• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-05]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I really hate the "cartoons are just for kids" mindset, makes me wonder what those people consider Family Guy and The Simpsons. The anime club at my college can't show anything about PG 13 because of this old idea, apparently a few years back there was even a banned list of anime from the club council (ironically enough, if they were aware that there was anime with more "adult" themes in it, such as Elfen Lied which was on the list, why did they still think it was just for kids?). We could probably challenge it and say we're a film club (I think we even operate like a film club to an extent) but the officers are a little hush-hush on the matter.

And I watch more anime streamed these days than anything else, hands down. Legal or fansubs, my DVD collection is just starting to take off and with no TV I don't have a lot of incentive to bring my DVDs along with me. But I love my DVDs and their pretty packaging/extras dearly and wouldn't want to stop buying them just because I lack a TV.
bonfire123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
anime will not be mainstream in america because we have such a strong live action audience due to hollywood.
and I don't suppose the terrible 'reality' show craze is helping either
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Your Taco Bell joke didn't confuse me! I thought it was hilarious!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I was'nt confused by the Taco Bell letter either. Feel bad for that guy though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought that letter was a fake. It was just too "neat" to be true.

Brian, that was an extremely unprofessional and stupid act, and you should be utterly ashamed. You were being a prick. A prick who abused his position just to engage in slander for his own amusement. If a writer at the New York Times did that he or she would be fired immediately. You should be too, Brian. Of course, knowing Zac, he'll probably defend you. Two sick peas in a pod.

Mad

[If you're going to question someones actions on the forums, be they a member of the staff or just another user, then do so respectfully instead of resorting to name calling and personal attacks. - Keonyn]

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I see sarcasm begets sarcasm.

Also, I think you're underestimating the audience size for KyoAni's Key game adaptations a little there Brian.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Idiots like that flake don't deserve any sympathy and they should be mocked until they no longer exist. The world's a cruel place, so boo-fricken-hoo. Hopefully he does wind up in prison and the inmates take care of the problem quickly so I don't have to pay to house him for too long.

Anyways, I still watch the majority of my anime via DVD. Bittorrent fills in the gaps for when a show doesn't get licensed, or serves its purpose until a show does get licensed, at which point I'll buy the DVDs and rewatch it on them.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
you touched on a point Brian that really sings with me. Anime as a medium. it runs the gamut as far as genres go.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Question of the Week: The bulk of my anime viewing is still on DVD. I have a BluRay player now, but I'm holding off on buying anime BluRay's until there's something I actually want on domestically-released BluRay (i.e. K-On!).

As I've established many times before, I'm a total physical media guy who spends hundreds of dollars on anime DVD's a year and I have absolutely no interest in switching to buying downloads. The moment the domestic industry goes download-only will be the moment I cease supporting the domestic industry as they will not be giving me the product I want. I do watch streams of unlicensed shows like K-On! and Minami-ke with regret that it seems like more and more (or is that "moe and moe"?) of the kinds of shows I enjoy are being passed over by the domestic licensees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Brian, that was an extremely unprofessional and stupid act, and you should be utterly ashamed. You were being a prick. A prick who abused his position just to engage in slander for his own amusement. If a writer at the New York Times did that he or she would be fired immediately. You should be too, Brian. Of course, knowing Zac, he'll probably defend you. Two sick peas in a pod.

Mad

Are...are you serious??
Ummm correct me if Im wrong but the whole point of the Flake of the Week section is to make fun of these people.
The Taco Bell Email Joke was hilariously funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Mad

Are...are you serious??
Ummm correct me if Im wrong but the whole point of the Flake of the Week section is to make fun of these people.

Not to mention that it's pretty hard to slander an anonymous person. There wasn't even so much as a screen name mentioned. The whole point behind "slander" is an attempt to ruin someone's good name with false statements. If none of us have any idea who this person is, then there was harm caused to that person's image.

As for my viewing, I still mostly go with DVD and the rare new episode on TV. It mostly comes down to wanting to watch in English. Most of the recent stuff seems to be subbed because it's simulcast or just recently licensed, and so I end up having to wait. By the time it does show up dubbed online, I've probably already watched it with Netflix.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:57 am; edited 2 times in total
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
Sound effects used to be fairly common in the openings of old giant robot and other SF shows.
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
I normally rent it on Netflix first, and if I like it I buy the DVD. As someone previously mentioned, I'm also a "physical" person and like having hard copies of the stuff I like to watch.

I do watch on the internet if the show isn't available to rent or buy at the time, but I'd much rather watch the dvd.

Hopefully the DVD side of the industry will be around for a long time. I really would rather not clog my computer with anime episodes.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, Vic M really has become the whipping boy of anime.

Also, I really hope dtm42 was making a lame attempt at humor.

Maybe Brian has created a new ANN meme, dude you just got tacoed.

well...maybe not.
mckg1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
Well, i think the Biggest change is anime on Blu Ray. I am trying to collect anime on Blu Ray now. One great exaple is D.Gray man. I am planning to get the whole series on Blu Ray(Have season one part one on BluRay). If the choice is there then i will pick Blu Ray over DVD but not that many anime titles have release on Blu Ray( Tower of Druaga which I bought the DVD box set season one and plan on buying season 2 when it comes out on what ever format it releases). I do hope in the near future animes like FMA:BH will release anime on Blu Ray and DVD on the same date. In other words I want to increase my Blu Ray anime collection. I like how it looks so freaking clear and HD! Its a great viewing experience!! Love me some HD ANIME lol Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7