evangelion Platinum Set vs. 10th Anniversary collection fiasco again.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
They said that even though sales are down they DIDN'T lose money, unlike Hollywood who always complains that they're losing money from piracy, half my purchases last year were from Funimation, and all the stuff I've bought or pre-ordered is from them too, so they're not doing too bad if they're still getting my money in this bad economy.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
i dunno, i read the article to mean, 'we released fewer titles so sales are down'. then again, my corporatespeak-ese is a bit iffy.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Or the weak sales could be due to the fact that the company's been betting on more mediocre shows than shows people actually want to own. Rolling Eyes

How did I know you'd take this view?

Quote:
In the Q3 2010 Navarre Earnings Conference Call on Tuesday, Chief Executive Officer Cary Deacon said Funimation "met internal targets for the quarter," but a "weaker release schedule ... and a weak general DVD market" contributed to the decline in sales.

Meaning the parent company understood it's been a rough economy & Funi performed to expectations. All the anime fans who lost their jobs probably aren't buying as much if any product. Most of the companies I'm seeing are just looking for a way to ride out the storm & hope for better times somewhere down there in the future whenever things turn around.
And for all those who want to insist anime is recession-proof, it's not. The perception to most economist was that mommy & daddy paying allowances to kids who have no bills to pay=pure discretionary spending, but if one or both of the household incomes goes away, the teens are probably seeing their allowances cut or even eliminated, thus no discretionary spending. If anything, those people who were in those homes they couldn't afford & have lost them have all seen drastic revisions to their budget including any allowances paid to children.

Quote:
I'm just baffled that FUNimation had announced the acquisition of Kai this early while they're still in the middle of releasing the Dragon Boxes. I can't help but think this could wind up turning into another Evangelion Platinum Set vs. 10th Anniversary collection fiasco again.

But not all of us are buying the Dragon Boxes. I have all those old singles on my shelves except for the first 2 Dragon Box I had to get to get the Japanese tracks of what was released dub-only back then.
Kai is not DBZ. Yes, some will go with Kai only, but my understanding is Kai is edited, thus I can see I will likely have to pick it up, but it does not replace my DBZ dvds as the Dragon Boxes would. It's like those Gundam movies made by slicing up the series--we have the footage in the series, but the movie is another take so some can see the justification in buying them.

Quote:

Sez you.
I want Kuroshitsuji, the Saiyuki OVA Burial as well as the Gaiden one they're working on, Kyo Kara Maoh OVA & Season 3, whatever yaoi titles no one's released...
...but I'm not holding my breath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2